OT hub bearings

Old June 1st 05, 12:45 PM

Default OT hub bearings

Apologies for straying OT but the wheels on one of my child buggies
does /look/ like a bike wheel.

The rear wheels are mounted on a flanged stub axle (denoted by xxxx
below). The hub shell (/,\,_ and - below) is retained by a nut (N) and
thrust washer (W). There is a retaining washer (l) which sits inside
the end of the hub shell and behind which I can just see some (dry as a
bone) ball bearings (b). By smearing grease around the gap between the
axle and the retaining washer I was able to get a little into the
bearing race but i cannot see how to disassemble the bearing to repack
it. Does the panel think it is likely to be non-user serviceable (and
therefore potentially needing a new wheel or at least a new hub)? or is
there a trick I am missing. The buggy is an alurax in case anyone has
one and has doen this already

tia
james

ascii art fixed pithc font follows

|---\ /---|
\l bb\ /bb l/
lbbbb\_______________/bbbbl NNN
xxxxxxxx l bb bb lWNNN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx l bb bb lWNNN
lbbbb/---------------\bbbbl NNN
/l bb/ \bb l\
|---/ \---|

Old June 1st 05, 11:29 PM
m-gineering

" wrote:

[...]

According to your excellent graphics you should be able to pull the
wheel of the axle after undoing the nut.

Alternatively if you could succeed in drilling a small hole in the
hubshell you could repack the bearings with a greasegun
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old June 2nd 05, 12:40 AM
Rudge

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Why not pour some car engine oil or thick gearbox oil through the gap when
the wheel is on its side.

Leave it overnight on some newspaper to let the excess leak out.

Old June 2nd 05, 12:05 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 1 Jun 2005 04:45:43 -0700, "
wrote:

|---\ /---|
\l bb\ /bb l/
lbbbb\_______________/bbbbl NNN
xxxxxxxx l bb bb lWNNN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx l bb bb lWNNN
lbbbb/---------------\bbbbl NNN
/l bb/ \bb l\
|---/ \---|

And for ASCII fans everywhe

http://www.asciimation.co.nz/

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old June 3rd 05, 10:36 AM

m-gineering wrote:
" wrote:
snip how can I grease the bearings

ascii art fixed pitch font follows

|---\ /---|
\l bb\ /bb l/
lbbbb\ /bbbbl NNN
xxxxxxxx l bb | | bb lWNNN
xxxxxxxx luuuu-----------------uuuu1
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx luuuu-----------------uuuu1
xxxxxxxx l bb | | bb lWNNN
lbbbb/ \bbbbl NNN
/l bb/ \bb l\
|---/ \---|

According to your excellent graphics you should be able to pull the
wheel of the axle after undoing the nut.

Alternatively if you could succeed in drilling a small hole in the
hubshell you could repack the bearings with a greasegun

not quite excellent enough and now edited to show why removing the axle
doesn't help. uuuu is part of the bearing race seems to be tha part
that actually sits against the axle and is fixed wrt the axle. I think
the trick would be to somehow pop out the retaining washer 'l'. I will
try the engine oil or drilled grease port ideas out

thanks for the suggestions
james

Old June 3rd 05, 10:58 AM
iakobski

What exactly is the problem?

These sorts of wheels very often don't have any grease in the bearings
- after all they don't go very fast and so don't generate much heat.
The purpose of greasing bearings is not to make them slide - they're
supposed to roll not slip - it's to conduct away any excess heat. You
say you can see the bearings are dry, which would suggest there's a
gap, so if you do grease them, any grit that gets in through the gap
will stick.

Can you go to a shop and have a look to see if a brand new one has
grease in the races?

free rotating wheels? XWonka Unicycling 10 August 13th 06 03:45 AM
Bearings for Wellgo B27 Pedals lilschu Unicycling 16 April 16th 05 03:29 AM
Replacing bearings in Campy 1999 nine speed freehub [email protected] Techniques 16 October 8th 04 09:49 PM
How many bearings? Steph Peters UK 6 June 6th 04 10:52 PM
Of bushings and bearings Duncan Mountain Biking 1 March 3rd 04 01:28 PM