Bonking and food for a ride

Old July 18th 03, 09:16 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Bonking and food for a ride

On 18 Jul 2003 07:21:33 -0700, Claire Petersky wrote:
oatmeal and a tub of yogurt. Simply a bowl of rice krispies or other
breakfast cereal that's only simple carbs is not going to sufficiently
sustain you. You'll burn all that off pretty fast, and there's nothing
there to keep you going for the long haul.

I have to say, on Saturdays, I stuff myself full of Rice Krispies and whole
milk 1 to 2 hours before I ride, and not only to I ride strong for 4 hours
or so, but I'm not very hungry afterwards. I'd say, half a box (10z or so)
of Rice Krispies, and as much as a quart of milk.

Then, I drink Gu2o for the whole ride, rather than plain water; that must
help...although if it's too hot, even the very light flavor of Gu2o is too
much for me.

This is in contrast to normal, non-biking days, where I eat the same amount
of Rice Krispies, but earlier (6:30am instead of 8am), and I starve from
10:00am until lunch [large portions of calorie-dense foods]; then I'm
starving again at 5pm.

I think I have some sort of metabolism problem. However, biking somehow
seems to put my body into proper order -- the same breakfast of mass
quantities of Rice Krispies, followed by Gu2o in moderate quantities, and
I'm barely hungry the rest of the day. Maybe it's the Gu2o...hmm...new
diet? Naw, gotta have my frozen pizza!

--
Rick Onanian
Old July 19th 03, 03:33 AM
Dan Musicant

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:13:45 -0400, Sandy Christmus
wrote:

:OK, I know it's not a huge ride for some of you all, but I took a 36
:mile ride this morning. The temp was in the 80's by the end of the ride
9-11AM). It's my longest ride since I started riding about 4 months
:ago. The last 3 miles or so weren't pretty. I didn't break down crying
n the side of the road, but I sure coasted a lot and VERY slowly made
:it up a hill I usually take at about 15-16mph. I think I bonked, I'm
:not quite sure. My question is: Should I have taken along food for
:this length ride? I drank lots of water, but no electrolyte
:replacement. Should I have replaced my 'lytes? I had bowl of cereal
:for breakfast which contained about 30g of carbohydrates. Maybe
:mistakenly, I thought that was enough.
:
:What should I do in the future to help me make a ride of this length.
: Am I just not ready for this ride, yet?
:
:Thanks for the help.
:
:Sandy

I started riding a lot again recently - around 2-3 months ago, daily 12
milers with 1000 foot elevation. I used to do 50 milers occasionally.
What I've found recently is that I have a lot more power up the hill
(1000 feet, as I say) if I've had a decent meal. If I'm anywhere near
hungry, I can only go 90% as fast.

I'd advise taking some food along. You may not need it but if it turns
out you do, you will be glad. I take a trail mix always.

Sounds like you needed to have some nuitrition.

Dan
Old July 19th 03, 05:48 AM
JerZ Fox

Sandy: 36 miles is a pretty substantial ride, especially if you don't have
adequate nutrition to carry you.

I personally like Accelerade (no, I don't own stock in them). It's a flavored
carb-protein powder which you mix with water. Also, gel packs are good. And
finding a good deli or pizza place as someone else mentioned adds to the fun!

Diana B., LPN
Diva Nurse

The JerZ Fox

Money doesn't buy happiness.
Poverty doesn't buy anything.
Old July 19th 03, 06:15 PM
Peter Cole

"Sandy Christmus" wrote in message
OK, I know it's not a huge ride for some of you all, but I took a 36
mile ride this morning. The temp was in the 80's by the end of the ride
(9-11AM). It's my longest ride since I started riding about 4 months
ago. The last 3 miles or so weren't pretty. I didn't break down crying
on the side of the road, but I sure coasted a lot and VERY slowly made
it up a hill I usually take at about 15-16mph. I think I bonked, I'm
not quite sure. My question is: Should I have taken along food for
this length ride?

I think you just got tired. Typically, people carry about 2,000 cal of stored
glycogen in their muscles and liver. How many calories/mile you burn is very
dependent on speed and terrain. It's unlikely that you could sustain any where
near the caloric burn rate that would bonk you in 36 miles.

I drank lots of water, but no electrolyte
replacement. Should I have replaced my 'lytes?

No. The only "electrolyte" that can become depleted is sodium (salt). This
takes many hours (over 8-12) of heavy sweating.

I had bowl of cereal
for breakfast which contained about 30g of carbohydrates. Maybe
mistakenly, I thought that was enough.

It was more than enough.

What should I do in the future to help me make a ride of this length.
Am I just not ready for this ride, yet?

Ride more, ride longer.

Old July 19th 03, 07:44 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
writes:

I used to use the ride around the lake as an excuse to visit the bakery.
Now I use the bakery as an excuse to take the ride around the lake. I'm
not quite sure when my priorities switched on that.

Ah, the old chicken & egg enigma - ride to eat, or eat to ride.
Either way is pretty good. After all, both riding and eating
are pleasures; might as well combine 'em.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 19th 03, 11:09 PM
Gary Smiley

We did a mini-tour to Montreal in May. Check out the pictures- most of them
are pictures food-
http://www.crw.org/gallery/MDDM2003/Index.htm

Old July 19th 03, 11:13 PM
Gary Smiley

I've checked out GU but it costs around a dollar an ounce, or sixteen dollars a
pound.
I've thought of using honey as a cheaper (and more natural) alternative.

Rivermist wrote:

I think we all have a bad day out there now and then and sometimes it is
hard to figure out why. My point is, whether eating would have helped is
hard to say.

However, on the subject of eating, in a race I usually eat one of the gel
packs every half hour on the bike. When training I usually do one every
hour.

I eat the GU brand (vanilla), and I like the taste a lot, so they serve as a
reward for myself as much as anything else.

Old July 20th 03, 02:33 AM
David Kerber

In article , Kevan Smith
/\/\ says...
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:13:34 GMT, Gary Smiley from
Comcast Online wrote:

I've checked out GU but it costs around a dollar an ounce, or sixteen dollars a
pound.
I've thought of using honey as a cheaper (and more natural) alternative.

Honey is mostly plain sugar -- might as well have a Snickers.

Yeah; you'll also get some protein and fats with it, which are also
necessary.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old July 20th 03, 03:56 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Gary Smiley writes:
We did a mini-tour to Montreal in May. Check out the pictures- most of them
are pictures food-
http://www.crw.org/gallery/MDDM2003/Index.htm

mmmmm, napoleon.

If I ever do a trans-Canada trip, I'll have to find out
who does the best corned beef -- Winnipeg or Montreal.
I've had samples of both kinds here in Vancouver, but I
don't think it's the same as getting it at the source.
My bet's on Montreal. Or maybe they're each as good as
the other, each in it's own way?

cheers,
Tom

Old July 20th 03, 04:00 AM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:33:57 -0400,
, David Kerber

Comcast Online wrote:

I've checked out GU but it costs around a dollar an ounce, or sixteen dollars a
pound.
I've thought of using honey as a cheaper (and more natural) alternative.

Honey is mostly plain sugar -- might as well have a Snickers.

Yeah; you'll also get some protein and fats with it, which are also
necessary.

Not in sufficient quantities to really make an issue of it unless
you're selling honey. There are scientific studies paid for by
national honey boards that claim honey is better than a placebo and as
good or better than commercial gooey shots for providing energy with
fewer GI complaints.

Spoon for spoon, honey contains more calories than sugar and does not
induce hypoglycemia

It contains a variety of vitamins, minerals and amino acids, including
antioxidants. In addition, honey has anti-inflammatory and
antimicrobial effects.

Honey is also perhaps the only carbohydrate food that does not promote
tooth decay through acidity.

http://www.nhb.org/research/index.html#athletics

Honey is better for other reasons they'll tell you too but I don't
need to be convinced. Honey is real food locally produced while gooey
snacks are what?
--
zk