Simple computer with cadence and large numbers?

Old October 5th 03, 05:30 PM
Jim Martin

Default Simple computer with cadence and large numbers?

"DirtRoadie" wrote
Actually, I misspoke. An Avocet could work if it can be calibrated as
I described. However, the primary difficulty lies in the fact that
the Avocets I am familiar with use a sensor mechanism that includes a
ring that must be mounted around the axis of rotation. This is in
contrast to most other cyclometers, where the sensor is nothing more
than a combination of a magnet and a switch, and the magnet triggers
the switch once per revolution. This latter setup provides far more
flexibility in mounting. I do not claim familiarity with all Avocet
units, especially the more recent ones, so perhaps somebody else can
offer comments regarding the potential adaptability of those.

If you could describe more specifically how you hope to use the
computer, that might help keep the feedback a bit more focused. Are
you intending to actually measure cadence on a bicycle or merely
measure RPM in some broader sense?

Hi DR:

Our application is really simple. A person will pedal a cycle ergometer in
our lab and will be instructed to maintain a specified pedaling rate. We
will be measuring forces and position of the pedal but those do not give
real time display or feedback. The cadence computer will simply be there to
give the person feedback so that they can maintain the specified pedaling
rate. Right now we have an SRM on the ergometer but we want to free that up
for other uses so we want a simple cadence computer on the force pedal
ergometer.

Thanks,

Jim

---

Old October 5th 03, 10:20 PM
Gene Domenici

Echowell F-2. It displays cadence, speed (Km/MPH) and distance or average
speed or elapsed time at the same time. Big enough for an old guy like me
to see. One button operation for the techno-challenged like me. Reasonably
waterproof to boot.

Gene
Tampa, FL