should you repair holes in actual bike tire vs tube?

Old March 12th 10, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
speakout

Default should you repair holes in actual bike tire vs tube?

I notice a big hole in my tire and I have had two flats in that area.
I used a new tube and checked for burrs the first time i got a flat.
How would i repair the tire hole? I tried putting silicone in the hole
but not sure this will work.
Old March 12th 10, 09:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

speakout wrote:

I notice a big hole in my tire and I have had two flats in that area.
I used a new tube and checked for burrs the first time i got a flat.
How would i repair the tire hole? I tried putting silicone in the hole
but not sure this will work.

A cut through a tire's casing that is larger than about 2-3mm but too
small to cause the tube to blow out immediately is referred to as a
"nibbler". As the tire rolls under load, the cut opens and closes on
the bulge of tube protruding into it, gradually wearing a hole in the
tube.

Casing cuts like that are repaired with a boot (textile patch) stuck
on the inside of the tire casing. A dollar bill folded into four
layers is the customary emergency tire boot. For a more roadworthy
repair, I use an X or asterisk of cloth rim tape on small cuts. A
traditional tire boot was a piece cut from a worn-out sewup tire. I
have seen a lot of duct tape tire boots, but that kind of tape really
isn't stiff enough to hold the pressure for long without bulging out
through the cut. For cuts over about 8-10mm I usually discard the
tire.

Glue alone can't fix a casing cut. You have to cover it with
something that can hold back the tire's pressure and keep the tube
from bulging into the hole.

Chalo
Old March 12th 10, 11:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ssss ssssssss

On Mar 12, 12:26*am, Chalo wrote:
speakout wrote:

[...]

thats a pretty esoteric thing to know hope it isnt from experience.
yeah, i can fit a small screwdriver in which is 3mm wide. I put a
rubber patch on inside. the patch is about 1 mm thick. might put some
duct tape over it to soften the edges. This is a mountain bike with
2.1 by 26 tires. oh yeah, thanks a lot.

Old March 12th 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
speakout wrote:

I notice a big hole in my tire and I have had two flats in that area.
I used a new tube and checked for burrs the first time i got a flat.
How would i repair the tire hole? I tried putting silicone in the
hole but not sure this will work.

A big hole in the tire? Probably time to buy a new one. Or you could
try a tire boot.

--
Faith is believing what you know ain't so.
-Mark Twain
Old March 13th 10, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

On Mar 12, 2:52*am, speakout wrote:
I notice a big hole in my tire and I have had two flats in that area.
I used a new tube and checked for burrs the first time i got a flat.
How would i repair the tire hole? I tried putting silicone in the hole
but not sure this will work.

I've used a boot made from a piece of plastic cut out from a milk
bottle. Rounded the edges, so nothing sharp to penetrate the inner
tube. Duct taped it in place, inside the tire. Then used super glue
gel on the outside of the tire to fill in the hole. Not elegant, but
it worked for many miles. I've done this twice, so far.

Best,
Larry
Old March 14th 10, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

On Mar 12, 11:02*pm, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Larry Fieman read:
I notice a big hole in my tire and I have had two flats in that
area. *I used a new tube and checked for burrs the first time i got
a flat. *How would i repair the tire hole? *I tried putting
silicone in the hole but not sure this will work.

and responded:
I've used a boot made from a piece of plastic cut out from a milk
bottle. *Rounded the edges, so nothing sharp to penetrate the inner
tube. *Duct taped it in place, inside the tire. *Then used super
glue gel on the outside of the tire to fill in the hole. *Not
elegant, but it worked for many miles. *I've done this twice, so
far.

Jobst Brandt commented:
A reason for not using semi rigid plastic is that the tire is bias ply
and stretches diagonally as it passes through the load affected zone
on the road. *This will cause severe chafing with for instance a piece
of an aluminum soda-pop can, for instance. *The foil will support the
load but damage to the surrounding tire casing and the tube can
cause failure.

For the above reason, cutting a section of a light weight tubular tire
to use as a boot over small hole in a tire is better and it can be
assisted by putting rapid cure elastic adhesive in the tire just
before inflating to low pressure so the boot will settle into its
final position. *This was more important in the days of few good tires
for replacements and especially to repair a good tubular.

Jobst Brandt

I respond:
I've seen the results of that chafing, as the edge of the plastic from
the milk bottle abraded thru the duct tape. The oval plastic boot cut
an oval in the duct tape. Each time I got a flat (caused from one of
the usual culprits -- not from the boot), and replaced the inner tube
with a previously repaired one, I also replaced the duct tape over the
plastic boot. IIRC, I rode my commuter bike for about a year that way
before I replaced the tire.

Best,
Larry
Old March 14th 10, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

LF wrote:
[...]

I've used an old MTB tire with skinwalls for cutting boots. Tyvek
shipping envelopes are also recommended by some, although I haven't
tried. Most of the time if I have a tread cut that has cut some cord I
just use a regular tube patch on the inside of the tire.
Old March 14th 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/14/2010 11:05 AM, Peter Cole wrote:
LF wrote:
[...]

I carry a piece of Tyvek in my second-water-bottle tool kit. I figure
that that pretty much guarantees I'll never need it, and it weighs about
nothing.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 15th 10, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

LF wrote:
[...]

It might not need to be about 14" long and you'll not need a tube of
neoprene cement, for when your folding tyre lifts in the wet and gets
sliced by your mudguard mounts. Salmon guards dont have that problem,
neither can someone behind get caught up on it.
Old March 16th 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Larry Fieman wrote:
[...]

i sometimes cut a chunk from the sidewall of a skinwall MTB tire for a
boot, then glue it in place with patch cement. It will often hold for
quite a while, but with the original tire casing torn, the tire gets
pretty distorted after a while, particularly with high pressure - dax