Traction

Old February 17th 16, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Traction

We got 12" of wet, dense snow today, but the plows came out, and the
roads aren't terrible, despite a bit of slush and some snowy patches. So
this evening, when I had to pick up a prescription at the local
pharmacy, I flicked on the dynohub headlight & taillight and rode to the
pharmacy and back. As I did so, I noticed a reflex retained from my
teenage years of winter newspaper delivery by bicycle.

When I'm making a turn on a surface that is, or might be, very slippery,
of course I slow down. But I also reflexively make an effort to keep
the bike vertical. To balance, I lean my body inward from the bike.

Obviously, the center of gravity of my body+bike must be a bit inward
(i.e. toward the center of the curve) for balance and stability. The
amount the c.g. is inward is a simple function of speed and radius of
turn. But in dry conditions, I achieve this by tilting the bike while
keeping my body in the normal position relative to the bike. In
slippery conditions, I do it instead by leaning my body away from the bike.

Do others do this? If so, why?

To achieve a certain lateral acceleration (or sharpness of turn), the
amount of lateral friction force (or traction) is fixed. And I don't
think there's any great difference in friction coefficient for my
Paselas when they're vertical vs. tilted, so the likelihood of a skid
shouldn't be much different. Psychologically, it _feels_ like some sort
of secondary effect - as if I have a better chance of stopping the
slide, or catching the bike, or just not falling, if the bike is vertical.

Maybe this is a valuable reflex I picked up by trial and error in my
paperboy days. Or maybe it's some unconscious superstition. At my age,
I'm a bit afraid to do an A-B test to see.

So: Comments?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 17th 16, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
deacon mark

I did it on the ice 10 weeks ago and broke my hip if you remember so be
careful. I am happy to report I am back to riding outside if I want when the
weather gets better but even to my surprise I started back running a week
ago easy. Have run 5.5 miles past two days on the treadmill.

But if I were you given my experience with ice just stay on the trainer.

Deacon mark cleary

Old February 17th 16, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

you taught engineering n have a degree ?

Old February 17th 16, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:34:40 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I think that turning while keeping the bike vertical, i.e., by simply
turning the handle bars, is probably how most kids who are first
learning to ride turn and usually they fall over a few times before
they learn to lean the bike.

But, on the other hand if either the front or rear wheel skid one
automatically, it seems, compensate by trying to move the CG toward
the outside of the turn, in the direction of the skid. If on foot
slips and slides happen very quickly and it is hard to remember what
one did but if skating one tends to do the same thing throw one's
weight in the direction of the skid to try and stay vertical.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 17th 16, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 17/02/16 01:34, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Yep. Makes me feel like a Motorcycle Grand Prix racer.

To achieve a certain lateral acceleration (or sharpness of turn), the
amount of lateral friction force (or traction) is fixed. And I don't
think there's any great difference in friction coefficient for my
Paselas when they're vertical vs. tilted, so the likelihood of a skid
shouldn't be much different. Psychologically, it _feels_ like some sort
of secondary effect - as if I have a better chance of stopping the
slide, or catching the bike, or just not falling, if the bike is vertical.

I *think* it gives a small margin. With the normal turn the CoG, point
of lateral resistance (CoLR) are in a plane, if the CoLR moves outwards,
out of plane, the CoG is now helping it move further out of plane. If
you hang off, you get a few inches while the *opposite* is happening.

Just my tuppence worth.

Old February 17th 16, 10:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Jobst Brandt addressed the question of bicycle/rider angle and traction in one of his short FAQ pieces. Try Google. I'm not so sure there's anything to add to what he wrote.

Andre Jute
Now let us praise famous men -- Ecclesiastes
Old February 17th 16, 11:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 5:17:56 AM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
Jobst Brandt addressed the question of bicycle/rider angle and traction in one of his short FAQ pieces. Try Google. I'm not so sure there's anything to add to what he wrote.

Andre Jute
Now let us praise famous men -- Ecclesiastes

COUNTERSTEERING, AND LEANING WEIGHT FORWARD FOR FRONT WHEEL TRACTION REDUCES FRONT WHEEL TURNING FOR ALL TURNS IN THAT FRONT WHEEL DOESN'T TURN AS MUCH.
TURNING A WHEEL FROM THE PREVIOUS PATH REDUCES GRIP: NEWTON

AND NOT COUNTERSTEERING REDUCES CONTACT SURFACE.

NOT COUNTERSTEERING REDUCES SECONDARY MOTIONS POTENTIALS INSIDE THE NOW TURNING WHEEL...ALL ADDITIVE FROM YAW FORCES OUTSIDE THE PREVIOUS PATH. INCREASING DISTORTION OF CONTACT PATCH.
Old February 17th 16, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/16/2016 6:34 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've noticed that; one intuitively tends to keep the
bike more vertical where there are traction losses like
ice/snow. Maybe for faster correction to front slip?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 17th 16, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/17/2016 5:13 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Obviously he needs a two wheel drive or AWD bicycle for these conditions.

Old February 17th 16, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_20_]

For your reference, records indicate that
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Do others do this? If so, why?

I like to keep my body weight as dynamic as possible when riding over
questionable surfaces. When riding in snow, even along a straight line,
my experience tells me that I’m going to be better able to man-handle
the machine to keep it upright if I don’t have all my weight dead on the
seat.

Psychologically, it _feels_ like some sort
of secondary effect - as if I have a better chance of stopping the
slide, or catching the bike, or just not falling, if the bike is vertical.

This may be part of the reason I do it, too, but it may also have a physical basis. A bike that is farther from vertical seems like it will not *regain* traction as easily as one that is near vertical. And if a point of contact
starts to slide, I don’t expect recovery is going to be very possible if I
am stuck with the tilt+gravity adding energy to the problem.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Traction Q's Joseph S Techniques 16 February 21st 11 02:31 PM
TRACTION AIDS kolldata Techniques 3 January 5th 11 01:55 PM
Road paint and traction [email protected] Techniques 9 July 18th 07 09:50 PM
Positive Traction Axel Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 16 June 9th 05 12:28 PM
Max Traction 24" Muni on e bay spider Unicycling 3 February 19th 05 06:26 PM