Climbing and Age

Old June 10th 20, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Climbing and Age

My ride yesterday I was trying to keep my speed down all the first 18 miles of the ride so that I didn't burn all of my energy off. When I got onto the climb that had seemed to work. I wasn't keeping close track of the Di2 gear I was in and I believe that most of the bottom 8 to 12% climb was done in a 25 cog instead of the 28 I was intending (saving the 32 for bailout).

I was using the Emonda and I started out with no trouble shifting but as I started getting tired I kept forgetting which switch pushed you in what direction. So using the Di2 will take a bit more time to get used to.

The manual DuraAce is VERY hard to get correctly setup so that it doesn't drag here or there. I'm still working on that. But it does shift so much better than Campy that I don't be returning.

I have the DuraAce Di2 that I intend to install on the Colnago and I have a whole lot more faith in the Colnago because it is made in Taiwan than had it been in Italy. Colnago's lugged construction is a failure waiting to occur. Maybe not often and not early, but eventually. However, Colnago is still selling an entire line of "road" bikes that are made in Taiwan.

While looking at saddles on eBay there was a saddle similar to my San Marino for next to nothing so I bought it new from China. When it got here I couldn't figure out what was in the package and opening it was surprised that it was the saddle. It weighs almost two ounces and that is ALL. It also has a total center cut-out and it is not an uncomfortable saddle. At least for the 37 miles I did yesterday. I did not find myself stretching my back all the time like I've been doing with the Prologo. Though I think that I bought the last one of that production series. I bought a set of titanium axles for the Keo pedals since they have red clips to match the Emonda but they don't feel particularly light and perhaps a better idea is to simply get another set of the Tour de France pedals which would save another 3 ounces.

So far I have had absolute morons trying to buy my stuff off of Craigslist and I suppose I will have to put them on eBay instead. I like the idea of not having to pack and ship and worry about good delivery. But I don't like some moron emailing me that he would offer 25% of the asking price.

I have three bikes to get rid of and all three of them are great bikes. The Redline Conquest (58 cm) with Di2, the Basso Loto (62 cm) with Campy 10 speed and that absolutely pristine Greg Lemond Zurich (XLarge - 58 cm) with oversize Reynolds 853 tubing that has steering so accurate that you could thread it through a needle. That has Campy 10 speed Record as well with totally rebuilt levers. Apparently people don't know what a good bike is.
Old June 10th 20, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 6:03:37 PM UTC+2, wrote:
[...]

I have the same experience with the Dutch craiglist. I'm trading in my Litespeed Ti fully equipped with Campy Record 10 sp, everything in pristine condition, for my new gravel bike. We agreed on a trade-in price hal a year ago. Since it took so long I thought I will try to sell it myself and make someone happy. Only morons responded who don't know the value of the item so I took it of the Craiglist. Last week I brought some parts that should be used on the new gravel bike by and talked to the shop owner for a while. He was telling me that all the supply chains of bicycles and parts are ****ed up because of Covid-19 and the demand of second hand bikes was booming and he could offer an extra 100 euro for my Litespeed because he already has a couple of customers who were interested in that bike. How things can change in a short period of time.

Lou
Old June 10th 20, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 10:46:05 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Hey, that's an idea. Thanks, I'll call the local steel bike shop.
Old June 11th 20, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 13:33:47 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 12:06:39 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 09:03:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

So far I have had absolute morons trying to buy my stuff off of Craigslist
and I suppose I will have to put them on eBay instead. I like the idea of
not having to pack and ship and worry about good delivery. But I don't
like some moron emailing me that he would offer 25% of the asking price.

I suggest the you raise your price to 4 times what you are currently
asking. Then, when some moron offers 25% of your new price, you
should have little difficulty accepting their offer.

My son did that with his Roubaix -- not four times the price, but he posted it on a local Craigslist-ish site in SLC for a reasonable price, and it didn't sell. He relisted it for more money, and it did sell -- at his original asking price. He tells me that Specialized sells well in the used market. He got a really good price, but the bike had a lot of after-market stuff on it that he had accumulated from his jobs, like a Stages power meter and some pretty high-end disc wheels. I don't know what is deemed valuable in the used market, but its probably none of my bikes.
-- Jay Beattie.

Nicely done. A friend had something similar happen when he was
selling his house in about 2010. He had it priced to sell, which
meant severely discounted. He had a few prospective buyers, but all
of them failed to deliver a workable offer, mostly because of lousy
credit, or inability to scrape together any financing. So, his
realtor suggested that he RAISE the asking price. Everyone, including
me, thought that was a really dumb idea, but lacking time and
alternatives, he did it. The result was instead of poorly financed
potential buyers, an entirely different and better class of buyer
appears to look at the house. They had money, decent credit, and were
able to make a workable offer, at a much higher price. The house sold
quickly and easily.

The lesson here is that if you want to sell something, one needs to
determine what class of buyer should be targeted. Your son would not
do well selling a high end bicycle on Craigslist or eBay, other of
which full of bargain hunters and scammers. However, in a bicycle
shop, it can be presumed that someone who purchases a bicycles wants
quality and is willing to pay for it.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

rec.mtn.climbing ? kolldata Techniques 2 June 7th 10 02:56 PM
Climbing Dan O Techniques 76 September 27th 08 05:41 AM
climbing Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 July 3rd 06 09:26 PM
Climbing OTB p e t e f a g e r l i n Mountain Biking 26 May 9th 06 03:56 PM
Pro Climbing Speeds Simonb UK 6 July 19th 04 11:05 PM