Are they trying to discourage bicycle use?

Old August 3rd 13, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Are they trying to discourage bicycle use?

A woman gets a notice that she exceeded the 15 minutes parking limit at a downtown Vancouver, B.C., Canada bike rack.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/bike-rack-t...031903490.html

Excerpt:

"A Vancouver cyclist is outraged after finding a notice on her bike telling her she could not use a downtown bike rack.

Molly Millar says she wasn't expecting a notice when she parked her bike outside the Granville Street office tower before heading into work.

"At the end of the day I noticed I had a ticket on my bike and the ticket said that it was 15-minute parking only and if I did it again they would confiscate my bike," said Millar."

Solunds like a great way to encouage bicycle commuting.

Cheers
Old August 3rd 13, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gus

"Sir Ridesalot" wrote in message
A woman gets a notice that she exceeded the 15 minutes parking limit at
a downtown Vancouver, B.C., Canada bike rack.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/bike-rack-t...031903490.html

Excerpt:

"A Vancouver cyclist is outraged after finding a notice on her bike
telling her she could not use a downtown bike rack.

Molly Millar says she wasn't expecting a notice when she parked her
bike outside the Granville Street office tower before heading into
work.

"At the end of the day I noticed I had a ticket on my bike and the
ticket said that it was 15-minute parking only and if I did it again
they would confiscate my bike," said Millar."

Solunds like a great way to encouage bicycle commuting.

Cheers

If they are afraid it detract from the professional appearance of the
building, can't they put a rack off to the side or something? What
about fire hydrants, those are kind of an eyesore. Probably shouldn't
have any of those around.

I was hoping there was going to be a picture so I could check out the
rack. I've never heard of a bike rack that had time constraints... It
may make sense to have one for just bike couriers-- if it really gets a
lot of bike courier traffic. Without signage how does anyone know?

Old August 3rd 13, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 08:20:36 -0400
"Gus" wrote:

I was hoping there was going to be a picture so I could check out the
rack. I've never heard of a bike rack that had time constraints... It
may make sense to have one for just bike couriers-- if it really gets a
lot of bike courier traffic. Without signage how does anyone know?

Picture he http://road.cc/content/news/89737-of...o-park-all-day

Mike

Old August 3rd 13, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Sir Ridesalot writes:

A woman gets a notice that she exceeded the 15 minutes parking limit at a downtown Vancouver, B.C., Canada bike rack.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/bike-rack-t...031903490.html

Excerpt:

"A Vancouver cyclist is outraged after finding a notice on her bike telling her she could not use a downtown bike rack.

Molly Millar says she wasn't expecting a notice when she parked her bike outside the Granville Street office tower before heading into work.

"At the end of the day I noticed I had a ticket on my bike and the ticket said that it was 15-minute parking only and if I did it again they would confiscate my bike," said Millar."

Solunds like a great way to encouage bicycle commuting.

Cheers

Well, that's not too cool, but IME municipal parking nazis are
quite the organized racketeers anyway.

And for me, 15 minutes in the city is about the limit anyway -
else if anybody actually *can* "confiscate" my bike, they probably
will, and if they can't, somebody might *&^% with it.
Old August 5th 13, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/3/2013 12:30 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
A woman gets a notice that she exceeded the 15 minutes parking limit at a downtown Vancouver, B.C., Canada bike rack.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/bike-rack-t...031903490.html

Excerpt:

"A Vancouver cyclist is outraged after finding a notice on her bike telling her she could not use a downtown bike rack.

Molly Millar says she wasn't expecting a notice when she parked her bike outside the Granville Street office tower before heading into work.

"At the end of the day I noticed I had a ticket on my bike and the ticket said that it was 15-minute parking only and if I did it again they would confiscate my bike," said Millar."

Solunds like a great way to encouage bicycle commuting.

Cheers

I got kicked off quite a few places in high school and told I could not
park my bike there - of course I did not park at the school itself due
to the near 100% chance of malicious vandalism [1].

[1] You would have to have lived in small town Wisconsin to understand.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 6th 13, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 1:30:38 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
A woman gets a notice that she exceeded the 15 minutes parking limit at a downtown Vancouver, B.C., Canada bike rack.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/bike-rack-t...031903490.html

Excerpt:

"A Vancouver cyclist is outraged after finding a notice on her bike telling her she could not use a downtown bike rack.

Molly Millar says she wasn't expecting a notice when she parked her bike outside the Granville Street office tower before heading into work.

"At the end of the day I noticed I had a ticket on my bike and the ticket said that it was 15-minute parking only and if I did it again they would confiscate my bike," said Millar."

Solunds like a great way to encouage bicycle commuting.

Cheers

as most people, politicians, cops and security guards are a particularly lazy lot, we shame them with our love of the activity and enjoy all of it's benefits- "are they trying to discourage bicycle use ?" well, duh ! I get my revenge every time I notice some fellow out with his hot girl, and see that she is watching me - pretty good for the ego.

Helmets discourage cycling! Derek C UK 8 October 14th 10 05:17 PM
How To Discourage Motoring Chapman Mao UK 206 September 17th 10 10:48 PM
Letter to discourage cycling for transport. spindrift UK 3 April 26th 09 08:22 PM
How to discourage unwanted drafting on a ride Tom Sherman[_2_] General 1 March 6th 08 03:04 PM
How to discourage unwanted drafting on a ride Tom Sherman[_2_] Techniques 2 March 6th 08 01:31 PM