shimano roadbike chainrings

Old October 5th 03, 02:07 AM
Paul Jones

Default shimano roadbike chainrings

Hello all!

I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16
speed (52,39 front,
12-21 rear) to an 18 speed Ultegra (53,39 front,
12-23 rear).

I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on
hills that steep), and
its a big jump between chainrings. A 44 tooth would
be more practical
for the riding I am doing (might actually use the
23!), even if 44 does
not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.

Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come
in? and if any
on-line bike shops have them (in Australia). So many I have typed
`chainring' into a
search and come up with nothing. Even the shimano
website couldnt tell
me. Also - are other Shimano chainrings compatible (eg. Dura-ace)

Paul

Old October 5th 03, 02:29 AM
onefred

Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come
in?

I know that there is a 42t Ultegra chainring. I also know that there exists a 50t Shimano
105 outer chainring, but I've never seen one.

Also - are other Shimano chainrings compatible (eg. Dura-ace)

I know the Dura-ace 9 speed chainrings will fit your Ultegra cranks.

Dave

Old October 5th 03, 02:54 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:07:52 +0000, Paul Jones wrote:

Hello all!

I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front,
12-21 rear) to an 18 speed Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).

I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and
its a big jump between chainrings.

You can tell the difference in the "jump"*between chainrings of a 53/39
versus a 52/39?

*A 44 tooth would be more practical
for the riding I am doing (might actually use the 23!), even if 44 does
not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.

Inner ring, or outer?

Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come in? and if any
on-line bike shops have them (in Australia). So many I have typed
`chainring' into a
search and come up with nothing. Even the shimano website couldnt tell
me. Also - are other Shimano chainrings compatible (eg. Dura-ace)

The only obstruction to "compatibility" is the diameter of the bolt
circle. Shimano are all 130. Look for that, not the model number.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
_`\(,_ | conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw
(_)/ (_) |

Old October 5th 03, 03:24 AM
Mark Wolfe

You should move to a place that has hills then.

nospam wrote:

Hello all!

I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16
speed (52,39 front,
12-21 rear) to an 18 speed Ultegra (53,39 front,
12-23 rear).

I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on
hills that steep), and
its a big jump between chainrings. A 44 tooth would
be more practical
for the riding I am doing (might actually use the
23!), even if 44 does
not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
Old October 6th 03, 08:30 PM
gwhite

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:07:52 +0000, Paul Jones wrote:

I've just recently upgraded my roadbike from a 16 speed (52,39 front,
12-21 rear) to an 18 speed Ultegra (53,39 front, 12-23 rear).

I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep), and
its a big jump between chainrings.

You can tell the difference in the "jump" between chainrings of a 53/39
versus a 52/39?

He didn't even begin to say that. He just said the jump is big, which it is.

A 44 tooth would be more practical
for the riding I am doing (might actually use the 23!), even if 44 does
not exist, a 42 would still be an improvement.

44t tooth rings are available for 130 BCD. See

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#130

Inner ring, or outer?

Why not stop and think for a moment? If he says if he might even use his 23
(his biggest cog) with a 44t, then he is obviously talking inner ring.

Old October 6th 03, 08:48 PM
Marten Hoffmann

Paul Jones schreef ...

Does anyone know what size Ultegra chainrings come
in? and if any
on-line bike shops have them (in Australia). So many I have typed
`chainring' into a
search and come up with nothing. Even the shimano
website couldnt tell
me. Also - are other Shimano chainrings compatible (eg. Dura-ace)

You'd better find someone who stocks TA chainrings: they're better (as
in: more durable) and far cheaper than Shimanos. And they come in almost
*every* conceivable size, which is not the case with the Big S. Take a
look at http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp, in the "130 mm"
section.

--
Regards,
Marten
Old October 6th 03, 10:15 PM
David Reuteler

Marten Hoffmann wrote:
: You'd better find someone who stocks TA chainrings: they're better (as
: in: more durable) and far cheaper than Shimanos. And they come in almost
: *every* conceivable size, which is not the case with the Big S. Take a
: look at http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp, in the "130 mm"
: section.

http://www.xxcycle.com/

select chainrings, specialites ta from browse, hit go and look for
"Alize" which are 130bcd.

here it helps to speak a little french (or not be an idiot, actually).
where it says "Alize 42/46-2" the 42/46 means 42 to 46 and the -2 means
"intermediare" or middle chainring. -1 is interior (double or triple) and
-3 is exterior. the colours are red, black, blue and silver. most rings
are $28 to $32.

i've bought chainrings from them a couple of times. they aren't all that
fast but they have a good stock of colours and sizes. and shipping from
france is reasonable.
--
david reuteler

Old October 7th 03, 02:16 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:30:59 +0000, gwhite wrote:

I'm finding that the 23 is useless (never ride on hills that steep),
and its a big jump between chainrings.

You can tell the difference in the "jump" between chainrings of a 53/39
versus a 52/39?

He didn't even begin to say that. He just said the jump is big, which it
is.

Well, he was used to the 52/39, and now complains about how big the 53/39
jump is...

--

David L. Johnson

__o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
_`\(,_ | certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
(_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein