Road riding tips/advice

Old December 27th 03, 04:00 AM
onewheeldave

Default Road riding tips/advice

Over the Christmas period I've taken advantage of the quieter roads and
been out on the 29-er.

It seems much better suited to being on the road rather than the
pavement and I'd like to continue with it.

The uni i'm using is a 29-er with 125mm cranks and a reeder handle, as
much of the riding is in the evening I've got front/back lights and
reflective waistcoat.

I was wondering if those of you who have done a lot of road riding had
any useful tips/experiences that they could post?

I'm interested in opinions about the safety of unicycling on roads- my
feelings are that a high degree of riding competence is required, but
even with experience and skill is it more or less safe than cycling?

I'm aware of the theoretical factors such as pros- being more visible
than cyclists, higher position for better point of view; and cons-
chance of UPDs etc; I'm interested in the practicalities experienced by
those who've spent many hours in the traffic.

Also, any tips about problematic situations such as turning right at a
junction (in England we drive on the left) where, on a cycle the thing
to do is wait in the center of the road till it's clear. It seems to me
that idling in the middle of the road would be a bit dodgy?

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Old December 27th 03, 10:14 AM
Mikefule

Unicycling on the road... borderline legal, borderline safe. I've done
some long road rides, but I'm very careful where I ride.

My general theory of unicycling is that if you acto like a cyclist, you
will be accepted as a cyclist; if you act like a pedestrian, you will be
treated like a pedestrian; if you ride like a clown...

So, to ride on the road you need to be dressed like a cyclist and
wearing a helmet and possibly a daygo/reflective top. Send out 'I have
a right to be here" messages!

Keep the speed up, but well within your comfort zone. A UPD on the road
is a serious problem. Be seen by the wrong person (e.g. a Policeman)
and you may provoke an incident.

Imagine being knocked off your unicycle and appearing in court to make
your claim for compensation. First question: "Why were you riding that
dangerous toy on the road?"

Turning right: if there's any traffic at all, dismount tidily and walk
across the junction. If you're confident you can make the turn, then
give clear signals.

Idling: generally, don't. Better to time the junction by approaching
very slowly. Dismount if you have to stop. idling is 'circus' and will
confuse and alarm other road users. Idling is a fine opportunity to UPD
- then how silly do you look?

Choose your roads carefully. Country lane = good. Busy ring road =
bad.

Use the pavement/footpath/ cycle path when approrpiate.

Build your confidence and experience step by step.

Remember that in this country, 9 people die every day on the roads, and
nearly 100 are seriously injured. That's a September 11th every year,
but we don't hear about it on the news. I read accident report forms
for a living. Most motorists do not understand that they are
responsible for the consequences of their actions when driving.

Good luck.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

A young girl was blown out to sea on a set of inflatable teeth then
rescued by a man on an inflatable lobster. A coastguard spokesman
commented, "This sort of thing is all too common". (The Times)

Old December 27th 03, 12:15 PM
Rowan

Mikefule wrote:
*Turning right: if there's any traffic at all, dismount tidily and
walk across the junction. If you're confident you can make the turn,
then give clear signals.

Idling: generally, don't. Better to time the junction by approaching
very slowly. Dismount if you have to stop. idling is 'circus' and
will confuse and alarm other road users. Idling is a fine opportunity
to UPD - then how silly do you look?*

Don't dismount for anyone unless you have to. You are normally best off
riding through gaps in traffic rather than walking because it is much
faster. I think idling in the middle of the road is OK if you can do it,
same with hopping on the spot. Ignore the traffic rules, go through red
lights. It's OK because Unicycles fall into a loophole in the law. Just
make sure you don't get hit by cars because that wouldn't be fun. I
wouldn't worry about how much traffic is out because no matter how
jammed the cars get, a Unicycle will always fit through the gaps in
between them. Dress how you please, and helmets are optional. I think
the chances of landing on your head are fairly slim compared to on a
bicycle.

--
Rowan - Another Unicyclist
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old December 27th 03, 12:27 PM
pete66

There goes wreckless Rowan. Take his advice, go on, I dare you.

--
pete66 - Level 3 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

Old December 27th 03, 12:38 PM
TheObieOne3226

When i steal Nicks coker to go out for some distance riding, I generally
find myself looking further ahead and planning what I'll need to do at
the next corner long before I actually get there. By doing this I can
often speed up or slow down to time the light. If I can't make the light
i usually just play it safe and grab ahold of something to wait it out.
If nothing is available, I'll hop off and hope for better luck at the
next corner. You really don't want to put yourself in any kind of
danger. Also, try to make it look like youre not endangering anyone.

When I need to turn across traffic (left here in the states) I usually
just go onto the sidewalk and wait for the light, then cross with the
pedestrians.

Just make sure you don't get hit by cars because that wouldn't be fun.

It is not fun I'm sure.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Extreme Halfb*ker

Grabbin your butt? That's not very lady-like!

My chocolates! Come back chocolates! I didn't mean what I said.

Old December 27th 03, 04:21 PM
Mikefule

Rowan wrote:
* Ignore the traffic rules, go through red lights. It's OK because
Unicycles fall into a loophole in the law. Just make sure you don't
get hit by cars because that wouldn't be fun.

I think the chances of landing on your head are fairly slim compared
to on a bicycle. *

Never mind anyone else's rights, after all, it's a free country. Just
do what feels right at the time. Hey, none of those drivers will ever
have seen a unicycle on the road before, so they're not likely to be
startled, lose concentration and crash into someone else. And if they
do, you won't be hurt, so that's all right. Of course, it could lead to
bad publicity for the sport, but so what?

And the helmet thing is partly a costume issue. Look like a responsible
road user, be treated like one.

Also, your risk assessment is faulty, because it's not landing on your
head that's the problem, it's the glancing blow to your head as you
roll, or as a truck's mirror clips your head - and it may be very
unlikely, but the consequences can be life changing.

I've been investigating road accidents since 1981. When you've read a
few Coroner's reports, you take road safety seriously.

Old December 27th 03, 04:58 PM
cyberbellum

Rowan wrote:
*
Just make sure you don't get hit by cars because that wouldn't be fun.

*

Unless they are made of Nerf. Then it might be fun, as long as the
pavement, trees and rocks are Nerf too.

--
cyberbellum - Level 0.5 rider

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

Old December 27th 03, 08:34 PM
giocologgi

Rowan, are you ironic?
I hope!

--
giocologgi - TALK LESS RIDE MORE

My onza hate me... He want my blood!
giocologgi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/579

Old December 28th 03, 12:37 AM
onewheeldave

Concerning the legal issue, it's apparent from posts on this forum over
the past couple of years that it varies from place to place; in some
places unicycles are classed as being in the same class as cycles,
whereas in others they're not.

In England I suspect that the police would intervene if they saw a
unicyclist on the road at night without lights, and rightly so. I've got
lights on mine not just for the legal aspects but because it makes good
sense; I also have a reflective waistcoat for the same reason.

I agree fully with what Mike Fule says about following the road rules
and behaving responsibly; if unicyclists start getting run over or
causing accidents then it will have an adverse effect on unicycling.

I went out on the 29-er again this afternoon, the roads had more traffic
today and I felt a little vulnerable and didn't really enjoy the ride.

I'm aware of the fact that roads are pretty dangerous even if you're
100% focused and safety orientated due to the fact that some car drivers
aren't; I feel this even when on a normal bike.

My feeling is that the 29-er is less stable than a bike, but that's
maybe offset by the fact that car drivers are unlikely to not see a
unicyclist (I noticed today that there was a lot of slowing down and
reluctance to pass me; whilst I know that I'm competent on a uni, I
guess that car drivers are going to be somewhat dubious).

Tonight I've decided to address my reluctance to experiment with
crank/wheel setups by switching the 125's onto my muni, and the 150's
onto my 29-er, so tomorrow I'll see what difference it makes.

Old December 28th 03, 01:28 AM
Mikefule

I may have been a little harsh on Rowan there. Sorry.

But let's look at this pleasant fiction about unicycles being a grey
area in the law.

Unicycles may in some areas fall between the gaps in regulations.
Regulations are part of the law, but are not the whole of the law.

UnicyclISTS are people and are subject to the law whether they are
unicycling or not. Unicyclists have statutory and common law
obligations to behave in a way which does not obstruct the flow of
traffic, cause a danger to other road users, cause a breach of the
peace, and so on.

I am sometimes too strident about road safety, but this arises from far
too much experience of the consequences of bad attitudes on the road.

In England, at least, most members of the public, and most coppers, have
respect for the principles of the law, even if the interpret the
regulations rather flexibly. That's why I say, act like you ought to be
there, be treated like you ought to be there. Act like a nuisance, be
treated like a nuisance.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Riding on abandoned rail road tracks Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 10 June 22nd 04 04:44 PM
Road or Sidewalk? K-Man General 74 June 19th 04 12:26 AM
FS: Reynolds 531 Road Bicycle. 58 cm classic Raleigh. Built-up ascommuter bike. Good riding condition. Mavic, StrongLight, Campagnolocomponents, good tires, extras. I'm keeping the pedals. Carefully boxed toship or you can pick up in the Atlanta Mark Shefrin Marketplace 1 September 17th 03 04:42 PM
Cycle Event Director criminally liable for Competitor's death Snoopy Racing 78 September 10th 03 02:55 AM
PA riders: Easton to Philly? Hal Rides 0 July 18th 03 03:53 PM