Should I wear a helmet?

Old November 26th 03, 11:53 AM
Dave Kahn

Default OT: anti-spam tactics

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message news:zaVwb.233010$ao4.835665@attbi_s51...

This is why I have continued with mouse-potato.com -- the address is set up
such that it never leaves the machine from which the spam is sent.

The IANA has actually reserved a few second level domain names that
are guaranteed to be invalid. Mail sent to example.com, example.net
and example.org will go nowhere.

I use the Yahoo address for posting to Usenet as it can be thrown away
if it becomes unusable. It's getting close to that now. Although I
monitor it from time to time and do get some genuine e-mail on it the
inbox currently overflows within about 6 hours.

My every-day e-mail address gets about 100 spams a day. I tried a 90
day trial of Spam Sleuth which worked reasonably well. About 10 spams
a day would get through, which I'd forward to SpamCop. I probably
should have played more with the Bayesian analysis tool. I may have a
play with some of the freeware before deciding whether or not to part
with money for Spam Sleuth.

--
Dave...
Old November 26th 03, 09:25 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
[sigh] Yeah. Hey, at least Congress doesn't seem to be trying to
pass any laws about bikes at the moment. Let's hope it stays that
way.

What? You didn't hear about the coming seatbelt requirement?
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 27th 03, 02:25 AM
frkrygowHALTSPAM

Default Should I wear a helmet?

Carl Fogel wrote:

What seems fishy? That lots of people write in and
disagree with a few--well, let's call them overconfident
rec.bicycles.tech posters? "Overconfident" sounds better
than paranoid.

There may be people on the list who posted under fake
names, but where's any evidence? Where's any plausible
motive? Who is organizing this conspiracy? Pick a name
on the list and explain how the post connected from it
differs in any important way from yours or Chalo's posts.

Carl, I though you said you were an English teacher.

Although my field is much different, I can often spot cheating this way:
when two or more students turn in work with the same weird mistake.

I think this is what we've seen from Cyclingforums. Not every post,
true, but _many_ of the posts had the same poor command of English. For
example, are you claiming Cyclingforums has a bug that somehow prohibits
the use of paragraphs?

I'll concede that the duplicated "logic" ("I know a guy who rode dumb
and hit his head,so _everybody_ should _always_ wear a helment") could
result from a sort of chain-reaction inspiration ("Hey, I know a dumb
guy too!"). But even if someone were inspired to copy the logic, why
would they copy the deficient writing style? Why would they punctuate
badly in the same ways?

Last year, two of my students turned in almost perfectly identical
computer programs, line by line. They claimed it was coincidence. I
didn't buy that story, either.

Frank's last post suggested that
he was still living in 1994, when rec.bicycles.tech
may well have dwarfed cycling forums.

You've just made it clear that you didn't grasp the point of my story.

--
Frank Krygowski

Old November 27th 03, 06:03 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Rick Onanian wrote:

Carl, I'm _beginning_ to believe that I _may_ have been mistaken.
Between that example and your earlier suggestion that this thread
would rank high _and_ be seen first by a new user _and_ make such a
user want to reply _and_ make them want to overexcite their story
_and_ CF gets schittloads of new users...

Hey, what's with you guys?

I'm not Benjamin Weiner.
I'm not Carl Fogel either.

:P

Are you Fabrizio Mazzoleni? Because someone has to be him...

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old November 27th 03, 06:46 AM
Carl Fogel

"frkrygowHALTSPAM" wrote in message ...
Carl Fogel wrote:

[...]

Dear Frank,

Please name the "many" people and posts that you
are accusing of dishonesty, fraud, and cheating.

Or please explain why you and others in this
thread are unwilling to do this.

Would you accuse "many" of your computer students
of cheating and then provide no shred of evidence
when challenged?

You are making it increasingly clear that something
prevents you from producing evidence.

Carl Fogel
Old November 27th 03, 09:18 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article ,
Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Rick Onanian wrote:

Carl, I'm _beginning_ to believe that I _may_ have been mistaken.
Between that example and your earlier suggestion that this thread
would rank high _and_ be seen first by a new user _and_ make such a
user want to reply _and_ make them want to overexcite their story
_and_ CF gets schittloads of new users...

Hey, what's with you guys?

I'm not Benjamin Weiner.
I'm not Carl Fogel either.

:P

Are you Fabrizio Mazzoleni? Because someone has to be him...

I thought that was david reuteler. Or was it David Damerell? I'm so
confused.

I'm pretty sure I'm not Fabs. Not only do I have a Brooks saddle and bar
end shifters, but I think they look cool and stylish. I even have homemade
mud flaps.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent.
-- Walt Kelly
Old November 27th 03, 03:22 PM
Jim Adney

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 04:01:26 GMT Werehatrack
wrote:

[sigh] Yeah. Hey, at least Congress doesn't seem to be trying to
pass any laws about bikes at the moment. Let's hope it stays that
way.

Haven't you realized how many bikes are used in third world countries?
Clearly this makes them the transportation of choice for terrorists
around the world. Thank goodness the Dept of Homeland Security is now
aware of this and is taking steps to eliminate this hazard.

I understand that soon the only allowed domestic form of
transportation will be the SUV, with select traffic lanes set aside
for those with the lowest gas mileage.

Bush has already declared that not burning your allotment of Texas
crude each day is un-American and could be considered treasonous.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old November 27th 03, 03:40 PM
David Damerell

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
I thought that was david reuteler. Or was it David Damerell? I'm so
confused.
I'm pretty sure I'm not Fabs. Not only do I have a Brooks saddle and bar
end shifters, but I think they look cool and stylish. I even have homemade
mud flaps.

So do I, cut out of a plastic milk carton, so I suspect I'm not Fabs
either.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Old November 27th 03, 04:12 PM
Carl Fogel

Ryan Cousineau wrote in message ...
In article ,
Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Rick Onanian wrote:

Carl, I'm _beginning_ to believe that I _may_ have been mistaken.
Between that example and your earlier suggestion that this thread
would rank high _and_ be seen first by a new user _and_ make such a
user want to reply _and_ make them want to overexcite their story
_and_ CF gets schittloads of new users...

Hey, what's with you guys?

I'm not Benjamin Weiner.
I'm not Carl Fogel either.

:P

Are you Fabrizio Mazzoleni? Because someone has to be him...

Dear Ryan,

As has been thoroughly explained on numerous
web sites, William Shakespeare wrote the posts of
Fabrizio Mazzoleni, shortly after his death in 1616.

All surviving signatures have been compared and are
unquestionably identical.

Quibbles that the word "bicycle" does not appear in
the canon are unworthy of comment.

Shakespeare himself admitted authorship in a
well-concealed cipher in the lost play "Cardenio,"
where one character might have said either,
"Coz, I know" or "'Cause I know" (the texts vary).

This is an obvious anagram for Chalo Krygowski and
mirrors the current logic and evidence concerning
other signatures perfectly.

Christopher Marlowe
Old November 27th 03, 04:25 PM
frkrygowHALTSPAM

Carl Fogel wrote:

Dear Frank,

Please name the "many" people and posts that you
are accusing of dishonesty, fraud, and cheating.

Or please explain why you and others in this
thread are unwilling to do this.

sigh First, because most of the posts of this thread are gone from my
newsreader.

Second, because it's not important enough to me to spend time searching
out the examples I've seen. I foolishly neglected to file the many
names of the [alleged] perpetrators.

Third, because I think few people are interested in this issue anyway.

And fourth, because I believe that no matter what evidence I provided,
you would say either: a) "That's not proof" or b) "But that's proof
only in those cases, and those are not 'many' cases."

--
Frank Krygowski