SF Willie Brown to Receive NBG, Berkeley Mayor to ride with NBG

Old August 7th 03, 02:52 PM
Just a Cyclist

Default SF Willie Brown to Receive NBG, Berkeley Mayor to ride with NBG

I'm very sorry that you think Willie Brown is a
plus........................I would attend a think that he was honored
at......
He has done nothing to help the state..........
Him and Davis are two of a kind.
"Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway" wrote in message

We just got word that not only is Car Free San Francisco Supervisor
Chris Daly going to welcome Jim Muellner and send Jim Wetherell and Max
Chen and probably others to Palo Alto, San Jose and then to Santa Cruz
for our bike festival, but we just got word that legendary Mayor
Willie Brown will also be on hand to greet us next Monday, August 11,
noon at City Hall. As the former Speaker of the California State
Assembly and the longest-serving (15 years) Speaker in California
history, Willie is well known throughout the state and even the nation!
Wow what a breakthrough. Wherever Willie goes people pay attention and
whenever he speaks, people (read the media) turn their hearing up! This
is H U G E folks. More as it evolves!!

And on the other side of the Bay before Jim Muellner even gets to San
Francisco, Car Free Berkeley city councilman, Kriss Worthington, is
busy stirring the pot. A true two wheel activist in every sense of the
word, Kriss has built his easy going and easily loveable self into the
Berkeley political machine. So much so that he was able to convince
Mayor Bates, who he says he works closely with, to ride at least part
of the way to Oakland and Kriss is well connected both within his city
and without. For example, he and Car Free Chris above are set to meet
and work together tomorrow on non bike related matters.

I can see now why everyone wants to work with Chris. As he and I
brainstormed the idea of a Friday ride from Berkeley to Oakland, he
let the whole process flow without placing any parameters around it. He
broached the idea of having unusual bikes there so when I suggested
the Hi-Wheel bikes by nearby builder, Rideable Replicas
http://www.hiwheel.com , he was quick to embrace the idea. Here is a
pretty strong draft of a news release that Kriss and I created:

For Immediate Release

Corporate Executive, Jim Muellner, who left the successful leading
edge company he founded so that he could build tricycles welcomed to
Berkeley by Mayor Tom Bates- -- after having ridden the three wheel
bike his new company makes from Washington DC. Jim will be received by
a pair of Hi Wheelers and local and national bicyclists. This exciting
local segment held at Berkeley City Hall, where Jim, a former
industry captain, will be named an honorary Berkeleyan, will be
followed by a 6-mile bike ride to Oakland City Hall .

Friday August 8 at 1 p.m.
Steps of City Hall; 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley

Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates will welcome the National Bicycle Greenway
(NBG) ride that came all the way across the country to the steps of
Berkeley City Hall at 2180 Milvia Street. Then the National Riders and
locals will ride from Berkeley to Oakland City Hall. One rider is Jim
Muellner who invented the Smart Carte luggage transport system found
at airports.

Just to meet Jim makes the whole experience worthwhile. NBG
Coast-to-Coast cycling veteran, Max Chen, and Car Free (since 1983)
Council member Kriss Worthington will also ride to Oakland. Mayor Tom
will join them for part of the ride. While two Hi Wheel bikes will set
the pace..

For more info please call 510-981-7170
Or visit:
http://NationalBicycleGreenway.com/E...e/schedule.php

BTW: Any Santa Cruzans interested in getting a car pool together for
any of this excitement?

--
MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com
79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle Greenway CEO

Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it?
Really die? By moving thru clinical death and reversing
paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.