Highway code - possible vs practicable

Old May 10th 07, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Highway code - possible vs practicable

I have been following the reported change in the
highway code with interest and have written to
a few MPs and other representatives.

The trouble is - I can not actually find an official
document that contains the reported words.

I for example refer to the petition
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/
which states:
"The new highway code requries cyclsits to use
cycle facilities 'wherever possible'."

Thing is - it doesn't, at least I cannot find where it says it does.

e.g.
http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/cons...nsultation.pdf

says:
Rule 58 "Use cycle routes when practicable"

No possibility of any possible being possibly in sight!

Can anyone point me to an appropriate document?

Old May 10th 07, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Howard[_2_]

e.g.http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/cons...les_1-97_%20Hi...

says:
Rule 58 "Use cycle routes when practicable"

No possibility of any possible being possibly in sight!

Can anyone point me to an appropriate document?

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/cons...Code_Draft.pdf

Para 61 is the most contentious one

Old May 10th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 10 May, 20:41, Howard wrote:
On 10 May, 19:06, wrote:

I have been following the reported change in the
highway code with interest and have written to
a few MPs and other representatives.

The trouble is - I can not actually find an official
document that contains the reported words.

I for example refer to the petitionhttp://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/
which states:
"The new highway code requries cyclsits to use
cycle facilities 'wherever possible'."

Thing is - it doesn't, at least I cannot find where it says it does.

e.g.http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/cons...les_1-97_%20Hi...

says:
Rule 58 "Use cycle routes when practicable"

No possibility of any possible being possibly in sight!

Can anyone point me to an appropriate document?

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/cons...Code_Draft.pdf

Para 61 is the most contentious one- Hide quoted text -

Thanks a lot. I had soend a few hours googling.

Anyone any idea how to find out which version is the
one "Laid before Parliamant?
I'll have another google too.

This version is _even worse_ than I have apparently imagined.

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/cons...Code_Draft.pdf

Rule 61:
"Use cycle routes and cycle facilities such as advanced
stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings whenever possible,
as they can make your journey safer."

As I read it it instructs me to head for the nearest
such device as soon as I get on my bike and, if complying,
I cannot see any way of subsequently leaving
without dismounting. This is due to it being "possible"
to use the device forever.

What the consequences are of not knowing where the
nearest may be is another worry.

# # # # # # #
Just in case anyone fancies any of it here is what I wrote:-

Dear Mister Cameron,

I am writing to you in your position as Leader of the Opposition and
prominent cyclist.

I was wondering if you had begun identifying the necessary route
changes that you may be required to make to your cycle-route to and
from work once the new Highway Code has come into force?

The existing document reads:-
Rule 47 - "Use cycle routes where practicable."
And that the new version will replace "practicable" with "possible".

In order to comply with this requirement to "Use cycle routes where
possible." any cyclist on the road will require to be either on a
cycle route, or taking the shortest path between two cycle routes, or
the shortest path between the start or finish of a journey and the
nearest cycle route.

This seems to me to effectively make the use of cycle routes
compulsory and to remove the right of cyclists to use other spaces
except in the special circumstance of heading directly to or from a
cycle route.

My understanding is that while the Highway Code is not in and of
itself The Law, courts often take a dim view of individuals who do not
follow the Code and that those violating the Code may for example
expect reduced compensation awards.

Do you think that perhaps some motorists may take the enforcement of
this new 'law' into their own hands and that one consequence of this
new wording will be that cyclists will face increased danger from
aggressive motorists?

Perhaps also you can let me know how much longer you would expect your
journey to take and whether this change will stop you from cycling to
work or if perhaps like many others you will violate the code and
accept the risks of that action (e.g. the risk of being maimed by a
self-righteous bus driver)?

There is a petition on the issue, will you please sign it and ask all
of your cyclist friends to sign it?
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/

Deadline to sign up by: 18 June 2007 - Signatures: 4,975 as of 8th
May 2007.

# # #
I have received NO reply.

Similar sent to:-
Boris Johnston - automated reply

and more fruitfully (well a reply from a person)

Her representitive said that they had been responsible for
persuading the Eve. Standard to publish the article
on the highway code this week.

I see the petition is doing rather well.

Good luck.

Old May 10th 07, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 10 May, 21:10, wrote:
On 10 May, 20:41, Howard wrote:

On 10 May, 19:06, wrote:

[...]

Sorry, that was easy.

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/cons...ion_report.pdf

contains the text:-
"To view the draft Highway Code which has been laid before Parliament
for approval, click here."

and "here" points to the link already notified by Howard.
http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/cons...Code_Draft.pdf

I am reasonably convinced that this is the right one.

More Highway Code and the CTC Bob Downie UK 3 May 3rd 07 11:00 AM
Highway Code Quiz No1 Lab BT UK 33 January 6th 06 01:45 PM
Bit OT - New Highway Code Russ UK 5 February 4th 05 11:41 PM
Highway Code Changes Just zis Guy, you know? UK 14 May 5th 04 10:44 AM