WHAT is the asking price for a perfect 1967 first run TREK?

Old March 14th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default WHAT is the asking price for a perfect 1967 first run TREK?

anyone have one in the garage?
Old March 15th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

datakoll wrote:
anyone have one in the garage?

Surely you mean "1976?"

IIRC 1977 was the first year, yes?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 15th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default WHAT is the asking price for a perfect 1976 1976 first run TREK?

Yes, A 1976 BURKE-Bevil Hogg 'TREK'

Quoting the NYT Burke Obit:
"With his friend Bevil Hogg, Mr. Burke started the Trek company in
1976, in a barn in Waterloo, Wis"
"That first year in the barn, the Trek company produced 805 handmade,
finely detailed road bikes and earned $161,000."
Old March 16th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

"Trek's previous entity was one block away from us so we were surely
not 'in the loop'."

when did Trek weld? 3AM ? Did Trek use a front lika bakery?

I went to get an Evil Hog bio and found a shut down virus. I did get
the idea he snot the welder.
Well. failing a cost analysis for those beatiful handmade bicycles, do
the frame have merit? can the frames be seen in daylight?

anyone been over to Waterloo ? is here a fence? dogs? roadblock...

Old March 16th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

Early (pre-1980) treks show up on ebay quite commonly. I believe that
for the first 2-3 years, they were sold as either standalone
framesets, or full-custom bicycles which could be ordered with parts
to suit the customer (like schwinn paramounts, but without fixed
prices I believe ...)

In my opinion, early (pre-1985) TREK bikes have very nice brazing but
very dull and uninspiring graphics. A NOS frame from that era in 531
tubing I imagine would sell on ebay in the $300-$500 range, depending
upon the tubing (lightweight or loaded touring?) and the extras
(e.g. campy headset).

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-o-z.html#trek

Many 501 and 531 frames (and sometimes entire bikes) sell in the
$100-$200 range, so this is definitely a premium over the typical
early TREK bike.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA

Old March 17th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

OUTSTANDING TRACK! thanks Don.I'll keep an eye out for an EGBates or
Vent Noir.
alas, no cheap asian imports.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-o-z.html#trek
Old March 17th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On 2008-03-15, datakoll wrote:

when did Trek weld? *3AM ? Did Trek use a front lika bakery?

I went to get an Evil Hog bio and found a shut down virus. I did get
the idea he snot the welder.

That's "Bevil Hogg."

No, he was not a welder. He was a bike shop owner with an Idea. IIRC
Mike Appel was the first brazer hired by Trek. Dick Nolan was the
machinist who made most of the original fixtues. I still have a number
of the original Trek frame jigs here.

Well. failing a cost analysis for those beatiful handmade bicycles, do
the frame have merit? can the frames be seen in daylight?

Sure, they have value but I'm not certain there are a lot of 1970s
production Treks still on the road.

--

John )

John, I don't mean to pry but why: "I still have a number
of the original Trek frame jigs here. " ?

"I'm not certain there are a lot of 1970s
production Treks still on the road"

with what were the ID's painted?

how would you describe a 76 Trek's feel with a modern wheelset and
tires?

Old March 18th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

John,

with what were the ID's painted?

I'm not sure I understand this question.

unpainted frames rust out but lack of care...was meant as funny.

Was the idea behind Burke and Hogg's endeavor profit from the
established overpriced Euro/Campy levels?

Who designed frames? Nolan? did Nolan ride ?
Old March 18th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

zzzzzzzzzzzk

FS: 2003 Trek Diesel DH, perfect condition Todd Marketplace 0 May 10th 06 07:30 AM
FS: 2003 Trek Diesel DH, perfect condition Todd Marketplace 0 February 22nd 06 07:59 AM
FS: Trek Diesel DH/FR complete, 2003, perfect! Todd Marketplace 0 September 17th 05 07:37 PM
Price Trek Frame Johoo Mountain Biking 7 September 10th 03 03:56 PM
FS: 2000 Trek "Armstrong" limited Edition, 54cm perfect $2700.00 scott Marketplace 1 July 31st 03 09:41 PM