Killer gets off with 1-3 years

Old March 18th 05, 04:12 AM
bbaka

S o r n i wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

Maggie wrote:

That was a cruel thing to say in a public forum. To suggest I have a
criminal past. That is hurtful. I never knew until this moment, how
Newsgroups can possibly hurt a person.

This is what someone one rec.bicycles.tech had to say about me:

...You have demonstrated to me that you are a piece of **** at
this point... Damn right, and choosing the way you did, you
demonstrated what a scumbag you are... Let me tell you dirtbag...
Ponder this, you ****head...
You are a miserable creature.

I was having a rough morning.

Amazing display of literacy, eh?
Bill Baka
Old March 18th 05, 04:39 AM
bbaka

Michael Warner wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:07:43 -0800, bbaka wrote:

Rewind. We need to go way back an change the inscription on the tablet
of the Statue of Liberty to read "Keep your damned useless in your
countries, because we don't want them either.". Are you old enough to
have seen what has happened here since the mid 1960s? I am
Caucasian/Native American and now a minority in the country of my
ancestors, thousands of years back. We are no longer the great melting
pot but just a kettle of crud. Harsh wording on my part, but quite
literally true.

Are you some sort of nut? Your society, like most in the West, was built
on waves of cheap immigrant labour who'd do dirty, dangerous, back-breaking
jobs for next to nothing.

Nut? By some people's standards, yes. My society? No!
My father's parents were Polish immigrants who came here about 1910 to
get away from the Russian revolution. They were very proud to learn to
speak English and to become proper naturalized citizens. My mother's
mother was the daughter of an Irish immigrant who came here because of
the great potato famine. My mother's father was the result of a marriage
between a French freedom fighter (for the Indians) and the daughter of
the chief he had been fighting the oppressive English colonials with.
My ancestors were more freedom fighters and seekers than oppressors.
Labour? Colour? Can't you English spell?
Bill Baka
Old March 18th 05, 05:47 AM
Bob

S o r n i wrote:
Bob wrote:

Does anyone with even a
passing knowledge of the undisputed facts in each case and an above
room temperature IQ really believe O.J. Simpson and (just this

week)
Robert Blake were not guilty? Yet they are both free men right now

not
for any lack of evidence of guilt or any presence of evidence that
they were NOT guilty but because juries set them free.

The two cases are hardly comparable, IMO. Orenthal was practically

drenched
in the victims' DNA; Blake had (from what I heard, at least)

absolutely no
forensic evidence on or about him. (A very small amount of gun

powder
residue was from his own gun, and not the murder weapon -- apparently

they
can test that?)

Bad apple and /really/ bad Juice?

No, you're mistaken. Blake's defense attorney *claimed* that the
gunshot residue found on his hand was from handling the weapon he
supposedly accidentally left in the restaurant. Gunshot residue results
from *firing* a gun and not merely handling a weapon that has not been
recently fired. This is just another example of "reasonable doubt"
being interpreted as "something that couldn't occur even in a parallel
universe". BTW, forensic scientists can't distinguish GSR resulting
from firing Weapon A from that resulting from firing Weapon B unless
the propellants used in the cartridges in A and B are of totally
different chemical composition, like for instance black powder versus
smokeless powder. The gun Blake said was his wasn't a musket, was it?
;-) Furthermore, forensic evidence- while extremely useful and
desirable- isn't always present no matter what the TV shows may lead
one to believe.
More telling to me than the lack of forensic evidence was the
absolutely incredible chain of events that the jury apparently bought.
A hypothetical question- If I try to hire not one but two people to
kill my wife and they turn me down, ask a third person to help me find
someone to kill my wife, tell anyone that will listen how much I hate
that no good lying bitch, and if she tells several friends that "if I'm
found murdered, Bob did it", then two weeks later I take the no good
lying bitch I hate with every fiber of my being out for a nice dinner
at the conclusion of which she just *happens* to be shot to death when-
according to me- I'm not present.... would you think maybe I had
something to do with her death? Oh yeah, in this hypothetical the
murder weapon is found near the scene. It's an untraceable war relic,
it's covered with oil, and any fingerprints have been wiped away. The
police find traces of a similiar oil on my hands (several hours and
trips to the washroom later) but it- like the GSR- is so minute and so
generic that it can't be positively identified as the exact same oil
found on the murder weapon. In this hypothetical situation I won't even
bring up how I chose to park around the corner on a nearly-deserted
street instead of in front of the restaurant, how- although I was
carrying a gun because I had received death threats- I managed to
"lose" it in the restaurant only to suddenly realize that I didn't have
it after escorting her back to that lonely parking spot just at the
exact moment my stalker happened by, or even my actions after the
murder. g

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old March 18th 05, 06:23 AM
bbaka

S o r n i wrote:
Bob wrote:

Does anyone with even a
passing knowledge of the undisputed facts in each case and an above
room temperature IQ really believe O.J. Simpson and (just this week)
Robert Blake were not guilty? Yet they are both free men right now not
for any lack of evidence of guilt or any presence of evidence that
they were NOT guilty but because juries set them free.

The two cases are hardly comparable, IMO. Orenthal was practically drenched
in the victims' DNA; Blake had (from what I heard, at least) absolutely no
forensic evidence on or about him. (A very small amount of gun powder
residue was from his own gun, and not the murder weapon -- apparently they
can test that?)

Bad apple and /really/ bad Juice?

I think O.J. got off because he was still a visible semi-star at the
time and the jury was not too bright. As far as Blake, I don't think he
did do it and the police let the real killer go. Once a suspect is in
custody, the investigation seems to stop, as has been proven lately by
all the death row cases being dropped due to DNA evidence, meaning there
are a lot of killers out there that got away with it.
Not a pretty thought.
Sorry, but it is true.
Bill Baka
Old March 18th 05, 06:35 AM
bbaka

Bob wrote:
S o r n i wrote:

Bob wrote:

[...]

There are slight differences in the residue, even if only at the PPB
level. Different casing, powder, lead, barrel. I have been involved with
chemical analysis and it is getting closer to parts per trillion if you
have the money for the equipment. Also in a gun firing some of the lead
and casing material does get caught up in the blowback, and the last
time I read anything about it lead has different isotopes, and there may
be more than one casing manufacturer, maybe.

[...]

Spidey (cop) sense tingling, Bob?
Bill Baka

Just trolling you this time.
Old March 18th 05, 07:11 AM
S o r n i

bbaka wrote:
S o r n i wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

Maggie wrote:

That was a cruel thing to say in a public forum. To suggest I have
a criminal past. That is hurtful. I never knew until this moment,
how Newsgroups can possibly hurt a person.

This is what someone one rec.bicycles.tech had to say about me:

...You have demonstrated to me that you are a piece of **** at
this point... Damn right, and choosing the way you did, you
demonstrated what a scumbag you are... Let me tell you dirtbag...
Ponder this, you ****head...
You are a miserable creature.

I was having a rough morning.

Amazing display of literacy, eh?

Umm, Bill? It was a JOKE. (Hint: I would never write something like
that...unless /provoked/, of course! 8-) )

Old March 18th 05, 08:08 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:23:39 -0800, ,
bbaka wrote:

Once a suspect is in
custody, the investigation seems to stop, as has been proven lately by
all the death row cases being dropped due to DNA evidence, meaning there
are a lot of killers out there that got away with it.

Especially when the weapon is a four door scud.

It's downright disgusting that our society accepts "accident" as an
excuse for these all too predictable fukups.

This little **** has a record of being a ****. Flush it and be done.
Don't waste money on "rehabilitation". Go for the "revenge" aspect and
teach all these asswipe scud jockeys that driving isn't a joke.

That won't happen because we're crippled by our dependence on cars.

Scud makers buy the most advertising using fantasy to sell their crap
so we'll never see responsible driving promoted as a worthwhile social
value. Dangerous driving is promoted as entertainment.

CARS SUCK! and so does car culture (sic)
And anybody who can't see that is stupid! stupid! stupid!
--
zk
Old March 18th 05, 09:26 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On 17 Mar 2005 05:25:46 -0800 in rec.bicycles.misc, "Maggie"
wrote:

Throwing an 18
year old in jail for 10 years will create a hardened criminal when he
gets out.

dammit, he IS a hardened criminal! he's a multiple offender,
with a previous record of speeding and road racing.

Old March 18th 05, 09:31 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On 17 Mar 2005 08:01:10 -0800 in rec.bicycles.misc, "Maggie"
wrote:

I think I am being misunderstood, so I might as well give up. I did not
start out or continue on my rant concerning that particular kid in the
post. I am very involved in a program to help first time offenders.

well, the kid who is the topic of this thread IS NOT a first time
offender, so all of your yammering about the program with which
you are involved is OFF TOPIC for this newsgroup. please try
alt.support.first-time-offenders, not here.

now to get back on topic, 3 years is far too short for a multiple
offender like this. he should get a lifetime license revocation
and serve 5 years of his 10 to 20 before he can apply for parole.

of course the first time he had been caught racing he should have
had a 5 year suspension and at least 90 days.

Old March 18th 05, 10:05 AM
Tom Sherman

Maggie wrote:

The story that started this thread just led me to the question
of...WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD HAPPEN TO HIM? It was just a question.

One thing that should definitely happen to him is this: He should
never be allowed to drive again. Ever.

Jail time on top of that is fine. But I think that no matter _what_
your excuse, if the car you are driving kills a pedestrian or cyclist,
you should never again drive a car. Period.

There will be a few situations where that might seem too harsh. No
matter. Operating dangerous machinery in public is supposed to be a
privilege, not a right. To do so, you should need a very good record.
And you cannot define "having killed someone" as anything but a
terrible record, no matter what your excuse.

If a pedestrian climbs over the fence and darts into traffic on an urban
controlled access highway, I would be at fault for hitting him?

If a person on a bicycle runs a red light at 20-mph and I hit him, I am
at fault?

So if I am driving along and a person jumps off a tree branch
overhanging the road onto the ground in front of me I am at fault for
hitting him?

If a drunken person wearing dark clothes is riding at night on a bike
with no lights or reflectors suddenly swerves off the sidewalk into my
path; I would be at fault for hitting him?

If a pedestrian runs out from in front of a parked truck that is too
tall to see over, and I am travelling at a reasonable speed for
conditions, but still hit him, am I at fault.

There are many accidents involving pedestrians, people on bicycles, and
motor vehicles where the motor vehicle operator is not a fault. This is
especially true when the pedestrians and people on bicycles are
children, college undergraduates, or inebriated.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)