Sprocket design and analysis

Old October 2nd 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bicycle_disciple

Default Sprocket design and analysis

For a recent CAD class at college, we had to design the drive train of
a 5 speed bike as part of a project assignment - just the crank and the
casette and solve for casette sprocket diameters for five desired
speeds : 20-40 mph in increments of 5mph. Given to us were crank
diameter, pedaling speed and pitch of the chain. I went and added my
own dura ace derailler in there too. Basically, I thought it would be a
nice visual guide for beginners if you are clueless about gear ratios,
although I'd say there's better ways to learn it (you can just look at
the whole issue intuitively).Anyway, I ended up getting the highest
grade in my class for it.
So, do have a look at my sprocket project on my blog at :
http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2006...-analysis.html.

Any comments? If you'd like a copy of the autocad file, you can request
one from me free.

Tailwinds,
-B.D

Old October 2nd 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

bicycle_disciple wrote:
[...]

yes, i have a comment - check into chain application for sprockets less
than 13 teeth.

Old October 2nd 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Elliott

On 10/1/2006 10:21 PM bicycle_disciple wrote:

So, do have a look at my sprocket project on my blog at :
http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2006...-analysis.html.

Any comments? If you'd like a copy of the autocad file, you can request
one from me free.

Anyone care to estimate how many people on this planet make a living
designing high quality bicycle drivetrain components?

How about reckoning the odds that these folk will run into someone in a
bar who also does it for a living so they can talk shop?

-- mike elliott