Where is cycling popular?

Old October 23rd 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
BeeRich

Default Where is cycling popular?

Hi folks. I'm doing research for a project and need to research where
cycling is popular. I'm needing to know where cycling is currently
popular, so that has to be where it is warm. So, Southern hemisphere,
in large cities.

Any ideas where I can find these statistics?

Cheers

Old October 23rd 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Peter

"BeeRich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks. I'm doing research for a project and need to research where
cycling is popular. I'm needing to know where cycling is currently
popular, so that has to be where it is warm. So, Southern hemisphere,
in large cities.

Any ideas where I can find these statistics?

Cheers

Belgium.
It's warm, sunny and full of chocolate.
The girls are obliging and the men have moustaches.

Old October 24th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
sally

"BeeRich" wrote in news:1161583914.900534.144760
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
Hi folks. I'm doing research for a project and need to research where
cycling is popular. I'm needing to know where cycling is currently
popular, so that has to be where it is warm.

Southern and Southeast Asia.

Old October 24th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Jack Murphy

I don't have stats but in many underdeveloped parts of the world cycling is
common as a basic mode of transportation.
are you talking about leisure riding or transportation?
jm

oups.com...

Old November 1st 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
BeeRich

Jack Murphy wrote:
I don't have stats but in many underdeveloped parts of the world cycling is
common as a basic mode of transportation.
are you talking about leisure riding or transportation?
jm

Hi folks. Thanks for the replies.

To be honest, anywhere, any reason. I have a cycling project that I
need to market to cyclist groups, and want to get my head around where
to start. I thought by focussing on certain cities in countries where
cycling is indeed prevalent (either for leisure or transportation), I
would have a quick adoption rate. So this brings me to 'who is
cycling?'. I am in Toronto and we are currently slightly dipping below
the freezing point, so cycling definitely follows a certain seasonality
here. I am conidering focussing on Southern hemisphere markets first.

So given that, I open up Google Earth and peruse...

- I know little about cycling tendencies in South America
- I've lived in Africa twice, but that location is not a potential
market
- Australasia: the only two places I could make some assumptions on
are Australia and New Zealand. I would think they have relatively
similar profiles of cycling communities as Canada. However their
winters don't get like here.

Any thoughts?

Cheers