Peloton

Old August 30th 09, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Peloton

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:04:03 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:50:06 +0100, "Wm..."
wrote:

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:23:33
uk.rec.cycling Tom Crispin

How you would suffer if someone wrote about going out on the veranda
of their bungalow in khaki pyjamas.
I'm african, be careful.

The above is Indian, adopted into the English Language, though Nugent
may argue otherwise.

*Those* words have been absorbed.

"Peloton" certainly has not been and is used in English only as a pompous
term for a group of cyclists.

Others seem to disagree with you.
Old August 30th 09, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Tom Crispin wrote:

JNugent wrote:

The English language is constantly changing and acquiring new words...

...but it has not yet deteriiorated to the point where normal people use the
French word "peloton" to describe a pack of cyclists proceeding along the road.

So bringing new words into the English language deteriorates it rather
than adding richness?

It depends.
Old August 30th 09, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:23:33
uk.rec.cycling Tom
Crispin

How you would suffer if someone wrote about going out on the
veranda of their bungalow in khaki pyjamas.
I'm african, be careful.

The above is Indian, adopted into the English Language, though
Nugent may argue otherwise.

*Those* words have been absorbed.

"Peloton" certainly has not been and is used in English only as a
pompous term for a group of cyclists.

Others seem to disagree with you.

And many agree with him. It is, at best, a jargon term and like all such
terms is best used only amongst those who will readily understand it.

Old August 30th 09, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:57:16 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:24:09 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:

JNugent wrote:
It has been in common English usage, except in Nugent's and
Smith's houshould, since at least that time.
Oh, grow up.
Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear!
A bit sensitive are we?
I certainly am, but I don't think you are. Not to the rights,
needs and safety of others, at any rate.

Not when it comes to your heightened blood pressure over my use of
peloton to describe a group of cyclists.

How you would suffer if someone wrote about going out on the veranda
of their bungalow in khaki pyjamas.

Those words are age-hallowed and widely (indeed, commonly) used in
ordinary everyday English by normal people.

Yours isn't.

Live with it.

It seems to me that you are the one having problems living with the
evolution of English.

Since you're the only person who I've heard/seen use the word it could
hardly be said to have been adopted as a useful term in English.

Old August 30th 09, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Tom Crispin wrote:

JNugent wrote:
Tom Crispin wrote:
"Wm..." wrote:
Tom Crispin

How you would suffer if someone wrote about going out on the veranda
of their bungalow in khaki pyjamas.

I'm african, be careful.

The above is Indian, adopted into the English Language, though Nugent
may argue otherwise.

*Those* words have been absorbed.
"Peloton" certainly has not been and is used in English only as a pompous
term for a group of cyclists.

Others seem to disagree with you.

What, the people who side with you here?

Referring to a "peloton" is akin to referring to "the onion bag" for a goal
net or "silverware" for trophies. Not identical, but along the same lines.
It's another way of saying what the lyrics of this song said:

http://tinyurl.com/nlfcy3

[work safe, no viruses, no exe files]
Old August 30th 09, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:41:54 +0100, "Wm..."
wrote:

snip

My family were settlers in africa in case I am being too obscure.

Ah yes - taking advantage of the natives no doubt - you'll be telling
us how many servants you had next.

Ever see your dad kick a dog?

Ever see your dad kick a black?

Come on now - don't be shy.

--
The BMA (British Medical Association) urges legislation to make the wearing of cycle helmets compulsory for both adults and children.

The evidence from those countries where compulsory cycle helmet use has already been introduced is that such legislation has a beneficial effect on cycle-related deaths and head injuries.
This strongly supports the case for introducing legislation in the UK. Such legislation should result in a reduction in the morbidity and mortality associated with cycling accidents.
Old August 30th 09, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:04:53
uk.rec.cycling Tom Crispin

wrote:

My family were settlers in africa in case I am being too obscure.

Before you said that I wondered if you might be a Kenyan or former
Kenyan (I wouldn't append the word settler to that as I can never tell
what might cause offense). Being Kenyan would make sense with your
earlier comment, but is by no means the only answer.

You are unlikely to upset me, Tom. I reserve the right to tease people.

My palm is definitely pink-ish. I think my family is from Norwich or
Somerset, actually (think Tarr steps). Either that or they got the Tarr
bit wrong and many generations have wasted their time tracing my family
history. We are fairly certain about what happened when we got to
africa in 1820 or so.

--
Wm...
Old August 30th 09, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:04:03
uk.rec.cycling JNugent

wrote:

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:23:33
uk.rec.cycling Tom
Crispin

How you would suffer if someone wrote about going out on the veranda
of their bungalow in khaki pyjamas.
I'm african, be careful.

The above is Indian, adopted into the English Language, though
Nugent
may argue otherwise.

*Those* words have been absorbed.

"Peloton" certainly has not been and is used in English only as a
pompous term for a group of cyclists.

You really are a fool. Have you checked the SOED?

--
Wm...
Old August 30th 09, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:09:11
uk.rec.cycling Tom Crispin

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:13:35 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

The English language is constantly changing and acquiring new words...

...but it has not yet deteriiorated to the point where normal people use the
French word "peloton" to describe a pack of cyclists proceeding along
the road.

So bringing new words into the English language deteriorates it rather
than adding richness?

I'm on the adding side.

--
Wm...
Old August 30th 09, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:08:40
uk.rec.cycling JNugent

Not at all. "Peloton" simply has not been absorbed into English. It is
only used pompously by pseuds trying to affect an air of exclusivity.
That they use it in such a way is a further demonstration of the
evident non-absorption of the word into English (unlike "veranda/h",
"khaki" and "bungalow").

This could be fun. Tell me, an african, that veranda, khaki and
bungalow are not perfectly good english words.

P.S. my dictionary disagrees with you. It isn't pseud.

--
Wm...