Mountain Bikers: "me-first spoiled brats"

Old December 6th 07, 03:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Mountain Bikers: "me-first spoiled brats"

"[Mountain bikers] personifies what John Muir referred to as Lord Man:
'there isn't much use in protecting open space unless you let people
use it.' That's what is wrong with this whole selfish, myopic bunch
of me-first spoiled brats." (a friend)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old December 6th 07, 05:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

Me-first-spoiled-brat?

Isn't that a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, coming from you?

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
"[Mountain bikers] personifies what John Muir referred to as Lord Man:
'there isn't much use in protecting open space unless you let people
use it.' That's what is wrong with this whole selfish, myopic bunch
of me-first spoiled brats." (a friend)

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old December 6th 07, 06:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.soc, rec.backcountry,ca.environment, sci.environment
Olebiker

On Dec 6, 10:55 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
"[Mountain bikers] personifies what John Muir referred to as Lord Man:
'there isn't much use in protecting open space unless you let people
use it.' That's what is wrong with this whole selfish, myopic bunch
of me-first spoiled brats." (a friend)

Mike,

Have you read Daniel G. Payne's "Voices in the Wilderness: American
Nature Writing and Environmental Politics"? In it he discusses how
nature writers like "John Muir and Rachel Carson were able effectively
and simultaneously to combine all three of the key rhetorical tasks -
to alert, to inform, and to persuade the reader - each of the writers
considered here made an invaluable contribution to the case for
environmental reform."

I highly recommend the book since I believe you overlook the
importance of PERSUADING the reader to see things your way.
Old December 8th 07, 12:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:51:35 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
wrote:

Me-first-spoiled-brat?

Isn't that a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, coming from you?

No, all I care about is protecting wildlife and people. That is
UN-selfish. Not that you would understand. After all, it uses words of
more than one syl-la-ble.

.. .

Old December 8th 07, 12:38 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:43:22 -0800 (PST), Olebiker
wrote:

[...]

Good point. I'm adding it to my reading list. You must be very
persuasive. Too bad you don't use that skill on something worth
while....

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old December 8th 07, 10:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

wrote:

Me-first-spoiled-brat?

Isn't that a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, coming from you?

No, all I care about is protecting wildlife and people. That is
UN-selfish. Not that you would understand. After all, it uses words of
more than one syl-la-ble.

You only care about you. That's the definition of selfish.