Is this a a good deal?

Old March 2nd 04, 04:06 PM
Simon Mason

Default Is this a a good deal?

Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water with
it, but this year I'm going to treat myself to a new road bike for summer.
525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large frame (I'm 6ft 2in) with Tiagra
groupset. Is this a fair price?
Many Thanks

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old March 2nd 04, 04:31 PM
McBain_v1

Simon Mason wrote:
Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water
with it, but this year I'm going to treat myself to a new road bike for
summer. 525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large frame (I'm 6ft 2in)
with Tiagra groupset. Is this a fair price? Many Thanks

Personally I would be a little wary about the adjustable stem - th
thought of it deciding to change position whilst you were cranking i
up/down a hill is a bit alarming

Are you going to go for the triple chainset or the double

-

Old March 2nd 04, 04:45 PM
Simon Mason

"McBain_v1" wrote in message
. ..
Simon Mason wrote:
Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water
with it, but this year I'm going to treat myself to a new road bike

for
summer. 525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large frame (I'm 6ft 2in)
with Tiagra groupset. Is this a fair price? Many Thanks

Personally I would be a little wary about the adjustable stem - the
thought of it deciding to change position whilst you were cranking it
up/down a hill is a bit alarming.

Are you going to go for the triple chainset or the double?

The triple as I'm used to one on my hybrid and I prefer to twiddle up hills
seated rather than honking. I'd like to relive a trip I did in my teenage
years to the North Yorks Moors and back this summer. I could do it on my
heavy hybrid but I'd like to experience it on a purpose built machine,
although I'm hoping the ride won't be too harsh on my bones. Also I want to
see if I'm fit enough to possibly join the local club as they publish their
trips on the web around the same hills I ride on and I can measure myself
against their times.

Simon

Old March 2nd 04, 05:14 PM
W K

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water with
it, but this year I'm going to treat myself to a new road bike for summer.
525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large frame (I'm 6ft 2in) with Tiagra
groupset. Is this a fair price?

That rings a bell as the standard price for one of them.

Old March 2nd 04, 06:05 PM
Michael MacClancy

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:06:12 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water with
it, but this year I'm going to treat myself to a new road bike for summer.
525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large frame (I'm 6ft 2in) with Tiagra
groupset. Is this a fair price?
Many Thanks

Sounds like it. My LBS is asking £625 for the same machine. My wife has
the FSR1 which is essentially the same bike but with straight bars and
alloy forks. She's very happy with it and she rides it pretty quickly.
--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." -
Old March 2nd 04, 07:56 PM
Whingin' Pom

wrote:

Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water with
it, but this year I'm going to treat myself to a new road bike for summer.
525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large frame (I'm 6ft 2in) with Tiagra
groupset. Is this a fair price?

Sounds about right. I've got the OCR3 (same frame, Sora components,
cack shifters). It's a nice light commuter-bike now I've added
mudguards, a bigger rear block, lights and a seat-pack.

If it uses the same adjustable stem, consider swapping it for a
non-adjustable one. Even done up tight, mine creaks and flexes in a
disconcerting manner.

--
Matt K
Dunedin, NZ
Old March 2nd 04, 09:06 PM
Steve Holdoway

wrote:

Bonus time is a coming and usually I pay off my council tax and water with
it, but this year I'm going to treat myself to a new road bike for summer.
525 quid will buy an 04 Giant OCR1 large frame (I'm 6ft 2in) with Tiagra
groupset. Is this a fair price?

Sounds about right. I've got the OCR3 (same frame, Sora components,
cack shifters). It's a nice light commuter-bike now I've added
mudguards, a bigger rear block, lights and a seat-pack.

If it uses the same adjustable stem, consider swapping it for a
non-adjustable one. Even done up tight, mine creaks and flexes in a
disconcerting manner.

....well, mine doesn't, and I'm only just under 100kg! I'm very happy
with mine, and the indexing is _far_ better than that on my (Dura Ace)
Softride! The radially spoked front wheel seems to make interesting
noises in croswinds, though. It also took me weeks of fiddling to et
it comfortably set up.

If the OCR1 is anything as good as the 3, then I don't hesitate to
recommend it!

Steve
Another pom on South Island!

Old March 2nd 04, 10:43 PM
Whingin' Pom

wrote:

Sounds about right. I've got the OCR3 (same frame, Sora components,
cack shifters). It's a nice light commuter-bike now I've added
mudguards, a bigger rear block, lights and a seat-pack.

If it uses the same adjustable stem, consider swapping it for a
non-adjustable one. Even done up tight, mine creaks and flexes in a
disconcerting manner.

...well, mine doesn't, and I'm only just under 100kg!

OK. Maybe the extra 30kg of lard that I carry makes the difference.
The stem is safe, it's just...disconcerting..

I'm very happy
with mine, and the indexing is _far_ better than that on my (Dura Ace)
Softride!

Haven't had Dura-ace, but apart from the daft positioning of the
down-shifters (can't reach them with my thumbs from the drops)
I agree. The indexing is spot on.

The radially spoked front wheel seems to make interesting
noises in croswinds, though. It also took me weeks of fiddling to et
it comfortably set up.

I haven't had this problem, but it could be because I haven't had any
crosswinds. :-)
Plenty of headwinds, though. Long straight, headwind. Turn sharp left,
headwind. How do they do that?

Seriously, I've had no problems with the wheels. After 6 weeks from
new and about 200 miles, they're still dead on true. Quite surprised
me, really.

If the OCR1 is anything as good as the 3, then I don't hesitate to
recommend it!

I had a look at an OCR1. Very nice package indeed. Would have got it
if the budget had allowed.

Steve
Another pom on South Island!

Cool. :-)
What's the cycling like where you are?

--
Matt K
Dunedin, NZ
Old March 3rd 04, 09:33 AM
Arthur Clune

Whingin' Pom wrote:

: If it uses the same adjustable stem, consider swapping it for a
: non-adjustable one. Even done up tight, mine creaks and flexes in a
: disconcerting manner.

I've riden a Giant with one and not had any problems.

The best plan is probably to use the adjustable stem for a while till
you get the position sorted and after that swap it out if you want.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old March 3rd 04, 09:42 AM
Whingin' Pom

On 3 Mar 2004 09:33:12 GMT, "Arthur Clune" wrote:

Whingin' Pom wrote:

: If it uses the same adjustable stem, consider swapping it for a
: non-adjustable one. Even done up tight, mine creaks and flexes in a
: disconcerting manner.

I've riden a Giant with one and not had any problems.

It's possibly a lard-related issue. That or me hauling on the bars
like a geriller as I'm trying to climb the hills round here.

The best plan is probably to use the adjustable stem for a while till
you get the position sorted and after that swap it out if you want.

That's the plan. What's a good brand/type of stem to go for?
--
Matt K
Dunedin, NZ