Who is at fault and how should it be dealt?

Old November 26th 07, 03:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

Default Who is at fault and how should it be dealt?

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message

BTH could be saying "I'm not going to pay for that $600 Columbus frame,
they should be riding a K-Mart bike like I am", but I can't picture him
in the Hell Ride peleton. :-)

+
this is where a pharmacist I know worked for a while

mk5000

"Basically we're setting up the entire network
around the concept of
communities, As you travel down the
road of life you go into
and out of different [medical] communities, whether
directly or indirectly.People should be able to become part of one, two or
all different pieces of our network."--marc krigsman

Old November 26th 07, 11:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
John Tserkezis

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:

The customary rules of conduct for group rides includes/allows close
riding, and all the riders taking part practice "tailgating."

And as I've said before, a custom does not make a law. (and that I am not a
lawyer, and legal advice obtained from the Internet, well, says it all...)
You get the idea.

I wonder what a real judge in a real court would actually do if
someone actually pushed it that far. According to strict State
vehicle code prevalent in the US, the rear-ender is almost always at
fault. But does that help?

I can only speak for New South Wales because they're the only road laws I'm
vaguely familiar with. If you're on the road with a bicycle, you assume the
same rules as a motor vehicle.
A poofy waiver saying you don't, doesn't change the law. In the unlikely
event you backend someone one a bike, resulting in the carbon splintering and
impaling the other guy through the heart (unlikely but bear with me here), you
WILL be held liable. Lesser grades of injuries or property damage don't
change the law.

There is no such thing as a document that you can sign that makes you
invincible to laws that apply under the prevailing conditions.

This also holds true for _private_ land, but because there aren't any "road"
laws that apply on private land, THEN it might be a different story depending
on the conditions. However, there are STILL property damage rights, and death
and/or injury rights that apply even if incident occurred on private property.

On a public road that isn't closed for an event, the rules of the road
apply -- he's responsible for controlling his vehicle and avoiding
stopped traffic.

That is a very stiff legal positivist attitude. Strictly true, but
"right?"
Learned Hand: "Do justice, sir, do justice."
Oliver Wendell Holmes: "That is not my job. It is my job to apply the
law."

There is no place for justice in a court of law. I suppose there was once
supposed to be, but doesn't appear that way now.

I don't think it is vague at all. It is very well understood pack
riding behavior. Participants would seem to be consenting. (Well
some dumbasses are flakes, but they should be getting chewed out.
Normal/basic social pressure most often provides the needed
correction.)

Collective idiocy doesn't negate current law.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org

Old November 27th 07, 02:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Artoi

In article ,
Donald Munro wrote:

Artoi wrote:
Getting a tougher frame may reduce the damage, but may still get damaged
or even totaled. The question really has nothing to do with what the
equipment is, it's about how the situation should be managed. --

Dumbass,
Just get a Bianchi and the warranty will cover all the
appaling damage.

Bianchi's warranty is only 3 years IIRC.
Old November 27th 07, 02:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Artoi

In article
,
SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:

That sort of assumes that the statute law -- the vehicle code -- is
well applied in a fairness sense to this sort activity. That is
dubious -- I suspect the law was mainly written for much higher mass
vehicles with much higher velocity.

A vehicle is a vehicle. Never heard weight being a criteria.

The customary rules of conduct for group rides includes/allows close
riding, and all the riders taking part practice "tailgating."
Essentially the riders know the score (that something like that could
happen) and are consenting by participating. If customary law were
allowed to develop for this particular activity (meaning not get short-
circuited by statute), the law may be quite different. If you want to
apply some sort of strict rule according to legal positivism, then you
can easily say things like "damage he caused." Alone, it is not
persuasive in a common sense sort of way.

Not sure about that. With specific reference to the hypothetical (or not
so hypothetical) scenario. The bunch was coming to an intersection with
signals being given, permission for close quarter drafting/tailgating
would have ceased by this point. Drafting practice may be permitted
during uninterrupted sections, but it's just common sense to back off
when there's traffic condition ahead, especially one that can be seen by
all in the bunch from a distance.

I don't think it is vague at all. It is very well understood pack
riding behavior. Participants would seem to be consenting. (Well
some dumbasses are flakes, but they should be getting chewed out.
Normal/basic social pressure most often provides the needed
correction.)

Yes, well understood pack riding behaviour to also look way ahead of the
rider in front and follow to the calls and hand signals of the lead
rider. In the hypothetical case, it was second wheel who crashed into
the leader of the bunch. So the dumbass here being?
Old November 27th 07, 02:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Artoi

In article ,
"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Artoi wrote:

But going back. I note that there are some riders object to people
riding high end bikes and make statements like "No way am I going to
pay for that CF bike".

Reverse snobbery?

BTH could be saying "I'm not going to pay for that $600 Columbus frame, they
should be riding a K-Mart bike like I am", but I can't picture him in the
Hell Ride peleton. :-)

Yes, I would take it as a form of reverse snobbery too.
Old December 4th 07, 12:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
BT Humble wrote:

On Nov 27, 1:50 pm, Artoi wrote:
In article ,
"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Artoi wrote:

But going back. I note that there are some riders object to people
riding high end bikes and make statements like "No way am I going to
pay for that CF bike".

Reverse snobbery?

BTHcould be saying "I'm not going to pay for that $600 Columbus frame, they
should be riding a K-Mart bike like I am", but I can't picture him in the
Hell Ride peleton. :-)

Yes, I would take it as a form of reverse snobbery too.
--

Hmm, and all this last week I was thinking that the burning feeling in
my ears was just because of the sunburn! ;-)

Much as I hate to have to admit that I'm not perfect in every way,
there *is* a substantial element of reverse snobbery in what I'm
doing. If you're trying to win big-name races where the difference
between first and second place is measured in fractions of a second
over a 100km race I suppose I can see how lighter weight, etc. might
make a difference. However for your average club rider *it appears to
me* that the performance-return-on-investment falls off a cliff once
you go over $2k or so.

I bid $1000.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
Old December 4th 07, 03:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Artoi

In article
],
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article
,
BT Humble wrote:

On Nov 27, 1:50 pm, Artoi wrote:
In article ,
"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Artoi wrote:

[...]

Others in my club would bid $500.
Old December 7th 07, 02:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
ZBicyclist

performance-return-on-investment falls off a cliff
once you go over $2k or so.

I bid $1000.

Others in my club would bid $500.

Depends on the club. We had a guy riding with us one winter riding on a
cheap mountain bike with knobbies, while we were on road bikes.

He did PBP a few months later (unless that was the year he did BMB).
(PBP is Paris-Brest-Paris in 90 hours. BMB is similar, but
Boston-Montreal-Boston).

For him, the cheaper the mountain bike, and the knobbier the knobbies, the
more performance enhancement he got.

Who is at fault and how should it be dealt? Artoi Racing 97 December 7th 07 02:50 AM
NiteRider light lack of durability, and how I dealt with it Ben Pfaff General 22 November 6th 05 03:02 AM
NiteRider light lack of durability, and how I dealt with it Ben Pfaff Techniques 28 November 6th 05 03:02 AM
It's your fault Maggie General 22 November 16th 04 05:41 PM
Anyone dealt with a broken fibula? Dora Smith General 20 July 30th 04 01:00 AM