Typical Criminal Mountain Bikers Riding at Night

Old October 10th 10, 05:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,sci.environment,ca.environment,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Typical Criminal Mountain Bikers Riding at Night

http://www.oregonlive.com/outdoors/i...ook_wrong.html

Night-riding story took wrong turn into day-use-only land
Published: Friday, October 08, 2010, 7:35 PM Updated: Friday,
October 08, 2010, 7:45 PM
Peter Frick-Wright, Special to The Oregonian
Follow Share this story
Story tools
Barreling through the dark forest, we missed a turn. A big one.

To write an article on night mountain biking (Outdoors, Sept. 26), I
recruited a friend, borrowed some high-powered lights and found the
Scappoose trails, near Rocky Butte Road.

0
Share 0 Comments A labyrinth of schizophrenic intersections coursing
through land owned by Longview Timber LLC, this was the place by all
accounts to ride at night. I'd read about it online and watched grainy
night-vision helmet-cam footage of riders having a blast. It was even
recommended long ago by some off-road unicyclists.

We rode for an hour in the light, waiting for the sun to go down, then
weaved our way back to the car by the light of our headlamps through
dense, dark tree canopy.

It turns out that we shouldn't have done that. While Longview Timber
allows mountain biking, it doesn't allow riders to change or build
trails, and was very clear with the Northwest Trail Alliance that the
area is day-use only.

"As a company, we have never allowed nighttime activities on any of
our properties in Oregon and Washington," said Steve Kellis,
investigator in the company's security division. "We are very pro-
recreation, but ... there are many hazards out there. If you don't
know the trail and turn left instead of right, you might go off a
cliff."

Directions
Pioneer Bridle: From Portland, head east on U.S. 26 toward Government
Camp. A mile west of Government Camp, the Glacier View Sno-Park is on
the north side of the highway. Turn in, drive to the gate and signs
will direct you to the trail.
Rogers Camp: From Portland head west on U.S. 26 to Oregon 6. A mile
after Gales Creek Campground -- 16 miles from the U.S. 26 turnoff --
Rogers Camp is on the left on Scoggins Creek Road. Turn in, then turn
left to the parking lot.
Sandy Ridge Trails: From Sandy, go east on U.S. 26 for 11.4 miles.
Turn left on the second turnoff for Sleepy Hollow Drive, across from
the Windells Camp. Take the second right onto East Barlow Trail Road.
After one mile look for a locked gate on your left and park. This is
Homestead Road. Trails intersect with Homestead Road about three miles
up the paved road. Cars do not need a Northwest Forest Pass to park.I
didn't get the memo, read the blog posts or see the sign prohibiting
night use. Unwittingly, I encouraged mountain bikers to ride trails
that might also get them fined or cited for trespassing.

Local riders, to their credit, immediately held my feet to the fire.
Tom Archer, president of the Northwest Trails Alliance, was first:
"With as much bad press as mountain biking has gotten lately," he
wrote, "encouraging illegal activity doesn't help our cause."

Others followed quickly. "Just curious if you knew you were putting
the Scappoose trails at risk by publishing an article suggesting that
you ride those trails at night?" one wrote. "They are specifically off
limits at night."

Another offered some suggestions of other places to ride. "Those of us
who use these trails would not want the landowner to prohibit all
biking access because people start riding after dark there," he wrote.
"Come out to the Tillamook forest instead."

That rider recommended the Historic Hiking Loop, an 8.6-mile cross-
country route from Rogers Camp connecting the Nels Rogers Trail,
Wilson River Wagon Road Trail and the Gravelle Brothers Trail. He said
the Gravelle Brothers section -- named after Elroy and Edmund
Gravelle, who developed much of the Tillamook State Forest trail
system -- is especially technical.

Also open at night are the Sandy Ridge trails, a brand-new system off
Homestead Road near Sandy. Three miles of climbing on a paved road
puts riders at the top of the Three Thirty Eight Loop, still under
construction but open, forming a two-mile trail with optional jumps
and delivering you back near the top of Hide and Seek, an expertly
built intermediate single-track back to the bottom. These trails were
purpose-built for mountain bikes and are challenging, even during
daylight hours. Night riding here is best for folks with serious
lights and no questions about their ability.

Farther up the mountain and usually open until November, the Pioneer
Bridle Trail dives down to Rhododendron from Government Camp on
rolling single track through smooth dirt forest trails. Occasionally
technical, the trail eventually crosses U.S. 26 and riders should be
careful crossing the road, but there are no restrictions for bikes,
said Hadas Gavai at the Zigzag Ranger Station. "You can ride at night,
if you dare."

-- Peter Frick-Wright
Old October 10th 10, 06:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,sci.environment,ca.environment,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry
Edward Dolan

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
[...]

There is not one mountain biker in a thousand who knows what wilderness is
for. That is because they are criminal idiot assholes permanently stuck in
juvenilia!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old October 10th 10, 07:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,sci.environment,ca.environment,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default Typical Criminal Handsaw Users Cutting at Night

On 10/10/2010 11:14 AM, Mike Vandeman wrote:
[snip]

Handsaw users have been observed cutting at night to build tree forts.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old October 10th 10, 07:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,sci.environment,ca.environment,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry
Bruce Jensen

http://www.oregonlive.com/outdoors/i...ght-riding_sto...

[...]

Neither do you, Ed. You think it's for sanitized Dolan Fantasyland -
but then, what can we expect from a 'tard? :-D

Old October 10th 10, 08:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,sci.environment,ca.environment,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry
Edward Dolan

"Bruce Jensen" wrote in message
[...]

**** you too Asshole!

****ing Regards,

Old October 11th 10, 07:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,sci.environment,ca.environment,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry
Bruce Jensen

On Oct 10, 12:57*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Bruce Jensen" wrote in message

On Oct 10, 10:23 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

There is not one mountain biker in a thousand who knows what wilderness is
for. That is because they are criminal idiot assholes permanently stuck in
juvenilia!
Neither do you, Ed. *You think it's for sanitized Dolan Fantasyland -

but then, what can we expect from a 'tard? :-D

**** you too Asshole!

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Ed, your hypocrisy is so THICK you need Mike and his saw to come and
cut it for you!

BTW - you are THE 'tard of the world! :-D

Old October 20th 10, 12:31 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,sci.environment,ca.environment,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry
Aaron Hendrick

On Oct 10, 9:14*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://www.oregonlive.com/outdoors/i...ght-riding_sto...

Night-riding story took wrong turn into day-use-only land
Published: Friday, October 08, 2010, 7:35 PM * * Updated: Friday,
October 08, 2010, 7:45 PM
Peter Frick-Wright, Special to The Oregonian
Follow Share this story

Thanks for posting this article about mountain bikers policing their
own and getting a correction in print. Plus you were nice enough to
include the sections about where the activity is legal. Your title
needs a little work as it doesn't fit the story, but no one's perfect,
right?