A Peloton of Knobs

Old August 27th 13, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default A Peloton of Knobs

On 27/08/2013 09:59, Bod wrote:
On 27/08/2013 09:53, Bod wrote:
On 27/08/2013 09:51, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 09:45:14 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 27/08/2013 09:12, Judith wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 18:55:31 +0100, Bertie Wooster

wrote:

snip?

I am not surprised that the cyclists do not go out for a nice
ride in
Crispin's area.

I wonder why cycling in London is so popular...

Oh dear: are you perhaps confusing those going out for a pleasant
bike ride and
those who have to bike in to work because they are hard up.

Oh - it's a lovely day - come on kids : lets go round the streets of
London.
Don't forget to bring your face mask and oxygen cylinders; watch out
for the
naughty lorries and all those traffic lights.

Oh - it's a lovely day - come on kids : lets go out and cycle around
that nice
B road around the reservoir in the open country. We may even see a
proper
farm: I don't think that there are any in places such as London.

Here's several:
http://www.timeout.com/london/things...arms-in-london

There is much Judith doesn't know about London.

Indeed.

Also some of the best parks in Britain:
http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to...ce/large-parks

Lots of people who don't know London very well are ignorant of these
lovely areas.

Not to mention, Wimbledon common:
http://www.wpcc.org.uk/index.html
Old August 27th 13, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 27/08/2013 10:15, Bod wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Judith knows that anything that has to have the description "city"
tacked on cannot be what it claims to be. If it were otherwise, the
add-on word would be unnecessary.

Indeed.

Also some of the best parks in Britain:
http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to...ce/large-parks

Originally, of course, parks were part of the countryside (and some
still are), but enclosed spaces are not the countryside.

Lots of people who don't know London very well are ignorant of these
lovely areas.

Not to mention, Wimbledon common:
http://www.wpcc.org.uk/index.html

Whenever anyone is interviewed against a Liverpool backdrop, or does a
piece to camera there, the programme-makers invariably choose a spot at
the Pier Head, usually with the centre of attention staring out across
the mile-wide estuary to Birkenhead.

The trouble with that approach is that hardly anyone who lives in
Liverpool sees that area on a daily or weekly basis. Even before the
ferries grew so relatively unimportant as a means of transport, it was
really only those who lived in never-never-land and commuted across to
the city centre who saw the area regularly or frequently. For others it
was a few times a year on the ferry to New Brighton or Seacombe.

And so it is with London's beauty spots, such as they a they are as
irrelevant to most London-dwellers as the Pier Head is to Liverpudlians.
Old August 27th 13, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

Mrcheerful wrote:

On 26/08/2013 23:28, Bertie Wooster wrote:

Snips

Most odd.

About 5285 people per sq. Km choose to live in London.
A mere 225 people per sq. Km choose to live in the rest [of the UK].

If those figures are accurate, I reckon London to be over 20 times as
popular as "all the rest".

dense population is not a good selling point. The vast majority of the
population do not live in London.

around 10 million live in London, 50 million live elsewhere, so the rest
of the country is 5 times more preferable to live in.

It's closer to 20 million/40 million unless you use the postcode as the
boundry of london or not, it's a somewhat fuzzy line. clearly more
people live out of london than not, but equally it's the biggest urban
area by miles.

The growth is as far as i'm aware in the outer boroughs since they have
more space for life. Big royal parks, easy access to rest of country via
motorways/train etc.

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old August 27th 13, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 27/08/2013 10:35, JNugent wrote:
On 27/08/2013 10:15, Bod wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Not if you live in London. We have a few relatives who live and work in
London and they don't even need a car. Most residents are only a short
walk to a tube station and 10 minute or so journey to most parts of the
town and open spaces. Some of the parks and farms are just a short walk
away and believe you me, they make full use of their city.

It appears that you have no experience of actually living in London.
We've stayed with them and take my word, you are wrong.

This may be correct for yer 'average commuter'.

Old August 27th 13, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 27/08/2013 10:15, Bod wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I certainly have lived in London.

You, of course, are speaking from the standpoint of a visitor "seeing
the sights".

Don't believe all the puff about Hyde Park, Regent's Park, Greenwich
Park, Wimbledon Common and even Epping Forest.

Most Londoners see each of them a relatively few times in a lifetime,
and even then maybe not all of them - Kingstonians are unlikely to
frequent Epping Forest much, if at all.

They are most likelt to see such spots when dragged to there by a
relative visiting from elsewhere, keen to see Speaker's Corner or the
statue of Peter Pan.
Old August 27th 13, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

[...]

I can only speak from what *my* relatives do. They are always visiting
the parks/going to shows/concerts/art galleries etc.
Old August 27th 13, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 27/08/2013 11:57, Bod wrote:

It appears that you have no experience of actually living in London.
We've stayed with them and take my word, you are wrong.
This may be correct for yer 'average commuter'.

I certainly have lived in London.
You, of course, are speaking from the standpoint of a visitor "seeing
the sights".
Don't believe all the puff about Hyde Park, Regent's Park, Greenwich
Park, Wimbledon Common and even Epping Forest.
Most Londoners see each of them a relatively few times in a lifetime,
and even then maybe not all of them - Kingstonians are unlikely to
frequent Epping Forest much, if at all.
They are most likelt to see such spots when dragged to there by a
relative visiting from elsewhere, keen to see Speaker's Corner or the
statue of Peter Pan.

I can only speak from what *my* relatives do.

Quite.

They are always visiting
the parks/going to shows/concerts/art galleries etc.

That definitely puts them in a minority, more or less anywhere.
Old August 27th 13, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

JNugent wrote:

On 27/08/2013 10:15, Bod wrote:

wrote:

[...]

London parks are heavly used not just as recreation but as commute
routes, be that walker/cyclist/motorbikers/drivers and so on.

Richmond Park is spectacular version of this, once the evening draw in
you can see this snake of lights making their way home.

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old August 27th 13, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:46:18 +0100, "John Benn"
wrote:

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 16:17:33 +0100, Judith
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 21:15:15 +0100, "John Benn"

wrote:

snip
Please excuse me then, I must have been mistaken. Maybe it was all a
dream
and I was asleep in bed all Sunday afternoon.

It could be that we both have access to the pleasant country and B
roads -
whereas Crispin lives in a large urban conurbation.

I am not surprised that the cyclists do not go out for a nice ride in
Crispin's area.

I wonder why cycling in London is so popular...

I wonder why not living in London is so popular.

Most odd. London is the most popular place in the UK. It is also one
of the most popular cities for tourists worldwide.

No offense to yourself. London is the biggest ******** in England.

Old August 27th 13, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Some of the small parks are excellent also. At the end of my back
garden is a small park, and just a short walk away is Chinbrook
Meadows. Oxleas Woods is nearby, and the Thames Path is not much
further.

Peloton Keitht UK 530 September 6th 09 04:55 PM
Peloton Judith M Smith General 0 August 31st 09 09:12 PM
Shifter Cable End Knobs John Everett Techniques 3 September 13th 06 01:37 PM
on my old 80s bike i have two ajustable knobs..on the derailer what are they? mp3p0 Techniques 1 April 19th 05 05:01 PM
derailer... i have 2 ajustable knobs on a derailer what are they for? mp3p0 General 2 April 19th 05 02:15 PM