thinking of buying Speedplays

Old November 24th 04, 04:27 PM
Pat

Default thinking of buying Speedplays

I would like to get some pros and cons before springing for the Speedplay
Zeros with Chromoly spindles. I plan to get and use the Coffee Cups with
them. I am going from some worn out Look 206s to Speedplays and it's a big
jump in price. The bearings in my Looks have worn out and make an obnoxious
clicking sound with every pedal stroke. I am also tired of occasionally
sliding across the tops of the pedals while trying to click in. Has anyone
here some experience with the Zeros?

Pat in TX

Old November 25th 04, 04:52 AM
psycholist

"Hunrobe" wrote in message
"Pat"

wrote:
I would like to get some pros and cons before springing for the Speedplay
Zeros with Chromoly spindles. I plan to get and use the Coffee Cups with
them. I am going from some worn out Look 206s to Speedplays and it's a big
jump in price. The bearings in my Looks have worn out and make an
obnoxious
clicking sound with every pedal stroke. I am also tired of occasionally
sliding across the tops of the pedals while trying to click in. Has
anyone
here some experience with the Zeros?

Pat in TX

I can't speak to the Zeroes specifically but I really like my X-2s and the
Zeroes share much of the X design. The cleats are a bit pricey compared to
Looks but everything is a tradeoff, right? About those cleat covers- they
save
hardwood floors but walking in them is a royal pain. OTOH, you're buying a
pedal system not a walking shoe. g

Regards,
Bob Hunt

P.S.- Maybe someone somewhere has had well-maintained (the grease port
makes
lubrication so simple there's really no excuse for *not* maintaining them)
Speedplay bearings fail but I've never met them.

I actually heard someone mention that the bearings in their Speedplays had
failed. I asked how often he greased them. He said, "greased them?"

I'm maintenance-impaired and greasing the Speedplays is easy even for me. I
have a pair of X-1s that I lube twice a year and I'm gonna guess they've got
over 60,000 miles on them.

Bob C.

Old November 25th 04, 07:41 AM
BobI

Pat,
I've been riding zeros for the past year or so and think they are the
"beez-kneez". I would say I have about 2500 miles on them. The plastic on
the lollipops are showing signs of wear now and they have loosened up
noticeably since when new. I may need new cleats? I think bikers in general
use equipment to the point of failure me included, but I digress. I'm a
maintenance junkie so I keep the cleats and pedal platforms lubed up pretty
good with dry lube triflo, as well as grease the bearings when they start to
spin too freely. The cleats are somewhat large, but I can hobble into
Starbucks without much trouble. The lollipop is an easy target to hit when
starting off. I can always beat my buddy off the line. He uses Looks. I got
the zeros because of the adjustable float. Which makes it easier for me to
clip out and the wide range of float allows me to save my right knee, old
football injury. The cleat stack height is pretty low also. Gee, I'm usually
not this long winded but hey I like em.

BobI

Old November 25th 04, 11:50 PM
BudMan

"Pat" wrote in message
I would like to get some pros and cons before springing for the Speedplay
Zeros with Chromoly spindles. I plan to get and use the Coffee Cups with
them. I am going from some worn out Look 206s to Speedplays and it's a big
jump in price. The bearings in my Looks have worn out and make an
obnoxious
clicking sound with every pedal stroke. I am also tired of occasionally
sliding across the tops of the pedals while trying to click in. Has
anyone
here some experience with the Zeros?

Pat in TX

Unless you want the adjustable release of the Zero's why not try a pair of
X-5's? At a price point of $115 (before LBS discount) they are almost a
cheap as a pair of Look knock off Welgo's. I use X-2's on my race bike and
X-3's (no longer made) on my other road bikes. I switched to Speedplays
after I unclipped from Look pedals during a sprint finish. After my collar
bone healed, I switched to Speedplay. I have not had an accidental unclip
since.
A couple of people I ride with switched from X to Zero's. One of them likes
them a bit better because of the adjustable release. The other says there
was no difference from the X series.
Helpful hint, whichever one you get, buy the grease gun.

Old November 26th 04, 03:31 PM
Frank Knox

"Pat" wrote in message
I would like to get some pros and cons before springing for the Speedplay
Zeros with Chromoly spindles. I plan to get and use the Coffee Cups with
them. I am going from some worn out Look 206s to Speedplays and it's a big
jump in price. The bearings in my Looks have worn out and make an

obnoxious
clicking sound with every pedal stroke. I am also tired of occasionally
sliding across the tops of the pedals while trying to click in. Has

anyone
here some experience with the Zeros?

Pat in TX

I used X-2s for a year and loved them while cycling. It was a PIA to put
the covers while walking though. Also, any sand or dirt would clog the
cleats when I would stop on the side of the road for a rest or flat tire.
I switched to Frogs, gave my X-2s to a buddy, and never looked back. The
Frog pedals are ugly but they work perfectly, are not inconvenient when
walking, and the cleats don't clog with a little roadside dirt.

Old November 26th 04, 11:21 PM
Pat

: I used X-2s for a year and loved them while cycling. It was a PIA to put
: the covers while walking though. Also, any sand or dirt would clog the
: cleats when I would stop on the side of the road for a rest or flat tire.
: I switched to Frogs, gave my X-2s to a buddy, and never looked back. The
: Frog pedals are ugly but they work perfectly, are not inconvenient when
: walking, and the cleats don't clog with a little roadside dirt.

I went to the LBS today and compared the Zeros to the Frogs. I don't know
about those Frogs because the cleat is a lot smaller than I thought it would
be. I used to have SPDs and got "hot foot" a lot whenever I would ride a
long distance. I switched to Looks and haven't had burning toes since then.
Other than wondering if they are too small, I liked the looks of the Frogs.

Pat in TX

Old November 27th 04, 03:10 AM
Frank Knox

"Pat" wrote in message

[...]

I never had a problem with hot foot on long rides or tours. I think actual
contact area may be the large ring on the pedal, so is much larger than the
cleat. Easy in-out, lots of float, and simple maintenance are the
advantages. If it matters, I use Sidi Dominator 4 shoes. I'll buy another
pair of those when they wear out.

Old November 28th 04, 05:00 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I went to the LBS today and compared the Zeros to the Frogs. I don't know
about those Frogs because the cleat is a lot smaller than I thought it
would
be. I used to have SPDs and got "hot foot" a lot whenever I would ride a
long distance. I switched to Looks and haven't had burning toes since
then.
Other than wondering if they are too small, I liked the looks of the
Frogs.

I don't think cleat size per se has much to do with "hot foot." If the sole
of the shoe is infinitely stiff (and high-end shoes approach this), then the
size of the cleat is irrelevant as far not placing pressure on a particular
part of your foot.

The primary advantage of a larger cleat is that it gives a more secure
feeling, since it won't wobble as much (the cleat isn't generating as much
leverage with larger contact area). And SPD-style cleat has a very small
contact patch, so it tends to feel pretty loose. For some people this is an
issue, while others don't seem to be bothered by it.

The Speedplay pedals may be the best of both worlds, as they've found a way
to keep the system small (which reduces weight) while still having a solid
feel to the interface. This is because the cleat wraps around the pedal, so
it really can't get sloppy.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

buying new bike DLCRCF General 4 July 11th 04 02:06 AM
Buying a Pressure Washer Me UK 9 April 12th 04 05:53 PM
What are they (cars) thinking when we... Mike Jacoubowsky General 21 April 9th 04 04:28 PM
Thinking of spending that $2500 on a Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 Pat General 1 August 27th 03 04:29 PM