spokes length questions

Old December 6th 04, 05:55 PM
一速

Default spokes length questions

after using spokes calculator i find out i will need 290.8mm and
288.9mm spokes for 2 sides of rear wheel.
however, the vender only carries DT Revolution 14/17/14 DB in 290mm and
292mm

my question: would 290mm be good for both side?

another question: i needed 269.5mm for the front (radial), and the
vender carries only 268mm, can i get away with that?

thanks

Old December 6th 04, 07:59 PM
daveornee

一速 Wrote:
after using spokes calculator i find out i will need 290.8mm and
288.9mm spokes for 2 sides of rear wheel.
however, the vender only carries DT Revolution 14/17/14 DB in 290mm
and
292mm

my question: would 290mm be good for both side?

another question: i needed 269.5mm for the front (radial), and the
vender carries only 268mm, can i get away with that?

thanks

Are you planning to use Revolution spokes on the Rear Dirve Side?
Which spoke calculator gave you those numbers?
The reason I ask is that DT calculator makes some small allowances for
the additional stretch in Revolution spokes.

Based only on the facts you present, I would go 288 mm right rear and
290 mm left rear.

On the front wheel, based only on the information you gave, 268 mm will
work.

Also, remember that some nipples make a 1 mm larger effective rim
diameter than others.

--
daveornee

Old December 6th 04, 09:02 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:55:25 -0800, wrote:

after using spokes calculator i find out i will need 290.8mm and
288.9mm spokes for 2 sides of rear wheel.
however, the vender only carries DT Revolution 14/17/14 DB in 290mm and
292mm

my question: would 290mm be good for both side?

Usually, those calculations theoretically end up with the end of the spoke
at the top of the nipple. You don't want to go too far past that, since
the threads will bottom out, and the end of the spoke sticks up, sharply,
towards the tube. Not a problem until it gets close to the level of the
second wall of the rim, but...

So, it's better to go a mm or 2 short, rather than that much too long.
You'll still have plenty of threads grabbed by the nipple, and avoid these
two issues.

By the way, if you are new at wheelbuilding, as it seems you are, you
might want to reconsider the Revolutions. They are not the easiest spokes
to build with. Also, the difference in weight between those and standard
double-butted spokes is very minimal. If you do use them, be careful not
to let the spoke twist when turning the nipple. Also, read up on
stress-relieving. Read? Where? I think I heard of someone who wrote a
book about wheel building...

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.
(_)/ (_) |

Old December 7th 04, 05:29 PM
一速

dear all:

first, let me thank you for your kindness in helping out.

my original calculation was using the excel spocalc downloaded from
http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm, i am sure you guys are aware of
it

i am going for radial front, 3X both sides rear, using miche primato
large flange track hubs (front W:30/30 d:59, rear W: 45/30 d:59) matrix
ISOc 32H semiaero rims (ERD 597)

my calculated spoke length:
front 269.5mm
rear 290.8mm / 288.9mm

vender has only these in stock (DT Revolution 14/17/14 DB Spokes)
267,268
290, 292, 294 (no 288)

i have swapped rims before and also changed a rear hub once with an
expert overlooking my shoulder. but this is the first time i am doing
it from total scratch.

thanks again

Tensioning spokes by "tone" sfcommuter Techniques 96 September 21st 04 01:39 PM
Breaking Spokes Roger Zoul Techniques 90 July 13th 04 06:59 PM
Wheel Rebuilding TheObieOne3226 Unicycling 16 January 1st 04 10:55 AM