Ticketed while biking.

Old October 14th 05, 05:42 AM

Default Ticketed while biking.

I was wondering if the views regarding when to stop for a police
cruiser were similar. Today I was ticketed for disregarding an
officer because I continued to a parking lot where I felt I had a safer
spot to chat. Not far, but on the other side of the road. I signalled
and explained-to no avail. Any thoughts?

Old October 16th 05, 01:24 AM

I shall head to court, thank you. The purpose for the stop was to
check if I had been urinating by the roadside. On a break from the
seat I decided to tug at the band of my bike shorts-that lycra really
crawls up there. The officer saw me with my back to the road. I don't
urinate in public-especially when not drinking. haha
I was given no other citations. Small town police.

Old October 23rd 05, 02:49 PM

Back from jail now as the charge has been changed to a felony! That
newer charge having been served to me on Friday after business hours,
8days after the incident. A bit confused about how the system can
handle people like this....Escallation is a word that comes to mind.
Not so sure the dismissal will work at this point. It seems less a
bike problem than one of harrassment. (though I'm not known by the
police)
I am out of jail on a personal recognizance bond of $5,000. This has
become ridiculous and I can only say that having attempted to file a
complaint and then follow through might have been the turning point.
Hopefully I find a friendly,concerned lawyer. Maybe one who rides..

Old October 24th 05, 03:14 PM

90th District court, Emmet County, Michigan.

Appearances lead one to believe the charge wasn't changed until the
complaint was turned down and I called to ask which are the criteria
for a complaint to rise to stick. 8 hours after that phone call (and
this entire time I've not used foul language or threatened anyone) I
was taken to jail. I'm out now, but something is wrong and I only
know so many people. If it seems odd to you, imagine this end.
Thanks for writing.

Old October 25th 05, 03:27 PM

Dennis, no I've not been harassed prior. I do feel this constitutes
it though. This is a small town and with three law enforcing groups
we have a few to cruise looking for trouble-even if it has to be made.
I'm advised to let all this go after it is settled, I don't believe I
could do that.

In other forums the advise doled is subjective sure, but varied from
getting the prosecuting attorney under the gun for lack of substantial
charge and possible harassment suits. I can't say I'm up for those but
if money weren't the deciding factor there would be no question. That
in itself nearly proves how this is what it is-as you write,
harassment.

This being less a biking problem than an issue for an individual I
appreciate the feedback-I just don't know where to go with this-meeting
with a lawyer today and I'll hopefully be well beyond this in short
time.

Old November 8th 05, 11:39 AM
Archie A.

Curious on how this turns out... any updates?

Old November 10th 05, 06:09 PM

Still in the court process. Preliminary hearing on the 16th-hopefull
for a dismissal. I can't imagine why the prosecution would go on, but
I'm not very pleased about all this. So long as the police continue
to lie and use tax money to abuse the positions they hold I'll be
paying a lawyer to retain my civil rights. Inalienable, ha.

Thanks for asking Archie.

Old November 17th 05, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

Dismissed. Went to court today for the preliminary hearing. The
judge has remained an honorable figure in my eyes as he released me
from any trial by jury or prosecution. Thank God. If I so desired I
could file a civil law suit, but I'd hate to be that way. It's tough
to take a month of my life for this and pay for the lawyer to defend
me, and jail isn't fun or cheap but I don't know that it would help me
in the end. I'd love to hear opinions-