dead cyclist

Old March 10th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default dead cyclist

On Mar 9, 9:06 pm, A Muzi wrote:
Santa Clara county sheriff's deputy 'accidentally' crossed the
centerline in his cruiser hitting 3 cyclists, 1 fatally. Headline only
on WABC radio news just now.
--
Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...GTJ1.DTL&tsp=1
Old March 10th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sally

A Muzi wrote in
:
Santa Clara county sheriff's deputy 'accidentally' crossed the
centerline in his cruiser hitting 3 cyclists, 1 fatally. Headline only
on WABC radio news just now.

There is video of the crash site on ktvu.com
Appears to be a wide road with wide bike lanes on both sides.

Old March 10th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

RECENT DEVELOPMENTS

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g..._o8aQD8V8QNRO0
Old March 10th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:

RECENT DEVELOPMENTS

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g..._o8aQD8V8QNRO0

Boere makes the worst LBS customers tolerable by comparison.

Old March 10th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Andrew Muzi wrote:
Santa Clara county sheriff's deputy 'accidentally' crossed the
centerline in his cruiser hitting 3 cyclists, 1 fatally. Headline only
on WABC radio news just now.

To Protect and Serve?

Old March 10th 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 9, 7:06 pm, A Muzi wrote:
Santa Clara county sheriff's deputy 'accidentally' crossed the
centerline in his cruiser hitting 3 cyclists, 1 fatally. Headline only
on WABC radio news just now.
--
Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Same road where Jeffrey Steinwedel was killed in 1996. I know his
widow in Cupertino, and live across town from her, not far from
Stevens Canyon Road.

We have no police department in Cupertino, nor does the neighboring
city of Saratoga. Both contract with the Santa Clara county sheriff's
office for police services. The problem is that the deputies are very
inexperienced in law enforcement, and are typically those that can't
get a job in a city police force where the pay is much better. They
don't know the vehicle code very well either. I have a colleague who's
husband is a Palo Alto police officer, and don't get him started on
the sheriff's deputies! However I've never witnessed them engaged in
reckless driving such as what happened today, only the usual practice
of not using turn signals, running red lights, etc.
Old March 10th 08, 09:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

On Mar 9, 9:20 pm, landotter wrote:
On Mar 9, 9:06 pm, A Muzi wrote:

Santa Clara county sheriff's deputy 'accidentally' crossed the
centerline in his cruiser hitting 3 cyclists, 1 fatally. Headline only
on WABC radio news just now.
--
Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...3/09/BAKSVGTJ1...

How can someone "accidentally cross the centerline?" It wasn't an
accident, it was inattention and there should be criminal charges
filed against the deputy. Any driver of a motor vehicle must realize
they are piloting a potentially dangerous weapon and MUST take due
care. This should be especially so for a police officer ... one of our
so called "protectors." But all a motorist has to say when an
"accident" happens involving a cyclist is, "I didn't see him." That BS
has got to stop.
Old March 10th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben Kaufman

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 22:58:57 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
| Andrew Muzi wrote:
| Santa Clara county sheriff's deputy 'accidentally' crossed the
| centerline in his cruiser hitting 3 cyclists, 1 fatally. Headline only
| on WABC radio news just now.
|
| To Protect and Serve?

Thankfully, it's very rare that we hear of incidents involving patrol cars
causing accidents, outside of hot pursuits. And even rarer an accident
involving a patrol car and a cyclist.

It's an odd thing when you hear about a fatal bicycle accident on the radio,
just before you head out on a ride. And the issue of whether riding a bike
is "safe" is going to come up frequently over the next few weeks... many
customers are going to be bringing it up, and we've already had a newspaper
come by for information and quotes.

But I don't suspect this accident will "prove" anything. It's not going to
support anyone's contention that roads are improperly built for cyclists, or
that better education for motorists would have prevented it. One of the news
reports says the deputy told someone that he may have fallen asleep at the
wheel. If it's as simple as that, how do you prevent it? In this particular
incident, had it been a car in the other direction, it's entirely possible
the results could have been similarly-tragic. And equally inescapable, in a
cruelly random sort of way.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I am usually cheering the cops pulling over the crazy cagers who think the roads
in Harriman State Park are their private Grand Prix Track.

Ben

Police want assistance in identifying dead cyclist Peter Fox[_2_] UK 0 July 19th 07 12:55 AM
Cyclist dead: 6 months loss of licence Peter Australia 53 June 2nd 07 09:44 AM
Today's dead cyclist Steve UK 10 March 27th 07 06:41 AM
Cyclist dead in car strike (Melbourne) ghostgum Australia 0 September 28th 06 11:25 PM
Dead cyclist finally ID'd. Callistus Valerius Racing 5 December 23rd 04 07:54 PM