Help - derailleur capacity

Old August 15th 05, 11:38 AM
LSMike

Default Help - derailleur capacity

I have a q on chain length/derailleur capacity on my 'bent, how much should
I expect it to handle?

57/39 on the front
11-32 on the back
Deore XT long cage rear derailleur
105 FD, easily handles the 39-57 change.

Should I be able to use 1-9 on both front rings?

Old August 15th 05, 12:46 PM
Arthur Clune

LSMike wrote:
: I have a q on chain length/derailleur capacity on my 'bent, how much should
: I expect it to handle?

: 57/39 on the front
: 11-32 on the back
: Deore XT long cage rear derailleur
: 105 FD, easily handles the 39-57 change.

: Should I be able to use 1-9 on both front rings?

Probably, given that you have no chain line issues.

Arthur

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

Old August 15th 05, 01:20 PM
Dave Larrington

LSMike wrote:
I have a q on chain length/derailleur capacity on my 'bent, how much
should I expect it to handle?

57/39 on the front
11-32 on the back
Deore XT long cage rear derailleur
105 FD, easily handles the 39-57 change.

Should I be able to use 1-9 on both front rings?

Short answer: yes
Longer answer: Shimano quote total capacity as 45T, you're using (57-39) +
(32 - 11) = 39T, so no problems as long as you've got enough chain to get
the big-big combo without tying the rear derailleur in knots.

Like Kant, it is my wish to create my own individual epistemology. But
I also wish to find out what is for pudding.

Old August 15th 05, 01:27 PM
Pete Biggs

LSMike wrote:
I have a q on chain length/derailleur capacity on my 'bent, how much
should I expect it to handle?

57/39 on the front
11-32 on the back
Deore XT long cage rear derailleur
105 FD, easily handles the 39-57 change.

The capacity spec should be on the Shimano website(s); refer to model
number marked on the derailleur. Have the chain no longer than needed for
big-big (57x32) to get the most out of the rear mech.

Should I be able to use 1-9 on both front rings?

I understand you can with 'bents.

~PB

Old August 15th 05, 10:00 PM
David Nutter

On 2005-08-15, Pete Biggs wrote:
LSMike wrote:
I have a q on chain length/derailleur capacity on my 'bent, how much
should I expect it to handle?

57/39 on the front
11-32 on the back
Deore XT long cage rear derailleur
105 FD, easily handles the 39-57 change.

The capacity spec should be on the Shimano website(s); refer to model
number marked on the derailleur. Have the chain no longer than needed for
big-big (57x32) to get the most out of the rear mech.

Plus you can usually push Shimano mechs to handle an extra tooth if
necessary. YMMV of course.

Regards,

-david

max shifting capacity on C-Record derailleur Lee Techniques 0 June 19th 05 04:19 PM
Derailleur Capacity John Everett Techniques 3 April 3rd 05 03:23 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Trouble with a new Shimano Triple Front Derailleur FD-5504 Leon Techniques 8 May 12th 04 10:03 PM
Shimano 105 rear derailleur weird specs Grenouil Techniques 6 August 10th 03 02:14 PM