Sizing a Bike

Old March 1st 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Default Sizing a Bike

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]
Anyone that's seen Jobst out riding would note immediately that he
certainly isn't following any bicycle magazine ads pertaining to
bicycle fit. And most people still can't stay with him when he's in a
hurry.

Andrew Muzi wrote:
You're singing my song, Tom. Modern bikes sold elsewhere keep us quite
busy with tall stem sales.
If you find a solution, would you start working on monster trucks,
please?

Tom Sherman wrote:
butbutbut, Jobst needs the monster trucks to park his bicycle against:
http://i1.tinypic.com/505ukc2.jpg.

That one seems almost benign. Different story when the pilot's on a cell
phone, coffee in the other hand, wildly gesticulating as it drifts into
my lane.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 1st 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Andrew Muzi wrote:
[...]

Tom Sherman wrote:
butbutbut, Jobst needs the monster trucks to park his bicycle against:
http://i1.tinypic.com/505ukc2.jpg.

That one seems almost benign. Different story when the pilot's on a cell
phone, coffee in the other hand, wildly gesticulating as it drifts into
my lane.

I have woken up a couple of these people in vehicles (driver seems too
generous a term) with an Air Zound horn, when they came too close.

Old March 1st 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"still just me" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:36:39 -0800, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo.
com wrote:

Over the years I've followed this fad and that and one of them has been to
ride frame sizes one or two sizes smaller than you should be riding. Today
this also comes down to those idiotic "compact" frames that are too small
in
all sizes.

Obvious justification for riding retro steel.

Indeed and I've noticed that lugged steel bikes are actually becoming more
valuable.

Old March 1st 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Mar 1, 2:20*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andrew Muzi wrote:
[...]

Tom Sherman wrote:
butbutbut, Jobst needs the monster trucks to park his bicycle against:
http://i1.tinypic.com/505ukc2.jpg.

That one seems almost benign. Different story when the pilot's on a cell
phone, coffee in the other hand, wildly gesticulating as it drifts into
my lane.

I have woken up a couple of these people in vehicles (driver seems too
generous a term) with an Air Zound horn, when they came too close.

A couple of blasts from an Air Zound will bring even the densest of
blonde bimbos out of their cell phone induced stupor.
Old March 1st 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tom Sherman:
http://i1.tinypic.com/505ukc2.jpg.

Looks like a *really* tall bike.

Is Jobst that tall?
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 1st 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

com wrote:

Over the years I've followed this fad and that and one of them has been to
ride frame sizes one or two sizes smaller than you should be riding. Today
this also comes down to those idiotic "compact" frames that are too small
in
all sizes.

Obvious justification for riding retro steel.

Indeed and I've noticed that lugged steel bikes are actually becoming more
valuable.

Except a lot of the Italian retro steel frames in my size -- 63/4 cm
-- had short top tubes, like 58.5. That's one reason I like more
modern frames. What is odd to me is that I loved my old steel frames
in the '70s and '80s and put tons of miles on them, but now when I
ride my last remaining vintage steel frame bike, it gives me a back
ache because it is too cramped in the cockpit. I guess I stretched
out. -- Jay Beattie.
Old March 2nd 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Per Tom Sherman:

Why, yes. http://www.sbraweb.org/photos/2001/jobst/jobst.jpg.

Old March 2nd 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Colin Campbell wrote:
Wow! It's been a while since I saw a bike with clearance for a pump
behind the seat tube. I'm guessing that isn't his climbing bike....

Here is Jobst climbing an alpine pass on said yellow bicycle:
http://www.kenpapai.com/cycling/rbr/jobst1.jpg.

Old March 2nd 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

By all means ride the position that is comfortable. But since
aerodynamics are such a factor in cycling, I find it puzzlng that
cyclists don't discuss flexibility training that would allow the lower
positions in comfort. Especially say, compared to other factors that
enjoy vigorous discussion such a frame material, weight, and other
more marginal improvements. I hurt my back a few years ago, and found
the physiotherapy actually made my riding more comfortable. I've kept
up the streching for fear of that pain again, and enjoy the position I
adopted as a teen doing pursuits (ie low bars). (I'm 50 in a month).
Granted, stretching requires some dedication, but frredom from back
pain , with an aero position as a bonus, seems worth it. No pressure
on the tender bits either if you're flexible enough to ride with your
pelvis rolled back a bit.
Old March 2nd 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

mtb Dad wrote:
By all means ride the position that is comfortable. But since
aerodynamics are such a factor in cycling, I find it puzzlng that
cyclists don't discuss flexibility training that would allow the lower
positions in comfort.

Flexibility is important, but let's take my bike for example. The stem
is 1 inch below the nose of the saddle. Tops and hoods are very
comfortable. My drops aren't very far away, so they're good and nice
too. If I'm really hammering away, all I have to do is bend my elbows
slightly and my back is quite flat.

Getting aerodynamic doesn't do squat if you have to keep your arms
straight to do so (leads to numb hands, sore arms, etc IME). Raising
the bars encourages me to bend my elbows and seems to have been a very
good thing. I'm 25 and pretty limber, BTW.

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

Bike sizing Sticky Wicket Techniques 10 March 2nd 07 01:59 PM
bike sizing chris c General 4 April 2nd 05 05:22 PM
bike sizing Michael UK 4 November 30th 03 05:57 PM
Bike Sizing article Drinky UK 8 October 8th 03 03:08 PM
Bike sizing Bob M General 17 August 3rd 03 01:35 PM