A Peloton of Knobs

Old August 27th 13, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default A Peloton of Knobs

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:33:59 +0100, (Roger Merriman)
wrote:

Bertie Wooster wrote:

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:16:53 +0100,
(Roger Merriman)
wrote:

Bod wrote:

snips

Not if you live in London. We have a few relatives who live and work in
London and they don't even need a car. Most residents are only a short
walk to a tube station and 10 minute or so journey to most parts of the
town and open spaces. Some of the parks and farms are just a short walk
away and believe you me, they make full use of their city.

Only if you view london as a much smaller place, the tube doesn't tend
to reach the outer areas and in south it is very noticable and where it
does, it only goes outer - inner see
http://www.jstott.me.uk/googlemaps/tubemap/

That seems to be an unfair representation. It only shows the Tube, DLR
and some of London Overground. It doesn't show the rail lines serving
London.

well since the point I was trying to make is that the Tube doesn't cover
every where, that the map doesn't show the rail connections isn't
particually a problem.

But my point was that the map you showed wasn't just the tube. It was
the tube, the DLR, and a small portion of London Overground. It was a
limited overview of London's metro rail network.

While not geographically accurate, this is a better representation of
the metro rail network:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...rvices-map.pdf

It also demonstrates that south-east London is not as badly served as
the tube map might otherwise suggest.

no but does show that the metro system has fair gaps where to get from A
to B you need to go to C and as london has grown the metro hasn't quite
kept up. the TFL map also (and fairly) stops at the TFL boundrys there
is london behond that, not just dragons!

I agree that the map I provided does not extend far enough, however,
it provides a better overview of London's metro rail network.

The London Overground now provides a complete outer circle line which
vastly improves connections between inner London boroughs.
http://southwestlondondotcom.files.w...circle-svg.png

The tram also offers excellent connections between southern outer
London boroughs.

For the future, there is a massive upgrade of London Bridge station
which will allow 24 eight coach trains per hour to cross from the
south London boroughs to the north London boroughs. CrossRail will
also allow 24 trains per hour to take passengers from east to west
London.
Old August 27th 13, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 27/08/2013 13:09, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:09:05 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 27/08/2013 10:35, JNugent wrote:
On 27/08/2013 10:15, Bod wrote:

On 27/08/2013 09:59, Bod wrote:
On 27/08/2013 09:53, Bod wrote:
On 27/08/2013 09:51, Bertie Wooster wrote:
Bod wrote:
On 27/08/2013 09:12, Judith wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 18:55:31 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

snip?

I am not surprised that the cyclists do not go out for a nice
ride in Crispin's area.

I wonder why cycling in London is so popular...

Oh dear: are you perhaps confusing those going out for a pleasant
bike ride and those who have to bike in to work because they are
hard up.

Oh - it's a lovely day - come on kids : lets go round the streets of
London.
Don't forget to bring your face mask and oxygen cylinders; watch out
for the naughty lorries and all those traffic lights.

Oh - it's a lovely day - come on kids : lets go out and cycle around
that nice B road around the reservoir in the open country. We may
even see a proper farm: I don't think that there are any in places
such as London.

Here's several:
http://www.timeout.com/london/things...arms-in-london

There is much Judith doesn't know about London.

Judith knows that anything that has to have the description "city"
tacked on cannot be what it claims to be. If it were otherwise, the
add-on word would be unnecessary.

Indeed.

Also some of the best parks in Britain:
http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to...ce/large-parks

Originally, of course, parks were part of the countryside (and some
still are), but enclosed spaces are not the countryside.

Lots of people who don't know London very well are ignorant of these
lovely areas.

Not to mention, Wimbledon common:
http://www.wpcc.org.uk/index.html

Whenever anyone is interviewed against a Liverpool backdrop, or does a
piece to camera there, the programme-makers invariably choose a spot at
the Pier Head, usually with the centre of attention staring out across
the mile-wide estuary to Birkenhead.

The trouble with that approach is that hardly anyone who lives in
Liverpool sees that area on a daily or weekly basis. Even before the
ferries grew so relatively unimportant as a means of transport, it was
really only those who lived in never-never-land and commuted across to
the city centre who saw the area regularly or frequently. For others it
was a few times a year on the ferry to New Brighton or Seacombe.

And so it is with London's beauty spots, such as they a they are as
irrelevant to most London-dwellers as the Pier Head is to Liverpudlians.

Not if you live in London. We have a few relatives who live and work in
London and they don't even need a car. Most residents are only a short
walk to a tube station and 10 minute or so journey to most parts of the
town and open spaces. Some of the parks and farms are just a short walk
away and believe you me, they make full use of their city.

Most inner London residents don't even own a car...

....either because they can't afford to buy one or will be able to find
nowhere lawful to garage it.

Don't make a virtue of necessity.
Old August 27th 13, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

[...]

Also:
http://www.edie.net/news/6/London--g...y--in-Europe-/

=====Quote=====
40% of [London's] surface area is made up of publicly accessible green
space.
=====/Quote=====

=====Quote=====
[London's] parks, woodlands and gardens play a key role in making it
perhaps the best place to live, work and visit in the world.
=====/Quote=====

In other words, the most *popular* place in the World.

In which sense (there are at least two separate ones) is this word
"popular" being used?
Old August 27th 13, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

wrote:

[...]

Then how come 620,000 white British people have left this most popular
place?
Nothing to do with white British people only forming 45% of the population
of London is it?
If you ever got out of your own back garden you would have realised that
London is a ********.

Old August 27th 13, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

wrote:

snip?

I am not surprised that the cyclists do not go out for a nice ride in
Crispin's area.

I wonder why cycling in London is so popular...

Oh dear: are you perhaps confusing those going out for a pleasant bike ride and
those who have to bike in to work because they are hard up.

Oh - it's a lovely day - come on kids : lets go round the streets of London.
Don't forget to bring your face mask and oxygen cylinders; watch out for the
naughty lorries and all those traffic lights.

Oh - it's a lovely day - come on kids : lets go out and cycle around that nice
B road around the reservoir in the open country. We may even see a proper
farm: I don't think that there are any in places such as London.

Here's several:
http://www.timeout.com/london/things...arms-in-london

Ah yes - the City Farms - are they "proper farms"?

Do you mean like Hackney Farm:

Nestled on the busy throughway between Broadway Market and Columbia Road,
Hackney City Farm has become a fashionable stop-off for ambling weekend
marketgoers, thanks in a large part to its Italian café deli Frizzante, serving
hungry Hackney folk fresh seasonal Mediterranean cooking and tasty farm
breakfasts.

I love the way that it "nestles" on the busy throughway - and as for the
traditional Italian farmhouse breakfast: it sounds wonderful.

Have you ever been in the country - and seen a "proper" farm?

Old August 27th 13, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bod

wrote:

[...]

Do you mean acres and acres of cornfields etc or cattle/pigs/sheep etc
like the farms in London? How do you define a "proper farm"?
Old August 27th 13, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I love the : "Find urban green spots and cute animals in London" - common
misnomer "farms"

I see where you got the idea that a bit of land "nestling" on the busy
throughway between Broadway Market and Columbia Road - may be known as a "farm"
by the city dwellers.

Old August 27th 13, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 09:59:54 +0100, Bod wrote:

snip

Also some of the best parks in Britain:
http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to...ce/large-parks

Lots of people who don't know London very well are ignorant of these
lovely areas.

Are they "farms"?

I know - lets cycle along the busy London streets amongst all the traffic
fumes: then we can terrorise pedestrians in the London parks.

Wonderful.

You are as daft as Crispin.

Old August 27th 13, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:15:51 +0100, Bod wrote:

snip

Not to mention, Wimbledon common:
http://www.wpcc.org.uk/index.html

Do you need a mountain bike - or are ordinary push-bikes allowed on the paths
and the grass?

Mind the pedestrians, the picnickers and the people playing games on the grass
with their children won't you.

Peloton Keitht UK 530 September 6th 09 04:55 PM
Peloton Judith M Smith General 0 August 31st 09 09:12 PM
Shifter Cable End Knobs John Everett Techniques 3 September 13th 06 01:37 PM
on my old 80s bike i have two ajustable knobs..on the derailer what are they? mp3p0 Techniques 1 April 19th 05 05:01 PM
derailer... i have 2 ajustable knobs on a derailer what are they for? mp3p0 General 2 April 19th 05 02:15 PM