Disc Brakes Are Amazing!!!

Old May 12th 06, 02:38 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Disc Brakes Are Amazing!!!

Various posters:
(In a nutshell; bents are slower than uprights on the flats)

I'm amazed! I've always thought that recumbents were faster everywhere
except up hill. Why are all absolute top speed records held by bents?
I've thought it was due to reduced wind resistance due to not having
both leg & shoulder cross section in the wind. Plus being more fairing
friendly (what's that called? FF?). I've worn a HRM mostly to keep my
heart rate below a certain level, to guard against blowing up. All my
life I've laughed @ Harleys owners arrogance, because they are ridding
slow assed, turn of the century tractors that can be out run in any
manor of speed contest, by most rice burners & euro bikes over 500cc.
I've considered getting a bent for the supposed speed advantage. If
they are not faster, then why in gods name bother!!!??? And obviously,
they are a lot of bother (40#; 8' long; 16' long chains; mixed wheel
sizes; non-standard parts [even more non-standard than conventional
bikes]; etc.)

Where did I get the idea they are fast? This doesn't make any sense to
me, John

Old May 12th 06, 02:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...

NYC XYZ wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

I always read 'bent threads because I can always count on the last
statement.....uprights by definition, are not 'uncomfortable' and the
older you get(I'm 55), it is not automatically important that you get a
'bent....My upright is comfy, I see no need to get a bent because of my
upright's comfort or my age...

My Trek 1000c is the most comfortable upright I've ever had! In two
months I had 700 miles on it already. But nothing is as comfortable as
my SMGTe! It's like the difference between night and day.

700 miles for me is about 3 weeks on my upright. Once more, 'bents
answer no question, solve no problem with regard to a well fitting
upright ridden by a cyclist with no physical problems that dictate only
a 'bent ride.

It is largely a matter of age. If you are indeed an athlete, you may never
need a recumbent bicycle. But look around you. How many of us are athletes.
Almost everyone by the time they are in their 50's will benefit from a
recumbent.

Recumbents are mostly about comfort, but they are also more fun to ride than
uprights once you get rid of your sport mentality.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

The Trek is now relegated to errand-running in the neighborhood, etc.
For long rides where I don't have to leave my bike out of site, I am
definitely riding 'bent!

Old May 12th 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

"john" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You get a recumbent primarily for the comfort, not the speed. However, you
can be fast enough on a recumbent if you work at it a bit. But they are slow
going uphill for a number of reasons. If you are into nothing but speed,
then stick with an upright road bike. They can't be beat for speed. Only
fully faired recumbents will be faster on the flats.

Old May 12th 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

john wrote:

I'm amazed! I've always thought that recumbents were faster everywhere
except up hill. Why are all absolute top speed records held by bents?

"Recumbents" covers a very wide range of bikes, and so as far as their
speed goes it makes no more sense to assume a BikeE is as fast as an M5
Crabon Lowracer than it does to assume a Schwinn Cruiser is as fast as a
Trek Madone.

I've thought it was due to reduced wind resistance due to not having
both leg & shoulder cross section in the wind. Plus being more fairing
friendly (what's that called? FF?).

Yes, but... the particular bike the OP is about is not especially
aerodynamic and his (and mine) doesn't have a fairing. It's built as a
recumbent for reasons of comfort and load carrying as an expedition
tourer, jobs at which I think it's exceptionally good, but fast it ain't.

I've considered getting a bent for the supposed speed advantage. If
they are not faster, then why in gods name bother!!!???

The "if" depends on the model. If you want to go fast get one built for
speed. The OP's bike is emphatically not.

they are a lot of bother (40#; 8' long; 16' long chains; mixed wheel
sizes; non-standard parts [even more non-standard than conventional
bikes]; etc.)

Length will also depend on models, FWD models don't have long chains,
plenty exist with matched wheel sizes, most of the parts /are/ standard
on many examples (mine has standard wheels, brakes, gearing, cranks,
pedals, headset, bottom bracket and takes standard panniers). By
careful choice from a huge range of models available you can fine tune
what you want and get a great deal, but just going out and buying "a
recumbent, generic" will probably leave you sorely disappointed.

Where did I get the idea they are fast?

Maybe the 30% better hour record and 81 mph flying 200m speed record...
On "real roads" a recumbent holds the UK "End to End" John O'Groats to
Land's End record, and so on. But those aren't any old recumbents,
they're built for speed.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 12th 06, 03:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Peter Clinch wrote:

The SMGT is a very rider-centred machine. Touring luggage can have the
heavy stuff under the rider between the wheels so it has very little
effect on handling. Only by stacking up weight purely on the back will
the steering get light.

Ah, well, that was me, then, though my kit weighed no more than eight
pounds, tops.

SNIP

Pete.

Old May 12th 06, 03:27 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

That reminds me...I've always wondered whether athletes tend to wear
themselves out more...I'm definitely athletic compared to the average
American (and *look* like an Olympian -- but had a fat sailor beat me
in a sprint once, fair and square), but maybe it really is old age and
wear and tear that's got me preferring the comfort of my 'bent over the
speed and agility of my upright.

Old May 12th 06, 03:36 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

NYC XYZ wrote:

Ah, well, that was me, then, though my kit weighed no more than eight
pounds, tops.

That's a non issue IME. By "stacking up weight" I mean like a week's
grocery shopping, with cans. 8 lbs on the back shouldn't dent the
handling at all.

Pete.
Old May 12th 06, 03:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Peter Clinch wrote:

That's a non issue IME. By "stacking up weight" I mean like a week's
grocery shopping, with cans. 8 lbs on the back shouldn't dent the
handling at all.

I didn't think it should be a factor, either. Maybe I was too tense in
the shoulders, as you say. I was certainly thrilled by the speeds I
was reaching...until it stopped at 29 mph!!

I love the SMGTe. I hope HP Velo sees fit for a carbon or titanium
version in the future! Surprised they haven't already done so.

Also, I hope in their next (re)iteration they redesign things to allow
for a better fit for standard bike accessories somehow...my CatEye
1000, my AirZound, my Arkel panniers...all do not fit as "cleanly"
out-of-the-box and require a bit of jerry-rigging....

Pete.

Old May 12th 06, 03:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Get an M5 from the Netherlands. They are so much faster than uprights
(even without the Aero cap) that it isn't funny anymore.

A few years back during the pro tour Team Time-Trial the builder of the
M50 (Bram Moens) went over the same stretch in his record machine and
got SOLO a time wich was only beat by a few of the best teams. Bram is
a well trained rider, who is over 50 years old.....

Any upright is simply no match against a bent build for speed.

Old May 12th 06, 03:59 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

NYC XYZ wrote:

I love the SMGTe. I hope HP Velo sees fit for a carbon or titanium
version in the future! Surprised they haven't already done so.

ISTM they're quite conservative. For example, the first version of the
Speedmachine had a Chromo steel rear triangle, just to be on the safe side.

But if there's be a Ti or carbon version of anything I wouldn't have
thought the Streetmachine was the obvious place to start.

Pete.

Disc vs Rim brakes Jules Australia 15 June 5th 05 01:27 PM
Disc Brakes LazenbyADT UK 9 February 7th 05 11:31 AM
Disc brakes squeal due to loose pads? Michael Press Techniques 64 June 24th 04 02:45 PM
Mechanical disc brakes and hub Piotrek S. Mountain Biking 17 September 22nd 03 11:23 AM
which disc brakes to buy Ermo Mountain Biking 6 September 3rd 03 10:46 PM