ANOTHER Serious Injury Caused by Mountain Biking!

Old November 20th 09, 04:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default ANOTHER Serious Injury Caused by Mountain Biking!

So much for the alleged "health benefits" of mountain biking....

Mike

http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/...vember-19-2009

Hincapie leads charity ride
Article published:
November 19, 13:07
By:
Hedwig Kröner

$15,000 raised to cover medical expenses for injured cyclist

On Sunday, November 15, Columbia-HTC pro George Hincapie led a charity
ride in Greenville, SC, to raise funds for local cyclist Thea Kent,
who was critically injured in a mountain biking accident. Kent, who
does not have a health insurance, suffered a fractured vertebra, seven
broken ribs in her back (broken at the spinal column), six broken
transverse process bones, a punctured lung and minor head injuries.

"The Ride for Thea Kent" was subsequently organised by the local
cycling community and became a full success after Greenville resident
Hincapie signed up to lead the 55-mile event, one of two distance
options on offer. Approximately 450 local cyclists participated and
raised a total sum of $15,000 to help Kent cover the medical expenses
resulting from her accident.

After the ride, which followed popular local routes of Paris Mountain,
Tigerville, the Callahan Mountain Road and Camp Old Indian,
participants gathered for a silent auction of cycling equipment that
included a Team Columbia jersey signed by Hincapie. This raised
another $585 for Kent.

"My gratitude goes out to the hundreds of people who helped to lighten
my burden," said Kent. "I cannot possibly thank every one
individually, but I want every one to know I appreciate every gesture
- no matter how big or small. I am eternally grateful."

Local sports photographers The Living Pixel have listed event
photography on their online storefront for sale through December 15.
All profits from the sale of pictures from this event will also be
donated back to Kent.

Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events
taking place in the cycling world - twitter.com/cyclingnewsfeed.