MTB pedal and road pedal

Old October 4th 03, 04:29 AM
Steve Knight

Default MTB pedal and road pedal

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:48:13 -0400, "David L. Johnson" da
I really recommend Speedplay Frogs. They are, unfortunately, not cheap,
but I find them more comfortable than Shimano cleats. I have also never
pulled out accidentally, as I did with spd.

I have regular speedplay's and they are great. but if I had to buy I would get
the frogs.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 4th 03, 04:31 AM
Steve Knight

with MTB shoes, you can walk around in them since the cleat is recessed.. so
that's a pretty good benefit if you're riding around the city and such.. you
can go into stores or whever and not walk around like frankenstein

are the shoes really stiff though like a road shoe?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 4th 03, 04:50 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:

with MTB shoes, you can walk around in them since the cleat is recessed.. so
that's a pretty good benefit if you're riding around the city and such.. you
can go into stores or whever and not walk around like frankenstein

are the shoes really stiff though like a road shoe?

You can get "MTB" (SPD-compatible) shoes in just about any stiffness you
like, from gooey commuter-baid like the famous SPD sandal, right up to
whatever it is that Shimano-sponsored XC riders wear, which I suspect
give away nothing in stiffness to any "road" (designed for non-recessed
cleats) shoe.

Yes, I know, there are recessed cleats that use their own hole pattern,
but let's not talk about them.
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old October 4th 03, 10:03 AM
Yumi

Ok, I'll try MTB pedals.
Thank you all for good suggestions.

Old October 4th 03, 12:20 PM
Tim McTeague

Steve Knight wrote:
are the shoes really stiff though like a road shoe?

I had Shimano 959s on my road bike for a while, I was going to put them on
my Mt bike but tried them first on my road bike and left them there. My
Sidi Mt bike shoes were plenty stiff but seemed to rock a bit side to side.
I doubt it had any effect on my ride but I noticed it. I finally put them
on my Klein Mantra and bought the R600 Shimano, with their R150 shoe, and
the platform felt much more stable. It seemed my foot and pedal were one
solid piece. This may be due to the carbon soled shoe but the side to side
rocking was gone. I miss the two sided pedal, and would put them back on
for any rides that involved walking. But as I seldom, if ever, walk on
rides the road pedals seem great. I started with toe clips and nail in
cleats so this still seems like progress. If you like the pedals then stop
worrying and ride.

Tim McTeague

Old October 4th 03, 01:30 PM
KinkyCowboy

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:30:58 GMT, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote in message

The only real difference (at least with SPDs) is that MTB pedals are double
sided. Double sided pedals are nice, especially in the dark! I've mixed MTB &
road pedals with MTB & road shoes in the past (SPD), no problem, but I've
stopped using road shoes & pedals entirely. I don't think there are any
benefits, other than small weight differences, and there are significant
drawbacks.

Single sided pedals are a pain, because they don't balance cleat side up like
they're supposed to. So you're always fumbling around to get into them. This
can be a real pain in traffic. Double sided MTB pedals are far more convenient,
and safer.

Also, SPD pedals do wear out. Double sided ones should last twice as long. And
because they're MTB products, they cost half as much. Seems like a much better
deal to me.

Matt O.

This looks pretty compelling - buy PD-M959 s and they're lighter than
the road pedal which is half the price anyway, PD-A515 or whatever.
They probably last even more than twice as long because you're getting
two sets of top quality coated mechanisms instead of buying two pairs
of pedals with the cheaper materials.

So the through life cost is less, they're lighter and you get the
advantage of two sided entry. Makes you wonder why anybody bothers
with single sided spd pedals at all.
Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary
Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts.
Old October 4th 03, 03:21 PM
KBH

Yumi Kobayashi writes:

Probably a stupid question.

Don't say that!

What is the difference between mountain bike pedals and road bike
pedals? I am thinking of getting clipless pedals for a road bike,
but MTB pedals seem to be cheaper in general.

Unless you are a weight weenie who counts grams differences, the MTB
pedals are all around more useful in that they are easy to get into
without fumbling around, the correct side of the pedal is always up.
With recessed cleat SPD pedals, the shoe is walkable like a normal
shoe.

Can I use MTB pedals on a road bike? It is for a casual cycling.
I don't race.

Even more so. I recommend the SH TO-92 shoe because it has smooth
flat rubber soles and doesn't have waffle-stopmper soles that track
dirt into any place you walk after walking on dirt. Take a look:

http://tinyurl.com/a822

I just converted from Look and Sidi shoes to those Shimano shoes and SPD and
am very happy. I can walk and drive (i.e. on the way to the ride) in them,
and they feel just as secure as the looks did and they DON'T SQUEEK!

Kyle

Old October 4th 03, 07:09 PM
Mark Boyd

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:

with MTB shoes, you can walk around in them since the cleat is
recessed.. so that's a pretty good benefit if you're riding around
the city and such.. you can go into stores or whever and not walk
around like frankenstein

are the shoes really stiff though like a road shoe?

You can get "MTB" (SPD-compatible) shoes in just about any stiffness you
like, from gooey commuter-baid like the famous SPD sandal, right up to

The Shimano sandal has a nylon (?) stiffening plate that certainly isn't
"gooey" but also isn't nearly as stiff as a good road shoe. I use them for
all my riding because they are so comfortable and because they are great
for walking as well as riding. With eggbeater pedals, which do a better
job of spreading the load out, they are really pretty good for riding.
With SPD cleats, there is a definite hotspot.

Mark www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html
Old October 6th 03, 08:36 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:49:30 GMT, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:
Even more so. I recommend the SH TO-92 shoe because it has smooth
flat rubber soles and doesn't have waffle-stopmper soles that track
dirt into any place you walk after walking on dirt. Take a look:

This is how all SPD shoes should be made, but aren't.

I really like my Sidis, for the fit, and the non-absorbant, quick-drying
synthetic materials. But the plasticky soles with big lugs are stupid. I don't
play rugby or run up muddy hills, where these might be useful, but I spend
plenty of time scrambling over rocks, where they're treacherous.
Matt O.

Hmm..I have Shimano hiking-boot-esque shoes, with moderately
aggressive tread. It helps me get up the hills that I can't bike up
when off-road. However, my road shoes would probably work
just as well, with the SPD cleat digging into the ground for some
strong traction, and off-road, I'm not commonly on smooth, flat,
hard surfaces (like pavement or flooring).

OTOH, I don't bother with my road shoes now that my road bike
has SPD pedals; because when I get off the road bike, I usually
need to walk on a hard, flat, smooth surface.

The systems are backwards! Road shoes should recess, and it
isn't as necessary for MTB shoes.
--
Rick Onanian