Should I wear a helmet?

Old November 29th 03, 10:19 AM
Chalo

Default Should I wear a helmet?

(Carl Fogel) wrote:

Are there any circumstances under which
you and the others would apologize to the
people whom you've called liars, frauds,
and cheats?

As I've noted elsewhere, some searching from within the benighted
walls of cyclingforums yielded me enough results to assume the
following personae are something other than totally imaginary:

"CannondaleRider"
"byron27"
"jonnyb"
"jmitting",
"ejdoo"
"Alfaro"
"bill1591"
"Tuschinski"

I don't assume anything about the above user IDs except that they were
not concocted expressly to debut in this thread.

OTOH I found nothing to indicate that any of the following personae
are anything other than rhetorical contrivances, freshly minted so
that they could participate he

"augustacycling"
"jasonaut"
"theallanfamily"
"jharte"
"chaffsk"
"martynspeck"

They might in fact be actual participants, but the weight of the
evidence I could find (that is, none outside this thread) suggests
otherwise. I'm not convinced one way or the other, but at this point
they look to me like shoots sprung from the same rhizome, if you will.

What I am convinced of at this point is that cyclingforums is not
sufficiently well-managed to participate decently in r.b.t, and that
they should not cross-post to Usenet.

Do I feel compelled to issue apologies to anybody whom I might have
implied were participating on a less-than-honest basis? No, not
really. Whether or not is was particularly their intention, they did
barge in here without precedent-- all the while looking, walking, and
quacking like ducks, if you will.

Chalo Colina
"strutting and gobbling like a real r.b.t turkey since 1995"
Old November 29th 03, 07:54 PM
Carl Fogel

(Chalo) wrote in message . com...
(Carl Fogel) wrote:

[...]

Dear Chalo,

So the first time that anyone posts and
disagrees with you, they must be presumed
to be liars, cheats, and frauds?

Were you a liar, cheat, and fraud when
you first posted in 1994?

Was I a liar, cheat, and fraud when I
first posted from cycling forums a few
days ago and disagreed with you?

What's the difference between you calling
new posters vile names and accusing them
of being liars, frauds, and cheats in
order to discourage them from posting
pro-helmet, and the astro-turf campaign
that you accuse them of waging?

What's this nonsense about "sufficiently
well-managed"? They have a moderator,
unlike rec.bicycles.tech, which has none.

What's this mealy-mouthed "I might have
implied" and "less-than-honest basis"?
Apparently, I was mistaken when I said
elsewhere that whatever you were going
to say, you wouldn't wriggle.

As for the terrible rudeness of people
daring to "barge in" and post here and
hurt your fair-minded little feelings,
here's your entire first post on the matter:

(Trent Piepho) wrote:

This is smelling more and more like an astro-turf campaign.

All these cyclingforums posts are probably from some firm doing "viral
marketing" on the behalf of bell sports.

You ain't kidding. I had heard of those dirty *******s, but I think
you are right that they are now in our midst.

I think the weasels at bell sports should be locked into their stupid
hats 24/7 until they perish of athlete's head.

Chalo Colina

That's what you really think, Chalo--why
are you hiding it now?

What does it say about your credibility?

Carl Fogel
Old November 29th 03, 10:17 PM
Rick Onanian

On 29 Nov 2003 02:19:54 -0800, (Chalo)
wrote:
Chalo Colina
"strutting and gobbling like a real r.b.t turkey since 1995"

rec.bike.turkeys?
--
Rick Onanian
Old November 30th 03, 07:56 PM
Carl Fogel

A Muzi wrote in message ...
(Chalo) wrote in message . com...

-snip-
OTOH I found nothing to indicate that any of the following personae
are anything other than rhetorical contrivances, freshly minted so
that they could participate he
"augustacycling"
"jasonaut"
"theallanfamily"
"jharte"
"chaffsk"
"martynspeck"
They might in fact be actual participants, but the weight of the
evidence I could find (that is, none outside this thread) suggests
otherwise. I'm not convinced one way or the other, but at this point
they look to me like shoots sprung from the same rhizome, if you will.

-snip-
quote of earlier posts:

Chalo Colina:You ain't kidding. I had heard of those dirty *******s, but I think

Carl Fogel wrote:
That's what you really think, Chalo--why
are you hiding it now?

What does it say about your credibility?

I for one still think that 'viral marjeting' is a reasonable
explanation of the suspect posts. Chalo's credibility
appears intact from here.

Dear Andrew,

I think that where we disagree is on whether it
is a reasonable or possible but completely unproven
explanation.

Chalo is now shuffling and boasting of his bigotry.

First, he told us that people from cycling forums
were liars and cheats and frauds because they disagreed
with him and "barged in," as he later put, where their
kind isn't wanted, "the dirty *******s."

Only after that did he look for evidence.

Unsurprisingly, he made a jackass of himself, given
his obvious prejudice. He found some screwed-up
signatures and spat and snarled at everyone involved
that this proved that they were liars and frauds and
cheats. The explanation, of course, was that there
was a clearly visible bug--cycling forum posts without
signatures erratically pick up signatures still lying
in buffers when they appear in rec.bicycles.tech.
Examples of such bugs appeared at different times in
different threads and obviously have nothing to do
with who's posting them--I listed half a dozen examples
in the signature bug thread. A number of them attached
Dave Ornee's signature, probably because he posts often
in this area.

Chalo also made a jackass of himself because he was
unfamiliar with how internal cycling forums posts are
invisible to outside searches. Many of the posters
turned out to be posting frequently in cycling forums.
I listed over 70 of them and their post counts.

Other posters from cycling forums will not turn up
even internally, now that the sole thread to which
they posted (and were greeted with a bucket of ****
in their faces by the friendly rec.bicycles.tech
bigots) has been removed from cycling forums.

Interestingly, cycling forums marks posts from
other places like rec.bicycles.tech as coming from
"guests"--rather courteous of them.

Anyway, given Chalo's approach of calling names first,
leaping to asinine conclusions about a signature bug,
and doing a half-assed inquiry later to justify himself,
do you think that any of the 25,000+ cycling forums would
give him much credibility?

You and I have both made jackasses of ourselves here
in rec.bicycles.tech and will undoubtedly do so again.
You've shown that you have the character to apologize,
which gives you enormous credibility.

Consider a computer class taught by Frank Krygowski
with Chalo enrolled. A number of Nigerian students
apply to take the class and disagree with Frank and
Chalo that the C programming language is the best
way to write programs.

Those dirty *******s, barging in here--how dare they!
It must be a viral marketing campaign from Microsoft!
We've both been doing this since 1994! They have a
poor command of English! They're simple-minded and
so are their arguments! Isn't it suspicious that they
all suddenly flood in here, talking about how Visual
Basic is so good! Nigerians are all known to write scam
letters! They've never tried to enroll all at once before
like this! I once caught two students cheating in another
class! Their student ID cards have something that looks
funny! Oh, the registrar screwed up? Well, never mind,
they're still liars, cheats, and frauds--no one could
honestly prefer Visual Basic! And now the Nigerian
government won't pay for them to enroll in this class!
And the Nigerian government won't answer our questions
now or even talk to us! I can't find a few of them after
I spat in their faces, so they must all be liars, frauds,
and cheats! And neither of us is a racist bigot because
it's all possible! And where did I ever call them liars,
cheats, and frauds--I've lost my records, it isn't important,
no one cares, and you'd better be specific when you accuse
me!

Substitute helmets for programming and cycling forums
for Nigeria, and that's a fair description of their
arguments in the helmet thread. All I did was summarize
their drivel, point by point.

Why, you and I can recall one cycling forum poster being
accused of being a fraud because he wasn't curt enough
to be a credible police officer--but you had the grace
to take a second look at what you were saying, decided
that your accusation was unfair, and said so.

Note that Chalo is concerned about being "compelled"
to apologize. No apology worth making is compelled.
(Does anyone think that I can "compel" Andrew Muzi
to apologize by tapping on a keyboard?)

It's a question of admitting that you wronged someone
and wish that you hadn't. Whether there was a "viral
marketing campaign" is not really the question. What
matters is how we act and how we treat other posters.
We can all afford arrogance and nastiness. Unfortunately,
character and courtesy are more expensive.

Again, I hope that I'll be able to imitate your
behavior on the inevitable day when I hear that loud
popping noise as my head comes out of my ass again
and I realize that I've behaved shamefully and owe
people an apology.

I'm afraid that it's getting harder and harder for
Frank and Chalo to do that. It has nothing to do with
helmets, or even whether someone might have lied. Of
course there "may" have been a fraud--but there's no
doubt about who has been acting like a pack of vicious
bigots.

Carl Fogel
Old November 30th 03, 08:24 PM
Chalo

(Carl Fogel) wrote:

(Chalo) wrote:

I think the weasels at bell sports should be locked into their stupid
hats 24/7 until they perish of athlete's head.

That's what you really think, Chalo--why
are you hiding it now?

I've not changed my mind about the weasels at Bell Sports-- only about
my previous supposition that the entire anonymous flock from
cyclingforums were acting on their behalf.

When this thread started, there had not been enough volume of postings
here from cyclingforums.com for me to have taken note of that domain.

So when folks from there began piling into this thread by the baker's
dozen, without any history on Usenet, sporting obviously forged sigs,
just to say what had already been said scores of times, why was it
unreasonable of me to assume them to be frauds? Those of us who have
continued to follow this thread now recognize that most of the clues
by which the questionable participants can be judged fraudulent are
due to the idiosyncrasies of the cyclingforums user and Usenet
interfaces.

When I say that cyclingforums is not sufficiently well-managed to be
cross-posted here, I am referring to the fact that it is not feasibly
possible, using their user interface, to determine what points have
already been addressed in a large thread, or to maintain any
reasonable order to the discussion beyond direct replies to the OP.
Anybody using a newsreader or Deja-Google can do better than that, and
already expects better than that from newsgroups that have developed
communities around them, such as r.b.t.

Chalo Colina
Old December 1st 03, 06:24 PM
Carl Fogel

(Chalo) wrote in message . com...
(Carl Fogel) wrote:

(Chalo) wrote:

[...]

It don't wash, buddy. If you ever wanted any credibility
in this thread, you managed to choose exactly the way to
undermine it completely. That, however, is no coincidence.
Anybody who believes your crap probably answers those emailed
money-making opportunities from Nigeria too.

Just get out of here. We don't need you stinking up the
place with your deceit.

(In case you don't remember, that's actually a quote from
one of your typical posts before you began to wriggle.
This is what you're proud of? You owe no apology to the
cycling forum posters for this and the rest of your behavior?)

Carl Fogel
Old December 2nd 03, 02:59 AM
frkrygow

Carl Fogel wrote:

Dear Frank,

Here's the rest of your post, since you seem
to be wriggling:

Carl, I though you said you were an English teacher.

Although my field is much different, I can often spot
cheating this way: when two or more students turn in
work with the same weird mistake.

I think this is what we've seen from Cyclingforums.
Not every post, true, but _many_ of the posts had
the same poor command of English. For example, are
you claiming Cyclingforums has a bug that somehow
prohibits the use of paragraphs?

I'll concede that the duplicated "logic" ("I know a
guy who rode dumb and hit his head, so _everybody_
should _always_ wear a helment") could result from a
sort of chain-reaction inspiration ("Hey, I know a dumb
guy too!"). But even if someone were inspired to copy
the logic, why would they copy the deficient writing
style? Why would they punctuate badly in the same ways?

Last year, two of my students turned in almost perfectly
identical computer programs, line by line. They claimed
it was coincidence. I didn't buy that story, either.

Are you really claiming that this does not accuse "_many_
of the posts" of being liars, frauds, and cheats? What did
you mean when you likened the cycling forums posts to a pair
of students who turned in identical programs and you didn't
buy their story that it was coincidence?

Carl, I was, and am, suspicious that many of those posts were not
genuine. I realize that you are completely convinced that each and
every one was posted by a unique helmet missionary, but I am not.

No, I can't prove that some posts were "sockpuppets" (a term I never
heard until this discussion); but IMO, you have not proven that none of
them were. What we're left with is a discussion about suspicions.

When I stated my suspicions, and I explained them with suitable care.
You may disagree, but I suspect you and I disagree on other matters as
well - for example, on whether you are the final arbiter of Usenet
etiquette.

However, in my book, a suspicion is not an accusation; and I've seen no
evidence that anyone feels I've somehow wronged them. If someone feels
that way, I assume they'll let me know without hiring you as a verbose
intermediary.

Here's what you wrote on November 6th:

I realize that post came from cyclingforums,
and is therefore almost certainly another
sockpuppet example.

What did you mean to imply if not that the
post was written by a fraud, liar, or cheat?
If you want the name of the poster, please
look it up yourself through google.groups.

You apparently have a _very_ large amount of time available for Usenet
research. I have other priorities. But I'll note that your list of
Cyclingforums posters contains a rather large number that were
"conceived" since this thread started. Of those, quite a few posted
once and were gone.

Was my post, which you quoted, referring to one of them? Then it may,
indeed, have been correct speculation. Was it referring to someone
you've indicated was "real"? Then my speculation was probably in error.

If my speculation was in error, must I apologize? Again, I see no
evidence I've hurt anyone's feelings. If that changes, I'll act as I
deem appropriate. That may include an apology - but it may not. Usenet
is a tough crowd, and its customs differ from most other forums. In any
case, the matter will be between me and the offended person. You need
not be involved.

Here's what you wrote on November 23rd:

My guess is that the poorly-disguised sockpuppet
posts are not some company's conspiracy. My guess
is that they're the product of one (or a few) safety
zealots who think they're doing the world some good.

We've seen this before. A couple years ago, there
was one pro-helmet guy who had two or three accounts.
He was a regular poster, but never signed his name.
Eventually, he was caught "agreeing with" his own
posts - that is, posting a follow up from another
account saying how perceptive his previous post was.

Missionary zeal leads to some strange behavior indeed.
The lies are all white lies, in the missionary's view;
they're all for a higher cause.

If you aren't calling the cycling forums posters
liars, cheats, and frauds, what are you calling them
with your "guessing," your example of a fraud (unnamed
as with all your posts in thismatter) caught years ago
pretending to be several different people, and your talk
of "lies"?

When you say "calling the cycling forums posters liars, cheats and
frauds", you state that without qualification. I take that to mean
you're referring to _all_ such posters. You (should) know perfectly
well that my suspicions were, and are, directed at a subset of those
posts and their authors - or their author. Don't overstate your case,
weak as it is.

And yes, I have seen this behavior before. Should I post the name of
the person who was caught posting from multiple accounts and "agreeing
with" his own posts? Well, it would take me some research time to find
the name. But if I did, it seems obvious that you'd then accuse me of
slander - and probably do hours of your own web research hoping to
exonerate that person.

While it's tempting to set you on another quest, it seems to me that
exposing that person's name to further shame does no public good. I
don't believe he posts to rec.bike anymore, anyway.

In summary: I'll acknowledge that your detective work exonerated some
apparent sockpuppets. Others remain suspicious. Stating that they
remain suspicious is not equivalent to the offenses you wrongly accuse
me of - "calling someone a fraud, liar, or cheat."

And if anyone is offended, it's a matter between them and me. You hold
no position of authority. Drop the matter.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]