BBB-41 Powerlock Bicycle Lock

Old December 14th 17, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default BBB-41 Powerlock Bicycle Lock

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 22:22:20 -0500, Radey Shouman
wrote:

John B. writes:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:46:40 -0500, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 12:52:10 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 21:46:15 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/12/2017 8:48 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 01:23:04 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

Alcohol will work much better than
boiling water.

That's right

Any lock will have troubles moving between
room temperature and severe cold just from
normal condensation. Lube it.

Today I tried Sonax, which according to the
sticker is exactly what one should use in this
situation. It said it was inflammable -
probably alcohol in some variety.

Didn't work. Boiled water on the other hand
worked two times.

But it sucks having to do, obviously. And the
situation will just reoccur that way.

No, one should have a big key, a big keyhole,
and a lid on the lock itself.

Try rinsing with alcohol or some other solvent to remove all the oil
and then use it dry in the cold months.

One assumes that at (did you say) -6 degrees (C) there is little
chance of rain :-)

I usually use dry graphite powder to lubricate locks. But I doubt that
makes them impervious to moisture from condensation. I've never had a
bike lock freeze up, but in freezing weather, I've almost never had to
lock the bike outside.

I remember way back when they used to sell graphite power in a little
squeeze bottle with a long especially to lubricate auto door locks
with.

Like a lot of other things from my youth, "you don't that any more"
:-)

Hmm. Maybe store the lock in a plastic bag with some desiccant powder?
It would be a use for the little bags of desiccant that come in certain
pill bottles.

Or perhaps heat the lock to drive off moisture? Hub dyno users could rig
up a little resistance heater, maybe using their stash of old halogen
bulbs. Mega-lumen battery light users could cook the lock by holding it
in their headlight beams for a while. Be careful not to hold it too
long, or you might anneal the metal.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Istill have a tube of powdered graphite that my dad, a Class-A
auto-mechanic usedto use.

Talk about premature nostalgia. I bought a squeeze bottle of powdered
graphite about a month ago.

Did you? what sort of shop?

I think it was Home Depot -- a national chain of "home improvement"
stores. Hardware stores carry them too.

We have "Home Pro" over here which is probably similar.
The next time I'm down there I'll have a look as my front gate lock
would benefit from some sort of all weather lube.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 17th 17, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

This morning the lock was frozen again!

Right now it is -4.7. But atypically, I hadn't
used the bike for some ~24h so it is possible
the temperature at some point went above 0
since I last used it.

The situation was the same as the first time,
i.e., it was impossible to get the key even 1
mm into the keyhole. This happened despite the
two different alcohol treatments mentioned in
this thread.

The problem isn't the temperature in isolation
but the miniature key and key hole, without
a lid. This maybe works in the Netherlands
(home of BBB) and China (place of
manufacturing) but not here.

What is needed is a lid, a big key and
a big hole.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old December 17th 17, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/17/2017 7:00 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
This morning the lock was frozen again!

Right now it is -4.7. But atypically, I hadn't
used the bike for some ~24h so it is possible
the temperature at some point went above 0
since I last used it.

The situation was the same as the first time,
i.e., it was impossible to get the key even 1
mm into the keyhole. This happened despite the
two different alcohol treatments mentioned in
this thread.

The problem isn't the temperature in isolation
but the miniature key and key hole, without
a lid. This maybe works in the Netherlands
(home of BBB) and China (place of
manufacturing) but not here.

What is needed is a lid, a big key and
a big hole.

Could you use something like Sugru https://sugru.com/ to mold a cover
for your keyhole?

I'd spread a very thin layer of grease or wax over a portion of the lock
so your molded cover can be removed or peeled back a bit for key access.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 17th 17, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Could you use something like Sugru
https://sugru.com/ to mold a cover for
your keyhole?

Water always gets inside somehow, and here what
is required to fill the hole and block the key
is so so little. No, I think I'll use this as
my "summer" lock

Interestingly, this is my first quality wire
ever! But I do not doubt the quality in other
parts of the world or in the non-winter season.