Peloton

Old August 30th 09, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Default Peloton

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:20:52
uk.rec.cycling OG

Ah, synecdoche.

You should have explained to the little man that that's how you were using
the term. Then you could really have been accused of pretension, pomposity
and metonymy.

Clever, I got it.

--
Wm...
Old August 30th 09, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:21:13
uk.rec.cycling OG

"Judith M Smith" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:09:50 +0100, "OG"
wrote:

snip

Why should it be used in any other sense than as part of a cycle race?

Ho, ho, ho

Santa?

Bit early. But Judith has always been a bit previous. Whore, whore,
whore.

--
Wm...
Old August 30th 09, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:14:07
uk.rec.cycling Judith M Smith

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:10:56 +0100, "Wm..."
wrote:

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:05:30
uk.rec.cycling JNugent

That will merely be the first time the word can be found in an English
language publication, irrespective of context.

The idea that it is in common use in 2009 (let alone 1939) is risible.

I'm going to challenge you on that, sweety

Fell free to demonstrate what makes *you* think it is in common usage.

First I don't believe you exist.

The rest is immaterial. Good thing we have a vote result shortly, eh?

--
Wm...
Old August 30th 09, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Wm... wrote:
Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:48:45
uk.rec.cycling "Just zis Guy, you know?"

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:09:11 +0100, Tom Crispin
wrote:

So bringing new words into the English language deteriorates it
rather than adding richness?

The English language is combobulated not constructed.

Guy, never say combobulated again, it excited my aunt and I don't
think we want that to happen again.

But what does your aunt want?

Old August 30th 09, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

OG wrote:
"Judith M Smith" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:36:03 +0100, "OG"
wrote:

snip

First citation in OED is from 1939
That will merely be the first time the word can be found in an English
language publication, irrespective of context.

The idea that it is in common use in 2009 (let alone 1939) is risible.
So, not 'unheard of' at all - indeed it's fairly commonly known nowadays

No it's not.

Feel free to find it being used anywhere you can - other than in use
as part of the race.

Why should it be used in any other sense than as part of a cycle race?

Why indeed?
Old August 30th 09, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:24:20 +0100, "Wm..."
wrote:

So bringing new words into the English language deteriorates it rather
than adding richness?

The English language is combobulated not constructed.

Guy, never say combobulated again, it excited my aunt and I don't think
we want that to happen again.

We must not molish cultural barriers, Wm. Or is your aunt of the
Victorian persuasion? Should we mantle decent coverings round the
piano legs?

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/
"Nullius in Verba" - take no man's word for it.
Old August 30th 09, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Wm... wrote:

JNugent

What, the people who side with you here?
Referring to a "peloton" is akin to referring to "the onion bag" for a
goal net or "silverware" for trophies. Not identical, but along the
same lines. It's another way of saying what the lyrics of this song said:

http://tinyurl.com/nlfcy3
[work safe, no viruses, no exe files]

It may be work safe but I couldn't be bothered to let it play.

Make no mistake, I like the idea of people saying "this is my tune for
today". That just didn't work.

I understand your reluctance, but there was no recording (AFAIK). It was the
lyric which was relevant.

I'll risk the copyright wrath (and publicise that truly wonderful song). It
is a skit on people who use what they think are impressive sounding phrases
and terminology in order to create a particular impression, only to succeed
in creating a different impression. There's a great version by the late
Blossom Dearie and an even better one by the equally late Mel Tormé:

"I'M HIP"

(Bob Dorough/Dave Frishberg)

I'm hip
I'm no square
I'm alert
I'm awake
I'm aware
I am always on the scene
Makin' the rounds
Diggin' the sounds
I read playboy magazine
'Cause I'm hip

I dig
I'm in step
When it was hip to be hep, I was hep
I don't blow but I'm a fan
Look at me swing
Ring a ding ding
I even call my girlfriend man
I'm so hip

Every Saturday night
With my suit buttoned tight
And my suedes on
I'm gettin' my kicks
Watching arty French flicks
With my shades on

I'm too much
I'm a gas
I am anything but middle class
When I hang around the band
Poppin' my thumbs
Diggin' the drums
Squares don't seem to understand
Why I flip
They're not hip
Like I'm hip

I'm hip
I'm alive
I enjoy any joint
Where there's jive
I'm on top of every trend
Look at me go
Bobby Darrin knows my friend
I'm so hip

I'm hip
But not weird
Like, you notice, I don't wear a beard
Beards were in but now they're out
They had they're day
Now they're passé
Just ask me if you're in doubt
Cause I'm hip

Now whatever the fads
And whatever the ads
Say is neatsville
I'll be keeping abreast
Out in front with the rest of elitesville

'Cuz I'm cool as a cuke
I'm a cat,
I'm a card
I'm a kook
I get so much out of life
Really, I do
One more time play Mack the Knife
Let 'er rip
I may flip
but I'm hip
I'm hip
I'm hip

Old August 30th 09, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

wrote:

snip

First citation in OED is from 1939
That will merely be the first time the word can be found in an English
language publication, irrespective of context.

The idea that it is in common use in 2009 (let alone 1939) is risible.
So, not 'unheard of' at all - indeed it's fairly commonly known nowadays

No it's not.

Feel free to find it being used anywhere you can - other than in use
as part of the race.

Why should it be used in any other sense than as part of a cycle race?

I described cyclists on Friday's Critical Mass as a peloton.

Since then I have been variously described as being, pretentious,
pompous and exclusive.

It seems that *everyone* knew exactly what I meant.

But you still gave exactly the impression you just described, didn't you?
Old August 30th 09, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Rob Morley wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:43:06 +0100
Tom Crispin wrote:

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:31:09 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

Apoplexy (?????????) :-)

Hehehehe!

Did that display correctly in Forte Agent? It's not managed to repost
the Greek characters using 7-bit ASCII. :-)

It came out perfectly at my end.
Old August 30th 09, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:28:34 +0100, "Wm..."
wrote:

"Peloton" certainly has not been and is used in English only as a
pompous term for a group of cyclists.

You really are a fool. Have you checked the SOED?

The idea of Phil Liggett as "pompous" is an amusing one. Someone
appears to be unable to tell the difference between useful
internationally understood jargon and pomposity.

Jargon has its place and its uses.

Everyday life is not it.