Is this the world’s most expensive bike?

Old January 14th 14, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Is this the world’s most expensive bike?

Is this the world’s most expensive bike?
http://www.chainreactionhub.com/late...expensive-bike

Gee, for a million bucks I'd like some innovation too, not just bling that will wear off at the first application of the brakes.

Andre Jute
Old January 14th 14, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 1/14/2014 10:52 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

Is this the world’s most expensive bike?
http://www.chainreactionhub.com/late...expensive-bike

Gee, for a million bucks I'd like some innovation too, not just bling that will wear off at the first application of the brakes.

Andre Jute

The funniest part is, its just electroplated..... and you can assemble a
26" all-gold-plated lowrider/cruiser bike for about $500 USD or so.

For that kinda money I'd have expected beryllium or something.
http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/American.html --(scroll down
to year 1993)

Old January 14th 14, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/14/2014 2:07 PM, Doug Cimperman wrote:
On 1/14/2014 10:52 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

Is this the world’s most expensive bike?
http://www.chainreactionhub.com/late...expensive-bike

Gee, for a million bucks I'd like some innovation too, not
just bling that will wear off at the first application of
the brakes.

Andre Jute

The funniest part is, its just electroplated..... and you
can assemble a 26" all-gold-plated lowrider/cruiser bike for
about $500 USD or so.

For that kinda money I'd have expected beryllium or something.
http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/American.html
--(scroll down to year 1993)

And if they used a one-micron plate it's not very expensive.
Wipes right through with a cotton polishing cloth if you're
not careful.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 14th 14, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 15/01/14 07:56, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/14/2014 2:07 PM, Doug Cimperman wrote:
On 1/14/2014 10:52 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

Is this the world’s most expensive bike?
http://www.chainreactionhub.com/late...expensive-bike

Gee, for a million bucks I'd like some innovation too, not
just bling that will wear off at the first application of
the brakes.

Andre Jute

The funniest part is, its just electroplated..... and you
can assemble a 26" all-gold-plated lowrider/cruiser bike for
about $500 USD or so.

For that kinda money I'd have expected beryllium or something.
http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/American.html
--(scroll down to year 1993)

And if they used a one-micron plate it's not very expensive. Wipes right
through with a cotton polishing cloth if you're not careful.

Speaking of wearing off at the first application of the brakes, I have
finally damaged one of my two Mavic OpenPro Ceramic rims. I suspect the
real damage occurred a few months ago when I had a minor altercation
with a car driver and his car, that left my front wheel a little
buckled, but I managed to true it up. Upon inspection on Saturday I
noticed a good crack and piece separating from around one of the spoke
holes.

I think this rim made up the rear wheel of a pair I bought some 12+
years ago. It's probably seen more abuse than the original front that
is now a part of my SP dynamo front wheel.

Needless to say, the ceramic braking surface is *still* just dandy. No
appreciable wear to speak of, after a good 100,000+km.

Such a shame no other rim manufacturer has done it and Mavic stopped
doing it. If I could buy another pair of these rims I would in a heart
beat. I don't think Mavic's current Exalith coating is as good, from
what I've read, nor is it available on rims not built into Mavic wheels.

--
JS
Old January 14th 14, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:10:05 PM UTC, James wrote:
On 15/01/14 07:56, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I'd say that a rim with 100K on it has earned honorable retirement! -- Andre Jute
Old January 15th 14, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 15/01/14 10:19, Andre Jute wrote:

I'd say that a rim with 100K on it has earned honorable retirement! -- Andre Jute

It's certainly been retyred plenty of times. (Sorry).

--
JS
Old January 15th 14, 12:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:04:44 AM UTC, James wrote:
On 15/01/14 10:19, Andre Jute wrote:

I'd say that a rim with 100K on it has earned honorable retirement! -- Andre Jute

It's certainly been retyred plenty of times. (Sorry).

--

JS

As a matter of interest, what sort of mileage do you expect out of tyres on your road bike?

Andre Jute

Old January 15th 14, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Turbo Caymans generate semen like Hollande's girlfirends but seriously where can I drive it ?
Old January 15th 14, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:17:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Turbo Caymans generate semen like Hollande's girlfirends but seriously where can I drive it ?

way before the facto...

where's the audience for this bs ?

http://www.chainreactionhub.com/mtb/...before-you-die