Mavic MA2 Rim Info -- Maximum Tire Width?

Old October 29th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

Default Mavic MA2 Rim Info -- Maximum Tire Width?

On Oct 29, 11:57 am, wrote:
On Oct 29, 10:02 am, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
In what ways is the MA2 "a great rim"? They are surely "adequate",
even "above average for their time" (n.b., "for their time") - but
"great"???

Current rim is of unknown age, single walled, 27", and has a freewheel
hub with a slight bit of rust on it.

The only advantage it has is 36 spokes vs 32 spokes on the Mavic and
the braking surface of the rim is in slightly better condition.

I'm not questioning your choice of using an MA2. In fact, I still run
a pair of 36H MA2s myself. They are entirely adequate, even kinda
nice.

I *am* disputing McNamara's contention that "the MA2 is a great rim,
one of the best ever made". That, IMO, is pure hogwash.

I'd rather buy a new wheel in the spring or summer and let the winter
ruin the old rim.

Of course, there are a group of fools paying big bucks for MA2s on
eBay, so you might want to consider offering it there.

Old October 29th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Oct 28, 10:05*pm, wrote:
I have an old Mavic MA2 622mm rim that I want to use for winter and
spring.

What's the maximum width of a tire that I can put on it?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to put a 32mm wide tire on it, since that
gives me an option for a studded tire on my road bike (Nokian A10).

Should work fine if the stays & seat tube have clearance.

My dad's mid-90s Novara Randonee came stock with MA40s (same
extrusion, but dark anodized) and 700x32 Avocet Cross tires.
Old October 29th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in
message
On Oct 29, 6:55 am, jim beam wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:05:21 -0700, dasunt wrote:
I have an old Mavic MA2 622mm rim that I want to use for winter
and
spring.

What's the maximum width of a tire that I can put on it?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to put a 32mm wide tire on it, since
that
gives me an option for a studded tire on my road bike (Nokian
A10).

the real question is why the ma2?

Why the MA2??? 'Cuz Jobst "the Great and Mighty" Brandt says they
are
the best rims ever made! And he's *never* wrong - just ask him! ;-)

they're not as stiff as modern rims
with a larger box section - a concern with highly dished modern
rears -
and they flat-spot more easily. the other factor is that the inner
eyelet
socket is plated steel, not stainless, and it rusts.

Heresy!!!

Well, saying that "modern rims" are better is sort of open-ended
because modern rims comprise an huge category -- from stupid light to
boat anchor rims. MA2s are/were (I am still riding on one) good
rims -- strong, straight out of the box, easy to build with eyelets
(no chasing escaped nipples around a hollow section rim) -- and still
make for a really reliable wheel. Based on my experience, they do not
crack around the spoke holes as readily as some modern, eyelet-less
rims, which means only that you have to use thread lock on the modern
rims to avoid cracking or detensioning. The sidewalls are no less
tough than an Aerohead or OpenPro, which are lighter rims. I am sure
there is some weight comparable Velocity or Sun rim that is probably
better, but the MA2 is perfectly good rim. A lot of the misty-eyed
sentimentality also comes from the fact that they were relatively
cheap. -- Jay Beattie.

Old October 30th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:24:26 -0700, Ozark Bicycle wrote:

snip
Of course, there are a group of fools paying big bucks for MA2s on eBay,
so you might want to consider offering it there.

good call!

while i'm sympathetic to the op's objective, the ultimate winter rim is
ceramic - virtually wear proof.
Old October 30th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jay Beattie wrote:

but the MA2 is perfectly good rim. *A lot of the misty-eyed
sentimentality also comes from the fact that they were relatively
cheap.

They are far better-looking than any new rim money can buy today.
That's why I used them on my wife's bike-- everything else I could get
my hands on looked too tawdry to belong on a nicely detailed lugged
road frame.

When a turd golem in a pickup truck folded her rear wheel, I replaced
the MA2 with a very similar looking, also out-of-production Torelli
Master.

Chalo
Old October 30th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Chalo wrote:

Jay Beattie wrote:

but the MA2 is perfectly good rim. *A lot of the misty-eyed
sentimentality also comes from the fact that they were relatively
cheap.

They are far better-looking than any new rim money can buy today.
That's why I used them on my wife's bike-- everything else I could
get my hands on looked too tawdry to belong on a nicely detailed
lugged road frame.

When a turd golem in a pickup truck folded her rear wheel, I replaced
the MA2 with a very similar looking, also out-of-production Torelli
Master.

The polished Sun CR-18 is a very nice looking rim, although not
socketed. I have had very good results with its immediate predecessor
the CR-16 and the CR 18; however they are wider than the MA2.
Old February 24th 16, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

What's the maximum width of a tire that I can put on it?

I run 38s on mine. No issues.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/323061...in/dateposted/