SRAM Power Link and MTB?

Old October 4th 03, 03:05 PM
Larry Fieman

Default SRAM Power Link and MTB?

Some "expert" said that it was a bad idea to use a SRAM Power Link on a
MTB -- because a MTB has too many gears. This warning makes no sense
whatsoever to me.

I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy take
the chain off for a proper cleaning.

Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power Link
use on MTBs?

Thanks,
Larry

Old October 4th 03, 05:31 PM
Terry Rudd

Larry,

You are right. There is NO good reason for this warning. SRAM chains
are as strong, reliable and durable as any other manufactured, for both
road and mountain biking. The highest risk of chain failure, other than
extreme wear, is incorrectly rejoining a chain via pin insertion.

Terry

Old October 4th 03, 05:39 PM
Sorni

"Larry Fieman" wrote in message
. net...
Some "expert" said that it was a bad idea to use a SRAM Power Link on a
MTB -- because a MTB has too many gears. This warning makes no sense
whatsoever to me.

I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy

take
the chain off for a proper cleaning.

Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power

Link
use on MTBs?

Everyone I know uses Power Links (heck, the SRAM chains *come* with them,
right?), and AFAIK no one has had any problems.

Bill "9-speed mtb and haven't broken a chain in years (knock on aluminum)"
S.

Old October 4th 03, 05:46 PM
Chris

"Larry Fieman" wrote in message
. net...
Some "expert" said that it was a bad idea to use a SRAM Power Link on a
MTB -- because a MTB has too many gears. This warning makes no sense
whatsoever to me.

I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy

take
the chain off for a proper cleaning.

Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power

Link
use on MTBs?

Thanks,
Larry

What'd he/she mean by "too many gears?" Are you sure he wasn't talking
about a specific - older - chain designed for 7 speed spacing, when the MTB
in question was nine-speed?

I've been running only SRAM chains with Powerlinks on 3 nine-speed bikes for
years...no problems.

Chris

Old October 5th 03, 02:16 PM
Pete Biggs

Larry Fieman wrote:
Some "expert" said that it was a bad idea to use a SRAM Power Link on
MTB -- because a MTB has too many gears. This warning makes no sense
whatsoever to me.

Nor to me because a road bike can have the same number of gears. The only
different aspects might be the way gears are shifted or torque applied or
mud on the chain? I've used Powerlinks on an MTB and road bikes (with
triple 9sps) with no problems.

~PB

Old October 6th 03, 09:22 PM
Werehatrack

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 14:05:48 GMT, "Larry Fieman"
may have said:

Some "expert" said that it was a bad idea to use a SRAM Power Link on a
MTB -- because a MTB has too many gears. This warning makes no sense
whatsoever to me.

I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy take
the chain off for a proper cleaning.

Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power Link
use on MTBs?

IMNSHO, the person who said that must be selling chainbreakers and
pins. The SRAM Powerlink looks precisely the same to the gears as any
other link in the chain, from what I can tell. I've got several,
scattered across a number of bikes, most of which are MTBs in point of
fact, and have had nothing but pleasant results from their use.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old October 7th 03, 03:04 AM
Larry Fieman

snip
I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy

take
the chain off for a proper cleaning.

Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power

Link
use on MTBs?

Thanks for all replies. I just love it when everyone agrees with me.

Regards,
Larry

Old October 7th 03, 04:38 AM
Bill

"Larry Fieman" wrote in message
. net...
snip
I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy

take
the chain off for a proper cleaning.

Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power

Link
use on MTBs?

Thanks for all replies. I just love it when everyone agrees with me.

Regards,
Larry

I have had two fail, one on an mtb and one on a road bike. Both with
moderate miles and good lubrication. Cary a spare and ride home.

Bill Brannon