Gone Clipless

Old November 11th 04, 05:45 AM
DJ

Default Gone Clipless

Today I went Clipless for the first time....yep folks.......I invested in a
nice Shimano SPD set of shoes and pedals .....dunno the model but clipless
one side ordinary pedal on the other side.

These were put onto my Fuji Touring today and I rode my heart out with these
things and am convinced that i shoulda done this ages ago.......not exactly
a cheap investment but a good one none the less.

One things I'd like to ask the more cluey people here is, why do they call
the set-up where you have a metal cleat on the bottom of your shoe that
clips into a locked set-up on the pedal, CLIPLESS? I would have thought the
opposite, it makes sense to me that you clip it in and you are
locked/clipped onto the pedal yet they call it clipless......mmmmmm!!

Adam at the CMBS told me to first go home and slip in/out at least 20 times
with both feet to get the feeling of it, but i was in too much of a hurry to
try out this new/strange system and went riding with my feet fixed nicely to
the pedals and noticing a major difference in the transfer of power to the
pedals than before with just my joggers, i couldn't beleive there was such a
major difference and feel but it was all good and didn't feel that it was
too peculiar and already i have no problem clipping and unclipping although
just getting used to clipping in without actually looking down i know will
take some time....but hey.....i think i can adapt to this very well....i
guess only time will tell or the first emergency stop hehehe.....

Cheers
Dave J.

Old November 11th 04, 05:52 AM
Unregistered

"DJ" wrote in message
Today I went Clipless for the first time....yep folks.......I invested in

nice Shimano SPD set of shoes and pedals .....dunno the model but clipless
one side ordinary pedal on the other side.

These were put onto my Fuji Touring today and I rode my heart out with

these
things and am convinced that i shoulda done this ages ago.......not

exactly
a cheap investment but a good one none the less.

One things I'd like to ask the more cluey people here is, why do they

call
the set-up where you have a metal cleat on the bottom of your shoe that
clips into a locked set-up on the pedal, CLIPLESS? I would have thought

the
opposite, it makes sense to me that you clip it in and you are
locked/clipped onto the pedal yet they call it clipless......mmmmmm!!

CLIPLESS - As in "not a toe "clip"... :-)

Old November 11th 04, 05:59 AM
jazmo

DJ Wrote:
[...]

Welcome to the land of the enlightened. :

--
jazmo

Old November 11th 04, 06:04 AM
Unregistered

"jazmo" wrote in message

DJ Wrote:
[...]

SPD's are a great pedal, too. I use them on both my roadie and mountain
bike. They're really easy to clip into on the mtb...but it's definitely an
art form on the roadie. Once I clip in THAT'S IT! I don't unclip for
anything! ANYTHING!

Old November 11th 04, 06:08 AM
chestie

"DJ" writes:

One things I'd like to ask the more cluey people here is, why do they call
the set-up where you have a metal cleat on the bottom of your shoe that
clips into a locked set-up on the pedal, CLIPLESS? I would have thought the
opposite, it makes sense to me that you clip it in and you are
locked/clipped onto the pedal yet they call it clipless......mmmmmm!!

It's mainly to confuse people new to the sport. Probably makes perfect
sense to the vets.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ca-m.html#clipless

Adam at the CMBS told me to first go home and slip in/out at least 20 times
with both feet to get the feeling of it, but i was in too much of a hurry to
try out this new/strange system and went riding with my feet fixed nicely to
the pedals and noticing a major difference in the transfer of power to the
pedals than before with just my joggers, i couldn't beleive there was such a
major difference and feel but it was all good and didn't feel that it was
too peculiar and already i have no problem clipping and unclipping although
just getting used to clipping in without actually looking down i know will
take some time....but hey.....i think i can adapt to this very well....i
guess only time will tell or the first emergency stop hehehe.....

My new bike came with clipless pedals, so far I haven't fallen, but I
have forgotten about them a few times. Once when my flasher hit the
deck, stopped quick and tried to jump off without remembering to
unclip, no fall, thankfully. The other time I tried to get too cute
trying to avoid unclipping by riding as slow as I could. I didn't feel
confident, so I unclipped my left foot while crawling along, this
cause me to start falling to the right, I managed to unclip the right
foot just in time. Apparently this is a common occurrence since I was
warned about it by the LBS. I think what I do now if I need to unclip
while going slow is to is steer to the right a little as I unclip my
left foot.

Old November 11th 04, 06:18 AM
Tamyka Bell

DJ wrote:

Today I went Clipless for the first time....yep folks.......I invested in a
nice Shimano SPD set of shoes and pedals .....dunno the model but clipless
one side ordinary pedal on the other side.

snip

someone sounds very, very excited. i found myself reading faster and
faster...

Old November 11th 04, 06:33 AM
Bikesoiler

DJ Wrote:
[...]

Something you could try to help your confidence with the new pedals.
Go to a quiet park with lots of nice soft grass & ride around in
circles or figure 8's while clipping in & out of your pedals.
If you fall it won't hurt much. You can even practice falling if you
like. Once you have fallen (on nice soft grass preferably) you've done
it & don't have to worry about doing it again. Like on the road, in
traffic, in front of plenty of witnesses.....

--
Bikesoiler

Old November 11th 04, 07:46 AM
DJ

Something you could try to help your confidence with the new pedals.
Go to a quiet park with lots of nice soft grass & ride around in
circles or figure 8's while clipping in & out of your pedals.
If you fall it won't hurt much. You can even practice falling if you
like. Once you have fallen (on nice soft grass preferably) you've done
it & don't have to worry about doing it again. Like on the road, in
traffic, in front of plenty of witnesses.....

--
Bikesoiler

Yeah, I've done that on a previous repco racer with those stupid clip pedals
(straps) and was taking a shortcut through a highschool, I went to jump a
path and steer onto in but the bloody front wheel got stuck in a rut at the
side of the path and down i went like a bag of you know what, on my left
side, still strapped into the pedals trying to work myself loose, I had skin
off my leg and elbow and lost some money I had in my top shirt pocket
(bugger, that was for a bottle of gatorade later).

It wouldn't have been too bad if i was on my own but it happened right in
front of a group of giggly schoolgirls who actually did ask if i was
ok...."yeah yeah, i think I'm ok, just my pride is injured that's all"!!
How embarrassing!!

Dave J.

Old November 11th 04, 07:49 AM
Stuart Lamble

On 2004-11-11, DJ wrote:
Today I went Clipless for the first time....yep folks.......I invested in a
nice Shimano SPD set of shoes and pedals .....dunno the model but clipless
one side ordinary pedal on the other side.

*applauds*

One things I'd like to ask the more cluey people here is, why do they call
the set-up where you have a metal cleat on the bottom of your shoe that
clips into a locked set-up on the pedal, CLIPLESS? I would have thought the
opposite, it makes sense to me that you clip it in and you are
locked/clipped onto the pedal yet they call it clipless......mmmmmm!!

Probably more of an explanation than you want, but anyway. :-)

The base level is to just have the pedal, nothing else. Nothing special
to keep your foot on the pedal, let alone in the best position for
pedalling. It does the job, but you lose out on the upstroke.

The next level up is to have toe clips, which hold your foot in place.
It gives you a bit more power on the upstroke than not having anything
on the pedal (well, _any_ power on the upstroke is more than your bog
standard pedal will give you :-), but it's still a little sub-optimal.

The final level is "clipless" pedals -- so called because you don't have
any toe clips. They'll give you more power than anything else you're
likely to find, because your feet are locked into place; the only way
they're moving out of position is if you pull them out of the shoe.

take some time....but hey.....i think i can adapt to this very well....i
guess only time will tell or the first emergency stop hehehe.....

I still remember the first time I had to stop suddenly after I got my
clipless pedals. Trying to get my foot to the side to brace myself, and
it just wouldn't move. There I sat, with a rather dumbfounded look on my
face, as I slowly and gracefully slid down to the left side...

Fortunately, I didn't suffer anything worse than bruises and damaged
pride. :-)

Old November 11th 04, 08:51 AM
NickZX6R

Unregistered wrote:
"jazmo" wrote in message

DJ Wrote:

[...]

I find Look cleats are much easier to get in and out of than SPDs.

--
Nick

Clipless pedals Mikefule Unicycling 27 September 10th 05 07:00 AM
Which CHEAP clipless pedals? Bill H. General 13 March 13th 05 02:24 AM
Advice please: newbies and clipless pedals Monique Y. Herman Mountain Biking 43 November 19th 03 10:42 PM
Clipless pedals: lets beat a dead horse... Destroy Mountain Biking 19 August 13th 03 06:35 PM