Yikes! Di2

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 1st 20, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Yikes! Di2

On 1/1/2020 3:59 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 9:46:36 PM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

Frank, How many people do you suppose there are left in the world
that use downtube shifters?

I see more bikes with downtube shifters at the shop than I do of all 11-speed bikes combined. These bikes are being used, which is why they come in for service.

I don't like using downtube shifters, which stay at about the same height off the ground no matter how tall the bike. (So for my bikes, they're way the hell down there somewhere.) But they are easily the most mechanically elegant shifters around, and the easiest to deal with from a service standpoint.

I prefer index thumbshifters with a friction option to any other shifters I've tried. I wish they were still made.

No insult intended but 11 speeds are new and since ALL of the upper end groups are now 11 speed and it is growing more and more difficult to get 10 speed or less parts you're not going to be seen fewer 11 speed bikes anytime soon.

What kind of shop employs you that has a sizeable clientele of downtube shifters?

Tom, new premium quality bikes have been 12 speed for a
while, not 11:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/wfd19b.jpg

That said, non-snobby shops who service the every day bikes
of your average USAian see a lot of downtube shifters. And a
lot of Deore six or seven speed top shifters (which may be
unkillable).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Yikes Qui si parla Campagnolo Techniques 122 June 21st 07 09:56 PM
Yikes Tom Nakashima Techniques 5 June 19th 07 11:57 PM
Yikes ! New video... thieum Unicycling 31 January 9th 07 02:00 PM
Assos... yikes! Scott Gordo Mountain Biking 2 October 13th 05 09:52 PM
Yikes!! Flying Elvis Mountain Biking 57 November 8th 04 10:35 PM