Hello from Japan

Old July 25th 04, 03:03 AM
nathan

Default Hello from Japan

We made it to Unicon12 on Friday in Japan and the convention is in full
swing. The welcome party the first night was amazing - stepping in out
of the humid evening air to a room filled with hundreds of friends, old
and new, from all over the world. Yesterday was the opening ceremony,
followed by the Group competition. With 37 groups competing, it took all
day, but it was in a beautiful and cool gym with a HUGE crowd on hand.
The final group was the famous Toyoda Team from Japan and they were
stunning - absolutely fantasic. The foreign teams (very few) got a great
crowd reaction even though their level in general was far below the
Japanese teams who seemingly train endlessly for this event. A great
day. Today is Pairs Freestyle, tomorrow individual. I'm in a hostel
sending this, with sweat drip drip dripping down my back as I type...

More later,
Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old July 25th 04, 07:04 PM
Barb

Thanks Nathan for posting. I feel like we are a world away right now.
Barb K.
Old July 30th 04, 07:51 AM
nathan

Things are still going well other than an accident at the Trials
Competition that sent Lars to the hospital. 16 stiches later he was in
good spirits. Too much going on to really post now, but it is a great
convention and I wish you were all here. Results will be forthcoming.

---Nathan

Old July 30th 04, 08:46 AM
GizmoDuck

The marathon was yesterday- man it was hot. I sped to the front and led
for about 1km then went backwards from there. I was about 3rd in the
mens race until I missed the turn to the finish and a Japanese rider
comes passes me. Congrats to Yuta who won the race with 65mm cranks,
and Roger- these guys were animals out there- they kicked everyones ass.
It was so hot and humid I felt like passing out.

The Muni X country was good too. I led the first and second lap. Then
on the final singletrack a Japanese rider comes flying past me followed
by Roger on his Coker.
The Downhill was fun. I think I came third on the Coker.

Thats all for now, this internet thing aint cheap in Tokyo.

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO

"Give man dead fish, and he feed himself for lunch, teach man to catch
fish, and he feed himself for life. Teach man to wheel ride, and he
make friends everywhere, anywhere, and even have lunch at their
place."
Old Chinese saying

'Cambodia Unicycle Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuv31)