"HELP US PUT a stop to pavement parking"

Old March 5th 10, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Doug[_3_]

Default "HELP US PUT a stop to pavement parking"

From the latest 'Street Lifre' Spring 2010 by Living Streets.

"There are 28 million cars on our streets, and 90% of the
time they will be parked.
As car ownership has increased, so to has the pressure for
car parking spaces, resulting in an increasing number of
vehicles being parked illegally on our pavements. Although
it might not seem like a major problem to many, for
parents with buggies, people using wheelchairs or older
people who need support to walk, pavements blocked by
parked cars can mean there is no way through without
being forced to risk walking in the road. And it is not just
access which causes problems - our pavements aren’t built
to withstand the weight of vehicles – by driving onto them
footpaths get damaged, creating trip hazards that cause
even more problems.

We want:
• the UK Government to make pavement parking illegal
throughout the UK;
• the Scottish Government to expand dropped kerb
regulations into Scotland;
• all local authorities to take on the enforcement of
parking offences;
• the UK Government to lead a wider national “pavement
education” campaign on all aspects of using our
pavements – including anti-social parking and cycling;
• where police are responsible for enforcement, to take
the issue more seriously and enforce all instances of
pavement parking."

“Where I live motorists not
only park, but also drive
for some distance along a
pavement by the shops. It’s
only four feet wide at most,
and pedestrians are forced
into the road. Sometimes
it is frightening, and makes
walking locally a trial rather
than a pleasure.”

http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old March 5th 10, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
delboy

On 5 Mar, 13:24, Doug wrote:
From the latest 'Street Lifre' Spring 2010 by Living Streets.

[...]

I can feel that strange pain in my backside coming on again!

Parking your car alongside the kerb just reduces the amount of
remaining width on the road for all users, including cyclists.
Obviously if you park partly on the pavement you should leave enough
room for mothers pushing baby buggies etc.

Derek C
Old March 5th 10, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Doug[_3_]

On 5 Mar, 13:33, delboy wrote:
On 5 Mar, 13:24, Doug wrote:

From the latest 'Street Lifre' Spring 2010 by Living Streets.

[...]

Better still, only buy a car if you have somewhere to put it when it
is not in use, instead of cluttering public spaces. Why this was ever
allowed by government in the first place at the onset of the mass car
culture is a complete mystery.

--
Carfree UK
http://carfree.org.uk/
Old March 5th 10, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Brimstone

"Doug" wrote in message
Why this was ever allowed by government in the first place at the onset
of the mass car
culture is a complete mystery.

When was the onset of the mass car culture Doug?

Old March 5th 10, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
ChelseaTractorMan

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 05:24:18 -0800 (PST), Doug
wrote:

“Where I live motorists not
only park, but also drive
for some distance along a
pavement by the shops. It’s
only four feet wide at most,
and pedestrians are forced
into the road. Sometimes
it is frightening, and makes
walking locally a trial rather
than a pleasure.”

thats a case of bad pavement parking, in some areas theres nowhere
else to park and the residents want to park half on the pavement,
(they are also the pedestrians) and the council sensibly paints
parking boxes, give and take is whats needed, not fanatical anti or
pro car national broadbrush attitudes.
--
Mike. .. .
Gone beyond the ultimate driving machine.
Old March 5th 10, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
ChelseaTractorMan

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 13:41:41 -0000, "Brimstone"
wrote:

When was the onset of the mass car culture Doug?

when most people got cars and wanted to park them, normal people, not
fanatics.
Old March 5th 10, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
NM

On 5 Mar, 13:38, Doug wrote:

Better still, only buy a car if you have somewhere to put it when it
is not in use, instead of cluttering public spaces.

I'd go along with that however I live in the country and except for
the high summer season I can always find somewhere to leave it. Those
like yourself, who are unfortunate, for whatever reasons, to live in a
big city may feel somewhat different.

In view of the amount that motorists contribute I feel steps should be
taken to provide adequate parking simply because if you constrain car
ownership and use you breed discontent and cut off a valuable revenue
stream, cars generate bundles of cash, you need it to fund your
lifestyle.

Old March 5th 10, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
On 5 Mar, 13:33, delboy wrote:
On 5 Mar, 13:24, Doug wrote:

From the latest 'Street Lifre' Spring 2010 by Living Streets.
[...]

"Miss Marple investigates The Case of the Mass Car Culture" by Agatha
Christe.

--
Tony Dragon
Old March 5th 10, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Halmyre[_2_]

On 5 Mar, 13:24, Doug wrote:

“Where I live motorists not
only park, but also drive
for some distance along a
pavement by the shops. It’s
only four feet wide at most,
and cyclists are forced
into the road. Sometimes
it is frightening, and makes
cycling on the pavements a trial rather
than a pleasure.”

Corrected your post for you.

--
Halmyre
Old March 5th 10, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Doug[_3_]

On 5 Mar, 14:49, NM wrote:
On 5 Mar, 13:38, Doug wrote:

Better still, only buy a car if you have somewhere to put it when it
is not in use, instead of cluttering public spaces.

I'd go along with that however I live in the country and except for
the high summer season I can always find somewhere to leave it. Those
like yourself, who are unfortunate, for whatever reasons, to live in a
big city may feel somewhat different.

Despite living in a city I have a front garden with a space which I
used to use for parking

In view of the amount that motorists contribute I feel steps should be
taken to provide adequate parking simply because if you constrain car
ownership and use you breed discontent and cut off a valuable revenue
stream, cars generate bundles of cash, you need it to fund your
lifestyle.

What motorists contribute is offset by all the harm they cause and I
don't need them to fund me. If there was a price I could put on the
inconvenience and danger they cause me it would be considerable.