RR First trip out

Old April 1st 04, 01:24 AM
Andy Mullins

Default RR First trip out

Some of you may have seen my previous post asking opinions on a bike. Well I
ended up with the Jamis Dakar Sport. This sunday I finally got the chance to
take it out for a ride. I rode the Sugar Hill trails in St Paul, VA. Nothing
tight or technical, mostly rails to trails type stuff, but gave me a chance
to try the bike out. It felt great to be out there pedaling away. A friend
of mine asked me to check on his geocache in the area. It was an easy find
and gave me a chance to check out the river. I continued down the river view
trail and found that sand can be tricky to ride in. I turned off that trail
to head up to the top of Sugar Hill. First thing I notice is how bad my
fitness level is. I was fine in the flats and downhills but climbing killed
me. When I got back to the truck I figured I had ridden about 10 miles.

Now I have a question. I noticed my fork leaked some oil. It was running
down the fork tube and made the cable guide come loose from the fork. Some
of it even got on my brake rotor. Is this a normal thing or do I have a seal
bad? One odd thing about this fork. Manitou says the Black Sport doesn't
have a rebound adjustment but my fork does have a rebound adjustment.

Old April 1st 04, 04:38 AM
miles todd

Andy Mullins wrote:
[...]

Welcome to the club. I'm glad you had a good first ride.
Take the bike back to the bike shop- no new fork should leak that much.
Have them take a look at it. As far as the fork not matching posted
specs, that's pretty common for an OEM (original equipment manufacturer)
fork. Jamis can get Manitous however they want them, if they buy
enough. The Black is a good fork, but it may well be a quality control
issue and could be easily fixed.

About the fitness- it'll come. Just keep riding. As Eddy Merckx (the
greatest bike racer of all time) said when asked about training tips:
Ride Lots.

miles

Old April 1st 04, 04:58 AM
S o r n i

miles todd wrote:

Ride Lots.

Umm, like housing developments?

Bill "sub Urban" S.

Old April 1st 04, 06:27 AM
miles todd

S o r n i wrote:
miles todd wrote:

Ride Lots.

Umm, like housing developments?

Bill "sub Urban" S.

No, silly. Empty lots.

miles

Old April 1st 04, 06:59 AM
Xtc

snip Is this a normal thing or do I have a seal
bad?

Yes you have a bad seal. You may have to change your brake pads if oil got
on your rotor. I had it happen to me and it runied a good pair hayes pads.

Old April 1st 04, 04:36 PM
ZeeExSixAre

bad? One odd thing about this fork. Manitou says the Black Sport doesn't
have a rebound adjustment but my fork does have a rebound adjustment.

You may be thinking of a compression adjustment.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 2nd 04, 01:39 AM
Andy Mullins

No the little tag that came on the fork said it only had travel and preload
adjustment. After looking on the web I see that the sport does have rebound
as well. Must just be a typo or a change made to those forks after the tags
were already printed.

"ZeeExSixAre" wrote in message
bad? One odd thing about this fork. Manitou says the Black Sport doesn't
have a rebound adjustment but my fork does have a rebound adjustment.

You may be thinking of a compression adjustment.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Customer has TDF trip available Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles General 0 July 9th 04 02:27 AM
DC -> Philadelphia trip Kaz General 5 July 2nd 04 03:46 PM
Rog's Road Trip East...2004 Roger Buchanan Mountain Biking 6 December 2nd 03 05:36 AM
RR: Another Road Trip!? [Pictorial] Paladin Mountain Biking 11 September 12th 03 06:05 PM