NAUCC 2005 Highlights

Old August 2nd 05, 06:21 PM
skate4flip

Default NAUCC 2005 Highlights

I took some pictures at NAUCC, mostly of the parade, some track, and
some trials. I dont have a gallery to upload them in though.

--
skate4flip - Level 5
skate4flip's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10198

Old August 2nd 05, 07:11 PM
Tmornstar

As you may know, hosting the NAUCC is a little like hosting the
Olympics. There are several venues involved and most of which have not
been nailed-down (yet) due to the dates still being up in the air. I
hope to have the venues and the dates firm by mid-September. It all
hinges on the availability of gyms and track. I would love to have the
track events at night under the lights and trials indoor (in the a/c).
As it stands, the marathon (10K) will be held in Overton Park beneath
150 year-old, old growth forest. The MUni will be all in the forest, as
well, at Stanky Creek Trails, Bartlett, TN (a suburban community to
Memphis). I was hoping to have a parade competition at one of our local
4th of July parades but it looks like that will not be very likely
because so many folks want to ride their hometown parades on that
weekend. It is all still in the planning and organization stages.

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

Tommy Thompson
(No PMs. please)
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Old August 3rd 05, 06:14 AM
jsm

Because someone isn't a citizen of our country they can't take a place
in a tournament? It seems a little rigged that Amy took first in my
opinion. Kaori is a unicyclist just like anyone else, she deserves to
have the chance to place in a tournament.. You do know that americans
can compete in Japan UNICON and place, dont you? Kaori Deserved 1st
place. You would have caught me swearing at you from the crowed carol.
You didn't even mention Kaori in your posts earlier, its a shame you
have to be cruel like that to another unicyclist.

It's the NORTH AMERICAN Unicycling Championships and Convention, so you
have to be from North America to compete. UNICON is a world competition
(which just happened to be in Japan last year), so anyone can compete.
As far as I know, Americans don't compete in the yearly Japanese
Unicycling Championships.

--
jsm - Sunset Side Ride

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

Old August 3rd 05, 02:30 PM
uniprincess

jsm said it all... that's exactly what i was going to write

--
uniprincess - unicyclist
uniprincess's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12

Old August 3rd 05, 04:07 PM
scorpio

Ditto JSM

UNICON is a world competition

This is the international's site:

http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/

It's the NORTH AMERICAN Unicycling Championships and Convention, so
you have to be from North America to compete

NAUCC is run and put together by the The Unicycling Society of America
... This is their Home Page:

http://www.unicycling.org/usa/

From the Rule Book:

http://tinyurl.com/252k

RESPONSIBILITIES OF INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPANTS:
1.23 ELIGIBILITY: All attendees must be current (paid up) USA members to
register. Registrations must be
completed, signed, and fully paid before the rider can participate in
any events. Attendees must be citizens or legal
residents of the United States of America or Canada to register as
competitors. Persons not eligible to register as
competitors are welcome to register as non-competitors.
1.23.1 PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY: Citizenship or residence may be established
with a passport or drivers license. If a
rider is transitioning into the US or Canada, a current passport, visa
and/or work permit must be used to establish
eligibility. Riders on extended vacation, exchange students, and other
temporary residents of the United States of
America or Canada are not eligible to compete.

Carol McLean is one of many individuals that have spent years promoting
unicycling nationally and internationally. You have a right to your
opinion, but I personally find your comments about her unwarranted and
offensive.

I can only hope that you do some research next time before commenting
about an organization or an individual.

--
scorpio - Unicycle Dad
scorpio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1242

Old August 3rd 05, 04:38 PM
unicycle6869

I second that Scorpio and everyone else who's commented on
Äusserst_einrad's response.

--
unicycle6869 - LEVEL 10 RIDER-HELL YA!

Jamey (formerly known as tuna6869)

Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
screws the country?

*20 Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you
didn't do than by the things you did-EXPLORE-DREAM-LIVE!
unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990

Old August 3rd 05, 05:53 PM
unicycle6869

Äusserst_einrad see these post's on more about Koari:

http://tinyurl.com/bfl6d

Old August 3rd 05, 08:01 PM
tadaniels

The rule prohibiting non-North American competitors at the North
American Unicycling Championships and Convention came into being in 2002
because of requirements placed on the event by the insurance
underwriter. To suggest any other motives is inaccurate and
irresponsible.

--
tadaniels - Former USA President
tadaniels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/352

Old August 3rd 05, 08:23 PM
muni_guy

Äusserst_einrad,

As has been stated by others in this thread earlier ...

UNICON is considered the World Unicycle Championships. It is an
INTER-national competition since *riders from all countries are allowed
to compete and place.*

NAUCC is the North American Unicycle Convention and Championships. It is
a NATIONAL competition since *riders from all countries are allowed to
participate, however, only North American riders can officially
place.*

It has nothing to do with racism ...
A national competition (whether it be in the USA or elsewhere) is meant
to allow the best competitors from that country to show themselves and
their skills.

Many, if not all, amateur sports (from running to swimming) follow these
same rules in which a countries national championships are open to
perminent residents/citizens of that country only. While people from
other countries may typically participate, they do so purely for
exhibition purposes and are not recorded in the final results.

The NAUCC is NOT the only competiton to restrict entries based on
citizenship ...
I was in Germany a couple years ago and participated in the German
National Unicycle Championships, but since I am Canadian my performances
did not count nor were they officially recorded.

The TOque Games are not like UNICON or the NAUCC. The TOque Games are
not affiliated with any governing unicycle body and is organized
independantly by the Toronto Unicyclists. There is therefore no
restriction on who can compete, but at the same time the results mean
nothing outside the context of the games from an official standpoint.

Carl

--
muni_guy - Carl Hoyer

http://www.mountainunicycling.com/~choyer
muni_guy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/77

Old August 3rd 05, 08:29 PM
Carol McLean

Tommy -- we're really looking forward to next summer already. I know
that hosting the event is extremely difficult, and I'm always amazed
when the organizers can pull it off so well.

Aussert_einrad -- I thought Kaori's presentation was fabulous. I think
her level of skill and her smooth, fluid, flawless presentation were
inspiring. I don't participate in the judging at all, and I think there
have been other threads that discuss that issue, and the issue about who
may participate in a country's championships. This thread is about
highlights, and watching Kaori perform and watching Zack Baldwin and
Jeff Groves during the public show were definitely highlights.

By the way, Kaori was featured in the local newspaper there, the
Sentinel-Tribune -- front page, very large picture on July 28. Back at
the hotel the next day, she was just leaving the swimming pool when one
of the hotel maintenance workers came up to us and asked if she was the
person featured in the article. We assured him that she was, and he
said he just couldn't believe how talented she was. I told Kaori that
she's now a celebrity in Ohio!

Scorpio -- thanks. As a matter of fact, I have spent an enormous amount
of time on trying to promote unicycling over the last few years. It's a
terrific sport.

Christopher -- so we'll see you there in Tennessee? I will practice
making brownies for the next 11 months until I get it right. Bring
Harper.

Carol

P.S. Darren Bedford: I treat myself to one Kinderegg a day. Sure beats
the heck out of vitamins.

--
Carol McLean - Likes Pedal Pushers
Carol McLean's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3302