Chain wear and cassette question

Old November 15th 18, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On 2018-11-14, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:02:03 -0800, Joerg wrote:

Joerg in particular might enjoy their B-Rad system (except that it
won't fit his favorite growler).
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...b-rad-products

I can't because my MTB doesn't even have the space for a single water
bottle of decent size. Even the bike dealer where I bought is said
"WHAT?? How could they now have that?". So I mounted one holder on the
handlebar (I have a bike with a cup holder now!) plus modded the rear
section for some heavy duty longhaul schlepping.

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy4.JPG

Naah, under the down tube, maybe even on top of the down tube close to
bottom bracket. And you could fit a real keg on top of the top tubes.

On top of the top tube does seem like the best location for water
on Joerg's Fuji.Â* Looks like a nice spot for a strap-on cage, one
that could hold a large bike bottle.

Until you crash or have to jump in a hurry. That would change the voice
to soprano :-)

I figured that wouldn't work for Joerg.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 15th 18, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 2018-11-14 19:18, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:08:05 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Above there isn't enough space for a
decent size bottle, 28oz and such.

??Â* Twenty-ounce bottles do me fine.Â* Of course, I carry two of them.

I used to carry extra water in my cooler, but I can no longer ride so
far that there are no drinking fountains around.Â* Been a while since I
re-filled both bottles at once, but the steroids are working now, so I
might go that far before the roads get slick.

Many of my rides are about 40mi at a pretty good clip (for my age ...)
and in the hot summers here that either requires carrying around a
gallon or detouring to get to sports fields or churches with a drinking
fountain. I find it more efficient to carry the water. Road bike trips
can be done with much under a gallon but not MTB trips and some of those
have zero re-fill opportunities.

What makes you think MTB trips require more water than road bike trips?

The other reason for carrying excess is other riders and most of all
hikers who mis-planned. Or who didn't plan at all.

That's just ridiculous.
Old November 15th 18, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Above there isn't enough space for a
decent size bottle, 28oz and such.

?? Twenty-ounce bottles do me fine. Of course, I carry two of them.

I used to carry extra water in my cooler, but I can no longer ride so
far that there are no drinking fountains around. Been a while since I
re-filled both bottles at once, but the steroids are working now, so I
might go that far before the roads get slick.

Many of my rides are about 40mi at a pretty good clip (for my age ...)
and in the hot summers here that either requires carrying around a
gallon or detouring to get to sports fields or churches with a
drinking fountain. I find it more efficient to carry the water. Road
bike trips can be done with much under a gallon but not MTB trips and
some of those have zero re-fill opportunities.

What makes you think MTB trips require more water than road bike trips?

Where I live MTB trails are up and down a lot. After 5mi of this I am
totally drenched in sweat and become thirsty. Not so on the road bike
where my water goes a lot farther.

The other reason for carrying excess is other riders and most of all
hikers who mis-planned. Or who didn't plan at all.

That's just ridiculous.

I think so too but there is a surprising number of people who walk off
into the wilderness with one lone 500ml bottle of water. We found a
totally dehydrated young guy off the trail in Yosemite who was mumbling
to please let him die. Or course we didn't but it took a lot of water
and later all our candy bars to get him onto his feet and assist him
down towards the valley until we could get ranger help.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 15th 18, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

I think you're a dope magnet. I've spent (on a cumulative basis) months in Yosemite high country and never encountered someone mumbling to please let him/her die. My wife was a back-country guard for the US Forest Service in the Olympic National Forest, and I'm sure she had a lower dope count than you -- and she spent days at a time wandering through the forest looking for dopes. Plus, I always drank out of rivers in Yosemite once above the valley floor. If I were out of water, I wouldn't worry too much about parasites. There are pills for that.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 15th 18, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2018-11-14 19:01, Gregory Sutter wrote:

On top of the top tube does seem like the best location for water
on Joerg's Fuji. Looks like a nice spot for a strap-on cage, one
that could hold a large bike bottle.

Until you crash or have to jump in a hurry. That would change the voice
to soprano :-)

It certainly seems possible to crash your balls onto the bottle. You
might consider, though, that said bottle is going to be much softer
than the top tube or stem. Maybe more in the way too, but that won't
matter until you're already crashing.

If the geometry is such that it would keep you from gripping the
saddle nose with your thighs, though, that'd certainly rule it
out. Imagine jumping and squeezing a stream of water out of the
bottle!

My bicycle growler retired a long time ago when I started home-brewing
again. Now I sometimes carry a pre-cooled crash-proof stainless steel
thermos in the top trunk with homemade IPA in there, for the lunch break
during a hard ride.

It's disappointing to not be able to imagine you tooling along the
trails with a growler full of beer banging alongside. ... Know what?
**** it. I declare what you said is an alternative fact, and the
reality is that you're out there with a full growler every day, Saint
Bernarding the parched backcountry bikers with your Impertial Stouts
and DIPAs.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old November 15th 18, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-11-15 11:26, Duane wrote:
On 15/11/2018 11:14 AM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

[...]

He had taken the straight route up the "stairs" towards half dome. No
accessible creeks where he was. That by far wasn't the only case. For
example, there was a Chinese tourist stumbling up the Bright Angel Trail
at the Grand Canyon. Her smallish bottles were empty and she behaved
weirdly. Aside from giving her water it looked like we had to get her
help, fast. Luckily there is a ranger at Bright Angel Point which wasn't
very far from there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 15th 18, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-11-15, Joerg wrote:

[...]

My bicycle growler retired a long time ago when I started home-brewing
again. Now I sometimes carry a pre-cooled crash-proof stainless steel
thermos in the top trunk with homemade IPA in there, for the lunch break
during a hard ride.

It's disappointing to not be able to imagine you tooling along the
trails with a growler full of beer banging alongside. ... Know what?
**** it. I declare what you said is an alternative fact, and the
reality is that you're out there with a full growler every day, Saint
Bernarding the parched backcountry bikers with your Impertial Stouts
and DIPAs.

Nope, just a 16oz thermos these days, regular IPA, around 6% ABV, 45
IBU, slightly rounded off with some honey at the end of boil. That one
seems to travel best on rough singletrack and its bitterness is still
palatable to non-IPA drinkers. This is where I enjoyed my first one:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/SouthFork1.JPG

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 16th 18, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-11-15 11:26, Duane wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've heard the crazy Chinese tourist story. As I recall, the rangers would not let people down the Bright Angel trail unless they had the required amount of water. Are they no longer checking?

And are you talking about the cables up the back of Half Dome? If you're talking about the stairs up the Mist Trail, they put you right at Vernal Falls and a few steps from a drinking fountain. And then you go to Nevada Falls, a great drinking spot -- at least historically. Maybe its AFU now, but I used to drink there -- and I almost lost a hard salami over the falls one year while hiking up to Half Dome to spend the night on top. We'd go up there for the harvest moon and howl.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 16th 18, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On 2018-11-15 11:26, Duane wrote:
[...]

I have never been checked for water, neither on the Bright Angel nor the
Kaibab trail. However, my various trips down there were all more than 20
years ago. The only thing a ranger ever checked in the canyon was a
camping permit.

And are you talking about the cables up the back of Half Dome?

We found him after we had climbed back down the cables, a few hundred
yards from the bottom of the cables. Quite far off the trail and I only
saw him by coincidence, he was laying motionless in some bushes. If
nobody would have seen him who know what would have happened.

... If
you're talking about the stairs up the Mist Trail, they put you right
at Vernal Falls and a few steps from a drinking fountain. And then
you go to Nevada Falls, a great drinking spot -- at least
historically. Maybe its AFU now, but I used to drink there -- and I
almost lost a hard salami over the falls one year while hiking up to
Half Dome to spend the night on top. We'd go up there for the
harvest moon and howl.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm

Quote "Weather conditions and personal preference affect the amount of
water you need, but suggested minimum amounts per person a

1 gallon (4 liters) if hiking to the top of Half Dome"

These folks are not kidding. They never do.

When I hiked there two of the three potential drinking water points
always had stern Giardia warnings against drinking the stuff. I carried
little chlorine pills but only for emergencies sind I also always carry
plenty of water.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 17th 18, 07:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 2018-11-14 15:46, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/14/2018 5:42 PM, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:02:03 -0800, Joerg wrote:

Joerg in particular might enjoy their B-Rad system (except that it
won't fit his favorite growler).
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...b-rad-products

I can't because my MTB doesn't even have the space for a single water
bottle of decent size. Even the bike dealer where I bought is said
"WHAT?? How could they now have that?". So I mounted one holder on the
handlebar (I have a bike with a cup holder now!) plus modded the rear
section for some heavy duty longhaul schlepping.

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy4.JPG

Naah, under the down tube, maybe even on top of the down tube close to
bottom bracket. And you could fit a real keg on top of the top tubes.

Under the downtube it gets dirty with horse poop, cow poop, bear poop
and dirty water, plus rock hits. Above there isn't enough space for a
decent size bottle, 28oz and such.

I used to carry two bottles on a carrier that mounted to the seat
rails and held the bottles behind the seat. There are also carriers
that mount on the handle bars and as a last resort I've carried
bottles in the pockets of my cycling jersey.

cheers,

John B.