A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OT Pedestrian on Sidewalk struck & KILLED by bicyclist.

Old June 27th 13, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default OT Pedestrian on Sidewalk struck & KILLED by bicyclist.

Coming back from my early morning ride I stopped at a MvDonnald's foe a coffee. Was reading yesterday's Toronto Sun newspaper and saw an article about an old woman in Mississauga who was struck and killed by a bicyclist riding on the sidewalk. What a shame that was. The bicyclist has been charged with hit and run causing death. This seems to happen now and then.

Cheers

From the Toronto Sun:

First posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 04:43 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 04:48 PM EDT

Shui-Fen Chan was killed after being hit by a cyclist near Burnhamthorpe Rd.. W. and Central Parkway W. in Mississauga around 11 a.m. on June 12.

MISSISSAUGA - A 52-year-old man has been arrested for a deadly hit-and-run that claimed the life of a senior in Mississauga two weeks ago.

And it was a cyclist — not a motorist — who ran the 71-year-old woman down.

Peel Regional Police say Shui-Fen Chan was found lying on a sidewalk near Burnhamthorpe Rd. W. and Central Parkway W. around 11 a.m. on June 12.

She was rushed to hospital with life-threatening head injuries and later died.

At the time, police located a damaged silver Schwinn mountain bike and a white baseball cap with the letter “B” on it not far from where the senior was fatally hit.

“It’s believed the cyclist was riding on the sidewalk, strikes the woman, then leaves the bike at the scene and flees,” Const. Thomas Ruttan said Tuesday.

Ruttan said the Major Collision Unit conducted an extensive investigation and identified a suspect.

Michael Kowal, of Mississauga, is charged with failure to stop at the scene of an accident causing death.

Although it’s rare for cyclists to kill pedestrians, it does happen.

Ruttan, who has seen it “at least once” before, reminded cyclists that the law requires them to stick to the road.

“Any time you ride on the sidewalk you risk hitting pedestrians,” he said. “And this shows the unfortunate consequences of what can happen.”
Ads
Old June 30th 13, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

theres a difference between a cyclist and just some guy riding a bike; in which case the latter seems more fitting. the problem is this guys thoughtless actions are taken as representative for a whole group of people.

Old June 30th 13, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan
external usenet poster

writes:

theres a difference between a cyclist and just some guy riding a bike;

Just reading the report, I half wondered if the bike had drop
bars flipped DUI style.

snip
Old July 1st 13, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll
external usenet poster

when I ride down the path or drive across, I look for a jersey clad egomaniac whistling along oblivious to danger to hisself or to me if I'm on a bicycle.

'Passing on the left, passing on the right'

snot likely.