Trikki Beltran's bad concussion and his helmet

Old August 25th 05, 12:37 AM
Jasper Janssen

Default Trikki Beltran's bad concussion and his helmet

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:17:47 -0400, "Lee" lee_AT_SHOES_wheelman_DOT_com
wrote:

So the important question is - is this the longest running thread on usenet?
Sure seems like it!

Are you kidding? In a mere two or three weeks and a niggling 1000 posts?
Legendary usenet Threads That Would Not Die tend to be in the more than a
year, over 5000 messages ballpark. Under that, don't even bother.

Jasper
Old August 25th 05, 04:09 AM
SMS

wrote:

So the important question is - is this the longest running thread on usenet?
Sure seems like it!

Are you kidding? In a mere two or three weeks and a niggling 1000 posts?
Legendary usenet Threads That Would Not Die tend to be in the more than a
year, over 5000 messages ballpark. Under that, don't even bother.

A good chain lubrication thread can easily beat a helmet thread!
Old August 25th 05, 04:49 AM
Dave Vandervies

In article ,
Bill Sornson wrote:
Dave Vandervies wrote:
In article ,
Bill Sornson wrote:
Dave Vandervies wrote:

If you[1] catch me posting again before the end of the weekend, beat
me over the head with a crushed helmet or some other suitable
implement.

Just wear your helmet. {smiley thing went here}

When am I supposed to be wearing the helmet? For the beating that was
supposed to discourage me from posting until I'd taken a weekend off?
That'd've kind of defeated the purpose. (See? Risk compensation!)
For the computer work I ended up doing instead? It didn't go as well
as I'd've liked, but since I Don't Do Windows I was in no danger of
wanting to beat my head on the wall or anything, so a helmet
wouldn't've helped any there (and no, I'm not going to wear a helmet
just so I
can use Windows without hurting my head banging it against the wall).
For the ride that'd've been rather more helpful than just a weekend
off? Can't do that until I get my bike back (hopefully today).

Sheesh. In the time it took you to write THAT you could have geared up for
/another/ ride!

[Smiley retained this time]
:-P

(Hmm, I think I like it better quoted. Evil unibrow tongue-sticking-out
smiley, almost like me in real life.)

Yep, and probably would've done so instead of writing it if I'd had a
bike available at the time. Finally got it back from the shop later
that afternoon.

40km in the last three days, and I'm already feeling (and hopefully
acting) much less grumpy.

dave

--
Dave Vandervies

It's the humans I'm seeking to educate, not the computers.
--Ben Pfaff in comp.lang.c
Old August 26th 05, 05:24 AM
Tom Kunich

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Tom Kunich:
That is to say that accidents in which a motorcyclist is killed from a
head
injury alone and in which the head injury therefore sustained could be
mediated by a motorcycle helmet to less than lethal are so rare as to be a
statistical freak. If you read the accident reports and the statistics you
can arrive at no other answer.

Still sounds fishy to me. Perhaps not on a purely technical/legalistic
basis -
but I'd guess there are plenty of non-lethal head injuries that cause
lasting
damage.

It depends on what you call "lasting damage". In fact the human body is
pretty resilient and seldom has permanent damage that isn't lethal. This
isn't to say that there aren't people out there with permanent brain
injuries but they are remarkably rare and the greatest number I ever ran
into was two brain damaged people in on large metropolitan location. And
they were ambulatory types meaning that they lived their lives by
theirselves but at diminished capacity.

Long time ago, some drunk nailed me on my Yamaha YDS-6 when I was going
about 50
mph. I was wearing one of those Bell helmets that come down low on the
sides
and the back of the neck, but don't cover the face.

I flew through the air head-first in a sort of swan dive posture, hit the
blacktop face-first, and things deteriorated rapidly from then on.

Cracked the helmet, suspect I wound up putting my dentist's kid through at
least
two semesters of college, and saw flashes of light for several days
afterwards.

My feeling is that even if that helmet didn't save my life, it probably
kept me
from becoming even more of a raving idiot than I am.

We had a parts girl in the motorcycle shop where I sold bikes when I wasn't
working a real job who had a similar accident on her Honda 750 4-banger. She
was afraid that it would damage her rather mediocre looks but in fact after
a year you couldn't tell it ever happened and her personality made up for
any lack she might have had in the beauty department to begin with.

I was the Safety Director for the American Federation of Motorcyclists (AFM)
at the time and I analyzed the helmet. It didn't do anything but the thin,
clear, plastic face shield seemed to have limited the facial damage to road
rash.

Every accident I investigated was so obviously a fatal accident with or
without helmet that it was simply a waste of time to even bother with it.

Wear a helmet if you like. I don't think that they will cause an accident.
But remember that neigther will they save you in one.

Old August 26th 05, 05:26 AM
Tom Kunich

"Curtis L. Russell" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 05:36:18 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

Uhhh, dude, you know there are people who travel w/o cars sometimes --
like walking or even (gasp) on a bike. Are we supposed to carry a GPS
at all times too?

JT

Good point. Yes. Need to ask my son to get me a good buy before they
tear down the signs.

I can be a guide for the out-of-towners when I retire, if they have a
GPS with a really big read-out.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

That reminds me of people out in the higher priced neighborhoods in
Connecticutt always destroy the road signs so people cannot find their way
around their areas and stay away.

Old August 26th 05, 06:14 AM
Bill Sornson

wrote:

Uhhh, dude, you know there are people who travel w/o cars sometimes
-- like walking or even (gasp) on a bike. Are we supposed to carry
a GPS at all times too?

JT

Good point. Yes. Need to ask my son to get me a good buy before they
tear down the signs.

I can be a guide for the out-of-towners when I retire, if they have a
GPS with a really big read-out.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

That reminds me of people out in the higher priced neighborhoods in
Connecticutt always destroy the road signs so people cannot find
their way around their areas and stay away.

But...but...how does the UPS truck find 'em to deliver bike parts?!?

Old August 26th 05, 01:46 PM
Buck

Jay Beattie wrote:
"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
This post is solely intended to drive this thread to 1000

posts. Please
pitch in.

I'm in. So, how does this compare to "Sheldon is a Party Doll."
Attention Carl Fogel -- you have a research assignment. Which
thread is longer? -- Jay Beattie.

Not sure which is longer, but I think this will be the 1,000th post on
this thread....

-Buck

Old August 26th 05, 01:47 PM
Buck

DANG! Missed it by one. Ok, so this will be the 1,000th post....

-Buck

Old August 26th 05, 01:52 PM
Buck

Alrigh, alright, so my news reader was a bit confused and I'm too tired
this morning to count. Let the flaming begin.

bah.

-Buck

Old August 26th 05, 02:37 PM
The Wogster

Bill Sornson wrote:

That reminds me of people out in the higher priced neighborhoods in
Connecticutt always destroy the road signs so people cannot find
their way around their areas and stay away.

But...but...how does the UPS truck find 'em to deliver bike parts?!?

If the driver can't find the street, then Mr Snob Hill, can just drive
his SUV to the depot, and pickup his stuff himself.