Washed bike with garden hose jet - disaster?

Old March 13th 05, 01:33 PM
plampione

Default Washed bike with garden hose jet - disaster?

Hello All,

I am new to mountain biking (and I am new to having to take care of my
bike in general). After three rides in gritty granitic sand-mud, I
decided it was high time to wash the bike. I pulled out the garden
hose, choose the "jet" setting (it's one of those hoses that has a
spout that can produce mist, shower, etc), and blasted the bike until
the mud was off (I then cleaned the chain with a toothbrush and more
care, and re-greased it).

Now I read in the newsgroup that it is a BAD idea to blast the bike
with a jet of water, as the water gets into the bearings. So my
question is: now what? Is there anything special I should do? Should
I bring the bike to a bike shop to be checked for water?

As an aside, after the wash, the brakes started SQUEALING madly. I
assume that's a good thing: they are so loud that a good part of the
energy is surely dissipating into sound, rather than heat, helping
keeping the brakes cool. However, I am worried about the effects on
wildlife, and I believe riding with earplugs will lessen the enjoyment
of the ride. What is the cause of the squealing? I tried to clean the
discs (I have disc brakes) and the pads with alcohol, as I have read,
but it didn't help...

Thanks for your advice,

Peter

Old March 13th 05, 03:43 PM
Mian

1. you can jetwash your bike, just keep the jet away from the bottom
bracket/ fork seals/ suspension pivots etc.

2. the squealing could be caused by water trapped between the pad and the
piston

ups.com...

Old March 13th 05, 06:23 PM

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help

solving
posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see

http://rbor.org/
Please read the charter before posting:

http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help

solving
posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see

http://rbor.org/
Please read the charter before posting:

http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Never-ever use a jet wash or a power washer on your bike . A gentle
spray or even straight from the hose is good enough . Ater a few times
, your bike cleaning time should cut down to about 10 minutes .
Afterwards , dry your bike , especially your chain thouroughly to get
the water out of the nooks and crannies ( I'veactually used a blow
dryer on my chain ) Lube your chain and wipe off any excess lube. Don't
worry too much about your squeling brakes . They'll warn hikers and
other bikers of your presence and if you are zoned during the ride ,
you'll never notice the noise.

Old March 13th 05, 09:10 PM
plampione

Mian wrote:
1. you can jetwash your bike, just keep the jet away from the bottom
bracket/ fork seals/ suspension pivots etc.

I am not sure I paid attention to keeping the jet away, but also I
didn't
insist on any particular area, so I guess I should be fine...

2. the squealing could be caused by water trapped between the pad and

the
piston

You are right. After drying overnight, the squealing is completely
gone.
I will have to be more careful when washing the brakes (I still need to

clean them periodically: I bike in a place where the ground is a
kind of granitic mud/grit that gouges the discs when it gets inside
the brakes).

Thanks,

Peter

Old March 14th 05, 05:44 AM
Westie

plampione wrote:
Mian wrote:

1. you can jetwash your bike, just keep the jet away from the bottom
bracket/ fork seals/ suspension pivots etc.

I am not sure I paid attention to keeping the jet away, but also I
didn't
insist on any particular area, so I guess I should be fine...

2. the squealing could be caused by water trapped between the pad and

the

piston

You are right. After drying overnight, the squealing is completely
gone.
I will have to be more careful when washing the brakes (I still need to

clean them periodically: I bike in a place where the ground is a
kind of granitic mud/grit that gouges the discs when it gets inside
the brakes).

Thanks,

Peter

Word of warning: Don't obsess about cleaning your bike. IMHO, a
hairdryer and toothbrushes, while no doubt very effective once in a
while, are verging on the obsessive :-)

Make sure you spend more time riding than maintaining it. With luck,
you'll wear everything out before the water has time to damage it.
--
Westie

Old March 13th 05, 06:22 PM

I would take the bike to a shop for a good once over. I invested in a
bike stand, and also found a Pedro's bike wash kit, that came with a
pale, sponge, lubricant for the chain, and a product called "Bike Lust"
which you can spray on the frame after washing and drying it. It makes
the frame shine like new, and also helps resist mud, or at the very
least, helps the mud come off much easier. I just throw the bike in
the stand and wash with the sponge.

Old March 14th 05, 09:22 PM
TJ

"plampione" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello All,

You will be alright. Don't directly spray the bearings or shifters. They
don't weather so well.

TJ

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 11:28 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM