A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ticking noise how to peg it down

Old July 31st 19, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Ticking noise how to peg it down

Ok put on the new 11 speed chain shimano with used Wippermann Connex. Drivetrain runs fine but notice a tick when I pedal, no tick when not pedaling. It seems to click sometimes but at other times no noise. Thinking it was my Wippermann Connex having been used for two chains I got a new 11 speed Wippermann Connex and put it on.

Well same result the click sound is still present. It seems to not be from the from front derailleur. It appears the click happens in fast succession so chain does not make one complete revolution. I cannot duplicate the tick on the stand if I pedal the cranks on the repair stand it sounds perfect.

Clearly this is not a big issue but I really do not like the clicks even though they are no really loud, just were not that way before putting on new chain. What is the best approach pin this puppy down.

Deacon Mark
Ads
Old July 31st 19, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 11:43:25 AM UTC-4, Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok put on the new 11 speed chain shimano with used Wippermann Connex. Drivetrain runs fine but notice a tick when I pedal, no tick when not pedaling.. It seems to click sometimes but at other times no noise. Thinking it was my Wippermann Connex having been used for two chains I got a new 11 speed Wippermann Connex and put it on.

Well same result the click sound is still present. It seems to not be from the from front derailleur. It appears the click happens in fast succession so chain does not make one complete revolution. I cannot duplicate the tick on the stand if I pedal the cranks on the repair stand it sounds perfect..

Clearly this is not a big issue but I really do not like the clicks even though they are no really loud, just were not that way before putting on new chain. What is the best approach pin this puppy down.

Deacon Mark

One tight link? Quick link not fullu closed?

Cheers
Old July 31st 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 7/31/2019 11:43 AM, Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok put on the new 11 speed chain shimano with used Wippermann Connex. Drivetrain runs fine but notice a tick when I pedal, no tick when not pedaling. It seems to click sometimes but at other times no noise. Thinking it was my Wippermann Connex having been used for two chains I got a new 11 speed Wippermann Connex and put it on.

Well same result the click sound is still present. It seems to not be from the from front derailleur. It appears the click happens in fast succession so chain does not make one complete revolution. I cannot duplicate the tick on the stand if I pedal the cranks on the repair stand it sounds perfect.

The frequency of the clicks (that is, number of clicks per minute) can
be a big clue. Is it closer to wheel rotation speed (maybe 150 to 200
clicks per minute), or to crank rotation speed (70 to 100), or to chain
rotation speed (maybe 40 clicks per minute)?

If the latter, perhaps you could put the bike on the workstand and find
a way to pedal _not_ freely, but against resistance. Use a strap to
apply the rear brake a bit; or hold back on the wheel with one hand
while you turn the cranks with the other. Maybe put the bike on the
ground and pedal it forward very slowly while you apply a brake. See if
the click corresponds to a certain position of the chain, and then watch
the links passing through the derailleur pulleys and over the cogs.
Also, flex each link by hand.

If it clicks in sync with wheel rotation, check out each spoke. Flex for
tightness checks, be sure there are no clicks at the crosses.

If it syncs with crank rotation, good luck! So many things can make
noise in response to pedal pressure. Check crank bearings (you might
pull the chain to do that), check pedal tightness, check chainring bolts
and any other fasteners in your crankset. But also check your handlebar
clamp, your stem clamps, your seatpost, etc. Lube the surfaced of your
pedals where they contact your shoes. Heck, I have a saddle that
sometimes squeaks in sync with my pedaling - then stops after a while.
Very frustrating.

I assume you're not riding with fenders, racks, bags or other
accessories that might make noise. But if you are, check all those for
tightness.

Again: Good luck!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 31st 19, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 8:43:25 AM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok put on the new 11 speed chain shimano with used Wippermann Connex. Drivetrain runs fine but notice a tick when I pedal, no tick when not pedaling.. It seems to click sometimes but at other times no noise. Thinking it was my Wippermann Connex having been used for two chains I got a new 11 speed Wippermann Connex and put it on.

Well same result the click sound is still present. It seems to not be from the from front derailleur. It appears the click happens in fast succession so chain does not make one complete revolution. I cannot duplicate the tick on the stand if I pedal the cranks on the repair stand it sounds perfect..

Deacon Mark

1. Well, first thought is that the place most affected by your weight would be the bottom bracket. Is there any play in it?
2. Put the bike on rollers, get an automotive stethoscope, get on and pedal, have an assistant point the tube of the stethoscope in various directions to see where the click is coming from.

dkl
Old August 1st 19, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 10:43:25 AM UTC-5, Mark Cleary wrote:

Deacon Mark

Ok I took rear wheel off lube around the quick release, pedals, and a bit on the cassette itself. So today on a 71 mile ride it did not make a sound all is back as it was, my guess is just putting the wheel back in and out would have done it, but you never know for sure.

Deacon Mark
Old August 1st 19, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 8/1/2019 10:20 AM, Mark Cleary wrote:

Deacon Mark

Ok I took rear wheel off lube around the quick release, pedals, and a bit on the cassette itself. So today on a 71 mile ride it did not make a sound all is back as it was, my guess is just putting the wheel back in and out would have done it, but you never know for sure.

Deacon Mark

Did you oil your QR cam?
Amazingly common source of noise.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old August 1st 19, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 11:46:22 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

Deacon Mark

Deacon Mark

Did you oil your QR cam?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Yes the cam it was a Shimano internal.
Deacon Mark
Old August 1st 19, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 12:46:22 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Deacon Mark

Deacon Mark

Did you oil your QR cam?

And IME they gradually get harder to operate, in a frog-in-a-pot way. I don't
notice it day by day, until one day I realize it's really difficult to clamp
things properly. Then I open it, lube it, and all is fine again.

- Frank Krygowski