"Girl plunges down gorge into River Braan"

Old December 9th 09, 04:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default "Girl plunges down gorge into River Braan"

"The spokesman said the accident happened when pupils from the school
were taking part in a "fully-supervised outdoor activity" on a route
often used for such activities."

If this can happen during a "fully-supervised outdoor activity",
imagine what would happen if it were unsupervised!

Mike

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...al/8404210.stm

Girl plunges down gorge into River Braan

The girl plunged down a gorge into the River Tay

A teenage girl has fallen 90ft (27m) down a gorge in Perthshire
following a mountain biking accident.

The girl, a pupil at Menzieshill High School in Dundee, was part of an
organised group who were mountain biking at Rumbling Bridge, Dunkeld.

Police said it appeared the girl had lost control of her bike before
hitting the bridge and falling into the gorge.

Emergency services found her conscious and breathing. She was
airlifted to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee.

The accident happened shortly before 1300 GMT, Tayside Police said.

The girl was with an organised group from the Dundee City Council-run
Ancrum Outdoor Centre.

Her parents have been informed and the the Heath and Safety Executive
been made aware of the incident.

'Full co-operation'

A Dundee City Council spokesman said: "Everyone at Menzieshill High
School and the education department wishes this pupil a full and
speedy recovery from her fall.

"Her family were alerted as soon as possible after the accident and we
will be keeping in close touch with them during her recovery."

The spokesman said the accident happened when pupils from the school
were taking part in a "fully-supervised outdoor activity" on a route
often used for such activities.

He added: "We will co-operate fully with any external investigation
and will also be carrying out our own assessment of the situation."
Old December 11th 09, 06:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
South Yuba

Mike - have you considered seeing a therapist. From what I can tell, you
are one ****ing sick ******* with a whole lot of excess time on your hands.
Get a life asshole!

Old December 12th 09, 03:54 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Dec 10, 10:25*pm, "South Yuba" wrote:
Mike - have you considered seeing a therapist. *From what I can tell, you
are one ****ing sick ******* with a whole lot of excess time on your hands.
Get a life asshole!

The sickest people are the mountrain bikers, like you, who want to
sweep these accidents under the rug. Because you would guarantee that
they continue happening, instead of doing something to STOP them. DUH!
If you think I'M sick, what about the newspapers that are reporting
it? Are they sick, too? Idiot.

http://www.perthshireadvertiser.co.u...3103-25365246/

Teenager seriously injured in Perthshire gorge fall
Dec 11 2009 by Johnathon Menzies, Perthshire Advertiser Friday

A TEENAGER was expected to undergo surgery yesterday after suffering
serious injuries when she plunged 90ft into a Perthshire gorge in a
mountain bike accident.

The 15-year-old girl, a pupil at Menzieshill School, Dundee, was
plucked to safety from the River Tay by brave passers-by.

She was said to be in a serious but stable condition in the Intensive
Care Unit at Dundee’s Ninewells Hospital.

She sustained a broken arm and serious internal injuries, including a
ruptured spleen, crushed kidneys and a torn pancreas.

It is believed she lost control of her bike and hit the Rumbling
Bridge, near Dunkeld, before falling into the fast-flowing water.

The rescuers moved her to a nearby ledge and stayed with her until
emergency services arrived, shortly before 1pm on Wednesday.

In the tricky rescue operation that followed, she was winched to
safety by crew from HMS Gannet and taken to hospital.

Tayside Fire and Rescue station manager, Kevin Lennon, said the girl
seemed to have been catapulted over her handlebars.

Mr Lennon said: “Looking over the bridge, you wonder how anyone could
survive. This girl is very, very lucky to be alive.”

Two ambulances, Tayside Police, Tayside Fire and Rescue and a
paramedic from Dunkeld rushed to the scene.

He stayed with the girl, who remained conscious throughout the ordeal,
until a search and rescue helicopter from HMS Gannet, sbased at
Prestwick, arrived and winched them to safety.
Old December 14th 09, 03:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Paul O

Mike Vandeman wrote, On 12/11/2009 10:54 PM:
On Dec 10, 10:25 pm, "South Yuba" wrote:

Mike - have you considered seeing a therapist. From what I can tell, you
are one ****ing sick ******* with a whole lot of excess time on your hands.
Get a life asshole!

The sickest people are the mountrain bikers, like you, who want to
sweep these accidents under the rug. Because you would guarantee that
they continue happening, instead of doing something to STOP them. DUH!
If you think I'M sick, what about the newspapers that are reporting
it? Are they sick, too? Idiot.

snip rescue story with a happy ending

Do you have any ideal how dangerous hiking is? Thousands of hikers are
injured, go missing, and are even killed every year! Why are hikers
trying to sweep these incidents under the rug?

http://news.google.com/news/search?u...dr=m&as_drrb=q
http://news.google.com/news/search?um=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=hiker+injured&cf =all&as_qdr=m&as_drrb=q
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker...e8f388e5caca67
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker+killed+by+coyotes&aq=0&aqi=g2g-m3&oq=hiker+killed+by&fp=52e8f388e5caca67
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker... f388e5caca67
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker+killed+by+bear&aq=&aqi=&oq=&fp=52e8 f388e5caca67
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker...e8f388e5caca67
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker+missing&aq=0&aqi=g4g-m5&oq=hiker+mis&fp=52e8f388e5caca67
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker...f388e5c aca67
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker+lost&aq=f&aqi=g2&oq=&fp=52e8f388e5c aca67
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker...e8f388e5caca67
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker+found+dead&aq=0&aqi=g2g-m4&oq=hiker+found&fp=52e8f388e5caca67

Speak out and let everyone know how dangerous hiking is! Don't be a
passive accessory to the cover-up.

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old December 15th 09, 05:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

http://news.google.com/news/search?u...l=en&q=hiker+i...
http://news.google.com/news/search?um=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=hiker+i...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker...aq=0&aqi=g2g-m...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker+killed+by+coyotes&aq=0&aqi=g2g-m...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker...&aqi=&oq=&fp=5...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker+killed+by+bear&aq=&aqi=&oq=&fp=5...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker...4g-m5&oq=hiker...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker+missing&aq=0&aqi=g4g-m5&oq=hiker...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker...q=&fp=52e8f388...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker+lost&aq=f&aqi=g2&oq=&fp=52e8f388...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker...i=g2g-m4&oq=hi...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=hiker+found+dead&aq=0&aqi=g2g-m4&oq=hi...

Speak out and let everyone know how dangerous hiking is! Don't be a
passive accessory to the cover-up.

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

"Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely
rare because the animals are usually shy."

Thanks for proving my point! Mountain biking is FAR more dangerous
than hiking.
Old December 15th 09, 10:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

The Subject Line should read,

MIKE VANDEMAN GIGGLES LIKE A LITTLE GIRL BECAUSE A PERSON RIDING A BIKE GOT
HURT

Get a life, Vandeman.

Old January 7th 10, 04:41 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
pmh

On Jan 6, 11:50*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Me and My Huffy" wrote in messagenews:65c0c2df48bfe9080d5535ca01cde79c@msgid .frell.theremailer.net...

In article db2276ae-2ecd-458d-80ed-

Mike Vandeman wrote:

On Dec 10, 10:25 pm, "South Yuba" wrote:
Mike - have you considered seeing a therapist. From what I can tell, y
ou
are one ****ing sick ******* with a whole lot of excess time on your
hand
s.
Get a life asshole!

The sickest people are the mountrain bikers,

Unlike sick liberal homosexual pussies like you who fear living
life? If you spent as much time living as you spent fearing, you
might have a much different attitude.

The few homos that I have encountered in my life have been fearless. Women
are the second most fearless sex. It is indeed us hetero males who are fear
ridden. Jeez, do I have to explain everything to you!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

If it's at all humanly possible to be a bigger idiot than Vandeman,
you're the one! Not even he could reach your heights of egoism &
stupidity! It's Minnesota's perpetual sorrow that they've got you.
Old January 7th 10, 04:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

Mike Vandeman wrote:

[...]

It is always good to hear from the peanut gallery. How else could I ever
plumb the depths if it weren't for an occasional contact with a moron like
you. But I must admit you are right about one thing - Minnesota does not
deserve me. I am way too Great for the kind of slobs who call Minnesota
home. On the other hand, you would fit right in.